By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MS finishes Sony? ANOTHER Price-cut coming tomorrow in Europe

I love how posters are treating these price cuts like they are a bad thing. Shouldn't we be asking why Sony and Nintendo aren't doing the same thing. I suspect MS is breaking even on the new jaspers and they are passing along the savings to the consumer. Kudos to MS for putting pressure on their competitors!

Viva free market systems!

Around the Network

Post hasn't been updated with the last quarter information, which by the way resulted in loss for Sony and profit for MS E&D...

edit: quoted the wrong post T_T

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

This won't by itself finish off the ps3, but if ms can force Sony out of the race after this generation, it will be a two-way race next generation and that just might be worth the upfront losses.

@MikeB

You do realize SPE usage doesn't really prove anything. The PS3 has only one true core, and 7 SPE's. Now, that said, these games do not use much of the SPE because of the difficulty in programming for it. If they could, they would program the games to take advantage of all the potential power, but they can't.

Programming games for 2+ cores is hard enough, but programming for 1 real core and 7 fake ones is pretty darned complicated. Also, there has been no game "max out" the PS3 usage, so we can't really compare SPE usage of 10-20% when we don't know what 100% usage would be. Killzone 2 pushes it to 60% SPE usage, and after 60% it starts to stutter and lag badly, so I think it is safe to say that for the next few years, nothing will be able to use the PS3's processing advantage. Generally speaking video games will run perfectly fine off of a dual-core processor with 2.4GHz speed. The 360 3 core CPU with 3.2GHz is more than enough for any advanced game in terms of CPU power.

The only real advantage of the Cell is in physics and other advanced calculations.

They didn't "defeat" sony.. christ.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:

@MikeB

You do realize SPE usage doesn't really prove anything. The PS3 has only one true core, and 7 SPE's. Now, that said, these games do not use much of the SPE because of the difficulty in programming for it. If they could, they would program the games to take advantage of all the potential power, but they can't.

Programming games for 2+ cores is hard enough, but programming for 1 real core and 7 fake ones is pretty darned complicated. Also, there has been no game "max out" the PS3 usage, so we can't really compare SPE usage of 10-20% when we don't know what 100% usage would be. Killzone 2 pushes it to 60% SPE usage, and after 60% it starts to stutter and lag badly, so I think it is safe to say that for the next few years, nothing will be able to use the PS3's processing advantage. Generally speaking video games will run perfectly fine off of a dual-core processor with 2.4GHz speed. The 360 3 core CPU with 3.2GHz is more than enough for any advanced game in terms of CPU power.

The only real advantage of the Cell is in physics and other advanced calculations.

Dont ever argue with him.

Just post proof like this.

Ingame inengine gameplay. Easy.

MikeB said:

It's already being sold with a price tag of 119 Euro (including 19% taxes) with some bundled games at Media Markt stores in the Netherlands.

But this will not finish off Sony or the PS3 of course, it just creates some short term tension I imagine. The PS3 provides a lot of unique and compelling features and is a lot more powerful.

Please at least provide proof which point to the PS3 being 'a lot' more powerful? I can think of plenty of examples which show the opposite to be true.

crumas2 said:
This won't by itself finish off the ps3, but if ms can force Sony out of the race after this generation, it will be a two-way race next generation and that just might be worth the upfront losses.

M$ can't force sony to do anything. They'll be making the decision for themselves. Even sega wasn't forced to do anything. They made the decision to can the dreamcast.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Go, MS Go!

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Pristine20 said:
crumas2 said:

M$ can't force sony to do anything. They'll be making the decision for themselves. Even sega wasn't forced to do anything. They made the decision to can the dreamcast.

One might argue EA took the decision for them.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).