By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why are PS3 figures so low this close to Xmas?

With the economy being the way it is, u wonder why?

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

Around the Network

People don't want to buy the loosing console.

It's in last place in NA, and probably will stay that way. Last place consoles get fewer games of note.

Lots of people bought the PS2 because it was more popular and thus had a better selection of games.

A console not being as popular as it's competition is all the reason some people need to not buy it. Everyone loves a winner, right?

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

mrstickball said:
Simple. Why pay $200 more for More ?

If gamers only care about games...Why in God's name would you spend $100-200 more for a system that has a far better library?

And for the good maths: It's the 'economic crisis'. If that was the case, everything would be down - why is it, that every other system is up by so much? The crisis is doing everything. Sony cut their own throats with the pricepoint it's at. No one wants to buy the best system on the market for the most cash, when the Wii has far more casual appeal, and the X360 is so much cheaper for a better library.

And this trend will continue until Sony drops the price. The X360 will lead the PS3 by 2:1 in sales until Sony cuts the price.

the reason the other systems are up is because of the crysis .. ie people can't afford the ps3 so they go with something else since everything else is cheaper. That is why ;)

Check out my game about moles ^

Bboid said:
Bullet100000 said:
200 vs 400
last year 300 vs 400

don't you mean

300 vs 400

last year 350 vs 400

It is hard to compare the arcade with the ps3 in pricing.  The pro and elite are the 2 models that directly compare to the ps3 80gb/160gb

yes, however it's the arcade that's doing the difference. Microsoft themselves said that arcades were more than 250.000 of the xboxes sold in america on black friday week.

Check out my game about moles ^

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

PS3 is undertracked, even if it is slightly.

I think so too I just think the PS3 is doing better than these numbers suggest.

Lets be honest even NPD get it wrong so its no big deal.

I just think the fanbase is there especially this time of year.

Around the Network
Tyrannical said:

It's in last place in NA, and probably will stay that way. Last place consoles get fewer games of note.

Lots of people bought the PS2 because it was more popular and thus had a better selection of games.

A console not being as popular as it's competition is all the reason some people need to not buy it. Everyone loves a winner, right?

Explains why the wii is selling with no stellar game line up this holiday season.

mM
leo-j said:
Tyrannical said:

Explains why the wii is selling with no stellar game line up this holiday season.

I find that folks I talk to are getting the wii for there kids and the age group would appear to be under 12s.

Just my experience anyway.

Staude said:
Bboid said:
Bullet100000 said:
200 vs 400
last year 300 vs 400

don't you mean

300 vs 400

last year 350 vs 400

It is hard to compare the arcade with the ps3 in pricing.  The pro and elite are the 2 models that directly compare to the ps3 80gb/160gb

yes, however it's the arcade that's doing the difference. Microsoft themselves said that arcades were more than 250.000 of the xboxes sold in america on black friday week.

Understandable, but the point remains that in 2007 the PS3 carried a 14.3% premium over the compareable xbox 360 pro and now in the 2008 holiday season that premium is now at least (covers arcade)  33.3%.  Last year it was close enough price that the built in value of the blu-ray made the PS3 a viable and affordable option for everyone entering the HD generation.  The 2008 premium of the ps3 to 360 pro as well as the rapidly decreasing price of stand alone bluray players doesnt make the ps3 to appear as a better value in any way.  The arcade units are icing on the cake for microsoft and a chance for them to grab cheap skates who were going to originally buy a Wii only because it was the cheapest.  Added to this, think of the hardware accessories sales microsoft will generate by arcade owners upgrading to a HDD on their console.

Most say price/perceived value/economic situation is a lazy answer, but it is in fact the most logical combination of answers.

Could be right number, wouldn't be surprised if the thing was undertracked though.

4 ≈ One

nm