By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Dark Knight shifts 600,000 on blu-ray

The Dark Knight currently has 20% of the sales. Last I heard it sold about 3M first day with 600k of it being BD sales. That is about 20% exactly.

The Dark Knight is also on pace to hit 7M by weeks end, putting the BD version, if these numbers hold up to reach 1.4M copies sold.

Then take into account BD sales have been very good since Black Friday and sales of this movie should continue to see strong sales until after Christmas.

I expect over 2M sold before the year is out, a fairly safe prediction.

Not bad for a format that people don't care for, huh MS?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
taxman said:
HappySqurriel said:

I still think your getting ahead of yourself ...

The PS3 version of GTA4 is still sold better eventhough the PS3's userbase then was far smaller than Blu-Ray's userbase today. Being that The Dark Knight is (probably) very high on the list of most wanted Blu-Ray movies for the market demographic that has adopted Blu-Ray already, the sales are not that amazing; basically, you would expect a disproportionate number of people to buy The Dark Night on Blu-Ray than most movies because of the demographics.

Big sales in movies like Momma-Mia and High School Musical would be more telling that Blu-Ray was being adopted beyond the crowd of people who were buying a PS3 already.

It's the new movies that will eventually make people consider the format for the older movies as well... However, no one is going to buy mediocre films on BR unless the price is as low as the DVD.

So how did Momma-Mia and Sex in the city do on Blu-Ray? They're two of the biggest movies of the year and represent a demographic that would (probably) not already own a PS3 to play games with ... In other words they are pretty good tests to see if Blu-Ray is reaching out to new demographics.

600,000 is very good sales, but it doesn't show anything except that PS3 owners are willing to buy Blu-Ray movies on occasion.

NJ5 said:

These numbers look good, but the DVD version will probably outsell the Blu-Ray one by a larger margin for months to come.

First day buyers = enthusiastic movie fans = people who tend to have Blu-Ray (i.e. the same reason why core games have less legs than traditional ones)

Definitely good news for Blu-Ray, but let's not pretend it has 30% of the market share even for new movies.

That is true, but the percentage is so high that it means it's moving out of early adoption and into the mainstream

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

leo-j said:
Infamous...blu-ray is gaining market share not loosing it, microsoft believes blu-ray is a dead format. 30% market share of the biggest movie of the year isnt bad.

Do you have an evidence of this?

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

taxman said:
NJ5 said:

These numbers look good, but the DVD version will probably outsell the Blu-Ray one by a larger margin for months to come.

First day buyers = enthusiastic movie fans = people who tend to have Blu-Ray (i.e. the same reason why core games have less legs than traditional ones)

Definitely good news for Blu-Ray, but let's not pretend it has 30% of the market share even for new movies.

That is true, but the percentage is so high that it means it's moving out of early adoption and into the mainstream

What percentage of the general public do you think will have seen the Dark Knight by the end of 2008?
What percentage of geeky (often comic-book loving) early adopter gamers (who are far more likely to own a PS3) will have seen the Dark Knight by the end of 2008?

If you don't get it, this movie demonstrates Blu-Ray's popularity with people who are far more likely to own a PS3 than the general public.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
taxman said:
HappySqurriel said:

The PS3 version of GTA4 is still sold better eventhough the PS3's userbase then was far smaller than Blu-Ray's userbase today. Being that The Dark Knight is (probably) very high on the list of most wanted Blu-Ray movies for the market demographic that has adopted Blu-Ray already, the sales are not that amazing; basically, you would expect a disproportionate number of people to buy The Dark Night on Blu-Ray than most movies because of the demographics.

Big sales in movies like Momma-Mia and High School Musical would be more telling that Blu-Ray was being adopted beyond the crowd of people who were buying a PS3 already.

It's the new movies that will eventually make people consider the format for the older movies as well... However, no one is going to buy mediocre films on BR unless the price is as low as the DVD.

So how did Momma-Mia and Sex in the city do on Blu-Ray? They're two of the biggest movies of the year and represent a demographic that would (probably) not already own a PS3 to play games with ... In other words they are pretty good tests to see if Blu-Ray is reaching out to new demographics.

600,000 is very good sales, but it doesn't show anything except that PS3 owners are willing to buy Blu-Ray movies on occasion.

People are buying the players in increasing numbers. The PS3 might be the most popular player but 30% of total sales does not mean they buy them "on occasion" in this case, it's more like embracing. Anyway, the other films you mentioned would have done better if BR was more mainstream than what it is now. It still have a long way to go and that way is only up.

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

But....but...blu ray is dead right?

HappySqurriel said:
taxman said:
NJ5 said:

What percentage of the general public do you think will have seen the Dark Knight by the end of 2008?
What percentage of geeky (often comic-book loving) early adopter gamers (who are far more likely to own a PS3) will have seen the Dark Knight by the end of 2008?

If you don't get it, this movie demonstrates Blu-Ray's popularity with people who are far more likely to own a PS3 than the general public.

BR players weren't below $200 for the whole year... It needs time to enter the mainstream

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

taxman said:
HappySqurriel said:
taxman said:
HappySqurriel said:

People are buying the players in increasing numbers. The PS3 might be the most popular player but 30% of total sales does not mean they buy them "on occasion" in this case, it's more like embracing. Anyway, the other films you mentioned would have done better if BR was more mainstream than what it is now. It still have a long way to go and that way is only up.

My point is that you're using a movie that will (likely) be owned by 25% of "Core" gamers (due to demographic overlaps) and exclaiming that it demonstrates that a format is being adopted beyond the "Core" gamer crowd when it sells well ... When movies that 13 to 25 year old males perform well on Blu-Ray I think it will demonstrate the format is branching out.

taxman said:

BR players weren't below $200 for the whole year... It needs time to enter the mainstream

I have a hard time believing Blu-Ray is entering the mainstream when I read tidbits like these:

Players for Blu-ray discs, the high-definition successor to the DVD, did relatively well, since the prices are now below $200. Retailers sold 147,000 units, excluding Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 consoles, which can also play the discs. But the older format is still king: Three times as many DVD players were sold.

Source

Actually this surprised me... Who the heck does not have a DVD player yet? I guess many people are buying upscaling ones which could explain it.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957