By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to help advertise DQ in west?

From 1up:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171782

"It was easy to miss the comment amidst the clangor of yesterday's announcement of Dragon Quest X for Wii -- a comment that would seem to suggest Nintendo and Square Enix are making plans for the promotion of the DQ brand in the West. Speaking to media after the press conference, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said:

"With the release of Dragon Quest IX, there are two things I'd like to make reality. The first is to build a thriving Japanese game market together with Dragon Quest that rivals the West's. The second is to form a strong tag team to promote Dragon Quest overseas. At Nintendo, we were able to popularize the Brain Age series overseas, which was said to be unmarketable. I want to increase the number of people worldwide that understand the appeal of Dragon Quest, which represents all Japanese gaming culture...even if that only turns out to be a single person. I'm looking forward to working together with Mr. Horii and Square Enix."

Assuming Iwata's quote represents concrete evidence of cross-promotion and not simply PR fluff, will the Nintendo stamp on Dragon Quest make it the next Pokémon or Brain Training? Will a $20 million marketing machine for an extremely Japanese RPG ensure U.S. success? We'll have to wait and see."

Wii owners have heard alot about the lack fo third party and the lack of marketing from Nintendo for any type of game that is not considered casual. I think Iwata's quote here though, shows what the wii is really about. Like malstrom has said in his articles, Iwata is not content in just having someone pick up wii sports and MK, he is moving these gamers upstream into a new and different type of experience. I think this bodes even better for the future than I had even previously thought.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Around the Network

I really dont know why will Nintendo pay for the advertisement of a third party game

MANUELF said:
I really dont know why will Nintendo pay for the advertisement of a third party game

cause its a huge game, and nintendo loves the support.

maybe if they do this SE will be like... oh, lets put kh3 on the wii. :D

All right this topic was here first.

Sorry, Bod!

So, this has the potential to be huge. Doesn't this have the potential to be huge? Nintendo's a wiz at marketing!

Because almost every game Nintendo markets is an instant success. They turned every single game this gen into a success, the ones they actually advertised. They know that when people see "Nintendo" they see quality.

Around the Network

I think this is really smart for Nintendo, since many third parties have seem to be retarded when it comes to advertising their Wii games correctly, if at all.

Though I saw a COD:WaW Wii commercial, complete with people using the zapper. It was pretty interesting, wasn't really expecting to see a Wii commercial for that game. Maybe Nintendo is finally picking up the slack, just because they are tired of it?

All right, back to here (curse you, Bod).

So, what does this mean for the Dragon Quest series? How will Nintendo try to push this? Will they try to make it as big as Final Fantasy?

As big as Pokemon?

Where will it end?

Khuutra said:

So, what does this mean for the Dragon Quest series? How will Nintendo try to push this? Will they try to make it as big as Final Fantasy?

As big as Pokemon?

Where will it end?

It probably won't be close to any of those in the west (especially not Pokemon. What are you, crazy?). Now, the DS game could beat any previous installment in the series, and probably each FF13 version, but it won't beat the best selling FFs, nor the worst selling Pokemons.

If FF decreases a lot this gen, DQ could be almost as big though (WW).

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Oyvoyvoyv said:
Khuutra said:

As big as Pokemon?

Where will it end?

It probably won't be close to any of those in the west (especially not Pokemon. What are you, crazy?). Now, the DS game could beat any previous installment in the series, and probably each FF13 version, but it won't beat the best selling FFs, nor the worst selling Pokemons.

Not as crazy as this news!

Seriously though I wasn't serious with the Pokemon thing.

And if Dragon Quest IX is huge, Dragon Quest X could be even huge-er.

Khuutra said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
Khuutra said:

As big as Pokemon?

Where will it end?

Not as crazy as this news!

Seriously though I wasn't serious with the Pokemon thing.

And if Dragon Quest IX is huge, Dragon Quest X could be even huge-er.

What if DQ IX is small?

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS