By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - No plans for PSP successor?

Yeah I think this guy should have definatly declined comment. I think a PSP2 would be a tremendous success and they should definatly do it. Like the OP said, not bieng an owner but there are definatly games on it. Judging from IGN reviews it's neck and neck with DS on 8.5+ titles (last I checked). I think this person is just full of fail.

I guess we can hope this is just another move to keep info from emerging bfore they are ready to make an announcement.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Around the Network

"A portable console following the same philosophy as the PS1 and 2 had enormous potential and could possibly even lead to burying Nintendo (remember this was pre-Wii)."

Although they didn't actually try the strategy of the first two with the PSP. They tried to sell a multimedia system and a new video format, with gaming being fumbled by assuming there was a "handheld gaming ghetto".

What happened with the DS is what the PS1 actually did, offer a new type of gaming at an affordable cost to developers and gamers, while the PS2 was making a system focused for gaming (had an experimental structure that help change the way games were rendered), with movies as a bonus.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
"A portable console following the same philosophy as the PS1 and 2 had enormous potential and could possibly even lead to burying Nintendo (remember this was pre-Wii)."

Although they didn't actually try the strategy of the first two with the PSP. They tried to sell a multimedia system and a new video format, with gaming being fumbled by assuming there was a "handheld gaming ghetto".

What happened with the DS is what the PS1 actually did, offer a new type of gaming at an affordable cost to developers and gamers, while the PS2 was making a system focused for gaming (had an experimental structure that help change the way games were rendered), with movies as a bonus.

I think it really did follow a similar philosophy. The gamer growth of the PS's and the DS are quite different. the DS has attracted millions with accessible games like brain training, Nintendogs, Animal crossing and lots of other games that people who never would have thought about getting a gaming console could play.

THe PS1's growth came from attracting an older male demographic with games like Gran Turismo, Resident Evil and Driver. The PSP seemed to take the same route. Using the larger disc format and the more powerful processor, the PSP tried to push the kinds of games that made the PS's huge in to a handheld arena. And they're great games, but the handheld market for them just isn't as large.

One could argue that pushing UMD's is more like the PS3 pushing Blu-Ray than it is the PS1 or 2 capitalizing on existing formats, but they all saw Sony trying to use a new or relatively new format to make more space to make more detailed and male demographic pleasing games.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

I meant the way the PS1 succeeded was similar to the DS. Again, offering a new gaming experience over established ways, at a better price for developers and gamers.

The thing with the PSP was just assuming people wanted multimedia and more advanced games.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

good. i am fine will playing my portables in the "gaming ghetto".

the psp was a stupid attempt at being a gaming console.
hardly any good games, it just sat around and gathered dust.

hello how are you.

Around the Network

David Reeves should keep his mouth shut. Bloody idiot...

They dont need a PSP 2. They just need some quality original titles to expand the audience. The PSP is already more advanced and technological than the DS why make a second one and compete against them selves

Long Live SHIO!

Paperdiego said:
good. i am fine will playing my portables in the "gaming ghetto".

the psp was a stupid attempt at being a gaming console.
hardly any good games, it just sat around and gathered dust.

What the hell are you talking about? Just looking at IGN reviews, it has about the same number of quality games as DS.

@LordTheNightKnight

PSP's games were nowhere near as advanced as DS's.
before the PSP consoles were already producing games exactly like the ones on the PSP(they were on PS2,pc, GC, xbox).
Before DS there was no electronics console or otherwise playing games with touch capabilities( that were as advanced as they are on the ds)

-my two cents

hello how are you.

Paperdiego said:
@LordTheNightKnight

PSP's games were nowhere near as advanced as DS's.
before the PSP consoles were already producing games exactly like the ones on the PSP(they were on PS2,pc, GC, xbox).
Before DS there was no electronics console or otherwise playing games with touch capabilities( that were as advanced as they are on the ds)

-my two cents

You'd think that wasn't my point, when it was. "offering a new gaming experience over established ways". What did you think that meant?