By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN:Console Showdown For 2008

See my edit, I checked gamerankings and it does have only 41 AAA PC games, less than PS2 alone.

Yes, it seems even more reliable 

Around the Network

?? There's 171 AAA PC titles listed on gamerankings. I mean +90% games.

I think you have to remove the 20-reviews limit to check on it, unless you expect PC games like Doom 2, Starcraft, Baldur's Gate, World of Goo and Fallout to not be counted for PC.

Wii Exclusives in 2008

This was a ...strange ... year for Wii owners. On one hand, Nintendo has aggressively expanded in the market, forging forwards in the sales charts off the back of massive successes with Wii Fit and the continued popularity of the Wii Sports pack-in. Of course, unless you count yourself amongst the most banal of mainstream Wii-owning society (and come on, you're reading IGN, so clearly you've impeccable taste and common sense), then jaunts of Wii Fit and the occasional tennis match just aren't enough to keep you going long-term. You need more. And no, you don't want another half-assed port of a PlayStation 2 game that's ugly as sin and plays terribly. You want quality, and as far as the Wii is concerned, that means you need titles developed exclusively for the system to take advantage of its unique controls and *ahem* special technical abilities.

Wii Exclusive Title Review Score
Boom Blox 8.1 [US]
Castlevania Judgment 7.5 [US]
de Blob 8.4 [US]
Disaster: Day of Crisis 8.0 [UK]
Endless Ocean 8.1 [AU]
Mario Kart Wii 7.9 [AU]
No More Heroes 8.5 [AU]
Samba de Amigo 7.5 [US]
Skate It 8.5 [US]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl 9.3 [AU]
Wario Land: The Shake Dimension 8.3 [AU]
Wii Fit 8.3 [AU]
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure 9.1 [AU]

This year, 15 Wii exclusive titles stood out in our eyes (officially defined as scoring more than 7.5) as deserving of your attention. Of these, Super Smash Bros. Brawl stands as about the best, at 9.3. With Brawl, Nintendo has once again demonstrated its fundamentally unmatched breadth of characters and franchises, giving players a stupidly large amount of content to unlock, while also providing fans of the previous games plenty to chew on. The general consensus is that Melee still stands as the most polished of the fighting games, but nobody can challenge Brawl's variety.

In terms of original content, Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure hit Australia at the start of the year, and stunned us with its originality and inventive mechanics. Sure, it's a little cutesy on the surface, but it has the gameplay to back it up. It's a great puzzle game and genuinely different from basically everything else out there. No More Heroes opened the door to more avant-garde, adult gaming from creator Suda 51. It took elements of open-world, sandbox adventures and married it to a strange and entertaining story of assassinations and, erm, lawn mowing. Certainly, the Wii has pushed gameplay into strange, new territories – and once in a while, developers still take risks.

Steven Spielberg's first foray into videogames (or, funding videogames, anyway) came in the form of the excellent physics-based puzzler, Boom Blox. EA's cartoony Jenga-like game didn't set the sales charts on fire, but it did prove that the developer could master the Wii's motion controls and make a compelling gameplay experience from something as simple as stacking – and knocking down – blocks.

Endless Ocean and Disaster: Day of Crisis are two more releases that take very different concepts - oceanic exploration and surviving natural disasters - and created Wii-specific gameplay that genuinely can't be matched by other systems. And with Wii Fit, the balance board becomes an intrinsic part of the experience too - so much so that it's selling systems. This is the kind of exclusive content that can make Wii owners proud long-term, even if 2008 has been a somewhat 'dry' year.

Must-Buy Wii Exclusives of 2008:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
&
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

To re-iterate before kicking into page two: a few things you need to know about our system exclusives head-to-head:

• We're using IGN AU review scores wherever they're available. If we didn't review it, we're using the U.S. team's score. And if they didn't review it, the U.K.'s.
  • We've set a score of 7.5 out of 10 as the benchmark for inclusion in the feature.
  • While this is a console showdown, we're not counting games as exclusives if they're also on PC. Sorry 360 fans – Left 4 Dead doesn't count.
  • We're only including games available at retail. As mentioned we'll be doing a full showdown between WiiWare, PSN and XBLA in the next day or so.

here the missing wii part, shame on the TO

_________

Improvements are caused by people who complain

Where's the Wii section??

4 ≈ One

shio said:

I think you have to remove the 20-reviews limit to check on it, unless you expect PC games like Doom 2, Starcraft, Baldur's Gate, World of Goo and Fallout to not be counted for PC.

You count a game rated 90.000% by a single reviewer to be an AAA title? Everything from 127 to 171 has a single review.

67-79, 19-30 etc. a single review also. All first 13 games, single review.

And for you, that's still more reliable than metacritic or gamerankings using standard 20 reviews. Just a question: how in Earth games rated 1-3 times meet the aggregate review concept?

I see...

Around the Network

I understand why people think IGN is better than Gamespot. They suck just as much.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

shio said:

World of Goo is not exclusive to PC.  It is also on the Wii.

@IGN article

What universe do you live in where Mario Kart Wii is not a must-buy exclusive??????

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

haxxiy said:

^^ lol, a multiplat exclusive! awesome!

Microsoft exclusive!

I also agree that mk wii should have been rated higher.

haxxiy said:
shio said:

You count a game rated 90.000% by a single reviewer to be an AAA title? Everything from 127 to 171 has a single review.

67-79, 19-30 etc. a single review also. All first 13 games, single review.

And for you, that's still more reliable than metacritic or gamerankings using standard 20 reviews. Just a question: how in Earth games rated 1-3 times meet the aggregate review concept?

I see...

So games like Starcraft and Baldur's Gate don't count because they don't have enough reviews? Same logic applies to games that only have 1 or 2 reviews listed. Only having 1 or 2 reviews doesn't mean they're bad games, does it?

Again, I'm sure Metacritic and Gamerankings don't even have reviews for alot of the 80's best PC games, which I'm sure could give a few more +90% titles for PC.