By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Did the economic recession helps Wii and Nintendo? About the latest NPD...

yep, statistically ( especially in the past, 30's, 40's, think wizard of oz) even this year more people are going to the movies and also the video game market seems to the only industry that has, compared with other sales, been much less affected by the overall retail drop.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
The recession helped in so far as it made the console with the highest perceived value even more valuable to the consumers. It's not so much about the price as it is about the value.

This is spot on.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Hmm. Didnt know that, good to know... Anyway I wonder if in coming January Wiis are in 500,000 a week right now, it happened during 2007 christmas season then in January of 2008 making early months of 2008 seem looks like holiday season...

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

I think they finally got the numbers right this year and we will see record after record till May again.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

If it were all about price, the 360 should have seen a much bigger boost, and it should have come at the Wii's expense.

The recession is probably helping consoles in general, much as the Depression helped the motion picture industry. But I don't think it's favoring any one console.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network

I think the recession helped consoles in general but not one particular console. The problem with the Wii has always been it's demand is greater than its supply. Now Nintendo has increased their supply to fill the demand. Remember the demand has always been there.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

Now Im just thinking when this selling last till the saturation point, I think the Wiis are keeping selling even the Wii hits 50 million and still not pass the saturation point.

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

If it were about price, the 360 would be out selling everyone.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

What does that mean exactly for the Wii? The saturation point for this product, marketable to almost everyone, could be incomprehensible even to people that have experience with "the everyone market" like Will Wright and Disney.

Any saturation assumption is probably unrealistic when considering how different the Wii actually is

RolStoppable said:
yushire said:
Now Im just thinking when this selling last till the saturation point, I think the Wiis are keeping selling even the Wii hits 50 million and still not pass the saturation point.

When you say 50m, you are talking only about America, right?

Why? do you think the saturation point will hit in 50 million in america alone? D: Im talking in worldwide. In that time, the competiton have nothing to compete anyway, I think in that time HD consoles hits the saturation point.

E3 2010- Tape runs out