By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony price cut news leak hurting PS3 holiday sales

So wait, the PS3 is only selling bad now because it's going to sell so well later?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
I don't think a rumored March price cut can hurt December sales of any console a rumored January price cut maybe but March is to far off from December.

Yeah, I think a $199.00 entry level XBOX 360 versus a $399.00 entry level PS3 is hurting sales.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

stof said:
So wait, the PS3 is only selling bad now because it's going to sell so well later?

Apparently...

Sony needs all the revenue it can get right now...PS3 isn't getting a cut before April or May 2009 in the west and I'd put it more likely in the fall.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

I doubt a prcie cut. With the current state of Sony the PS division is yet to propose it's money saving cuts. The execs are hardly going to let them drop price. They need them to save money. Maybe sell 5 or 6 studios. Increase PS3 price, or pull the 10 year plan and never drop the price. More to worry about at Sony than this gen now.

Around the Network

This is a dumb theory.

First off, I would believe this theory if the price cut rumors said a week or two. The economy is bad and the PS3 isn't selling big, it's as easy as that. No one is holding/saving their money waiting for a price drop in March 2009. This is the holiday season and people are buying consoles to give people on December 25th not on March 25th.

Secondly, on the huge sales in March of '09. It depends how much this price drop is and if Sony adds an incentive for customers to buy. Sony dropped the price twice last year that is the main reason there is no price cut this year. Sony needs to add incentives. Also cheaper bundles why is it every bundle Sony has released is $499? How about a $399 bundle?

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

TheSource said:

Sony needs all the revenue it can get right now...PS3 isn't getting a cut before April or May 2009 in the west and I'd put it more likely in the fall.

Agreed. Before the currency disaster, they were expecting to break even on hardware around the end of the fiscal year (by Sony's CFO's word), now the break even point has likely moved many months forward.

The only way I see a price cut in early 2009 is if the exchange rates recover to give Sony some breathing room. I don't think that will happen though, in fact the dollar keeps getting weaker and weaker, and the Euro is not showing signs of improvement.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

badgenome said:

Yeah, I'm certain that an internet rumor outweighs both the shitty global economy and actual price tag of the PS3. In fact, I believe this rumor is the only thing keeping the PS3 from grabbing the mass market from the Wii.

Extremely amusing

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

XGamer0611 said:
This is a dumb theory.

First off, I would believe this theory if the price cut rumors said a week or two. The economy is bad and the PS3 isn't selling big, it's as easy as that. No one is holding/saving their money waiting for a price drop in March 2009. This is the holiday season and people are buying consoles to give people on December 25th not on March 25th.

Secondly, on the huge sales in March of '09. It depends how much this price drop is and if Sony adds an incentive for customers to buy. Sony dropped the price twice last year that is the main reason there is no price cut this year. Sony needs to add incentives. Also cheaper bundles why is it every bundle Sony has released is $499? How about a $399 bundle?

I agree Sony needs cheaper bundles.  Well lets hope that Sony has an entry level bundle for the 09 Christmas season.

Yeah I love the PS3 :P But I call shenanigans ^^ The community that knows of a circulating price cut isn't anywhere near big enough to stop the people who really buy the consoles :P Sure it'll put off a few sales, but not that drastic of an amount.

I agree with the above post. A $199 dollar 360 is hurting PS3 sales :P

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.