By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Pokemon game Ever?

Cactus said:
I agree. R/B were the pinnacle of the series. Whenever I hear the music from that game, I get all sappy :P

Definitely this. My first game was Pokemon Blue, and I logged well over 200 hours in that.

@Euphoria;

Man, that does bring back memories... almost makes me want to go play through it again o_O

Around the Network

Blue (and I guess red at the same time) because the first 150 pokemon were awesome and had detail, I can even understand/appreciate 151, but everything after that is crap (most don't even have the same art style as the first 150 and look alien in comparison).

Rickthestick 2 said:

Pokemon Gold and Silver were the pinnacle of Pokemon in my opinion. They had mastered the formula of Red and Blue, and enhanced the entire game with so many features, two regions, and awesome legendary pokes. By the time Ruby and Sapphire came around however, the formula had gotten stale. They were basically the same as Red and Blue, and didn't have the massive influx of new features like Gold and Silver had, in comparison to their predessecors.

Pearl and Diamond were by far the worst though. Because they were the same games we played so long ago. But this time it was extremely cheesy and weak. While it did have some good points like a massive map, and an "evil team" the rises above most others in the Pokemon series, it was clearly made for kids. Now games made for kids is never a bad thing, but when a Pokemon game is made so much for kids that it alienates its core consumers who grew up with the game, well that's just bad.

D/P had you as a ten year old 80 pound kid. That sucks. See, the main characters in Gold and Silver were cool. The main characters in Fire Red and Leaf Green were cool. Heck, the guy from Pokemon Colosseum was awesome. And Why were there massive amounts of legendaries in D/P? That ruined the end of the game. That didn't just rehash the formula, but it duplicated the formula and made it worse.

So yeah I'm mad about the way the Pokemon series has 'evolved'. Gold and Silver was the best in the Pokemon series, and it only went down hill from there. I say enough with the sequels and make a NEW pokemon game. One with some nostalgic elements from blue and red and gold and silver and others, but still has its own distinguishing formula that's fun to play, and you feel cool playing it. I don't want to have some little cheeseball running around my screen.

I agree that Gold and Silver were the best in the series but Diamond and Pearl was a clusterfuck of fanservice.  When I say this, I want it to be known they gave several older Pokemon new evolutions and I doubt newer fans would have appreciated those.  Also, they made a split between physical and special attacks for all types which I also doubt newer fans would appreciate either.

In my honest opinion, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl are pretty much the elite editions as there's so much to come back to.  G/S had the best single player but the multiplayer is were it shines.  Wifi battles, trading, GTS, Underground, local wireless contest..  I highly doubt these were added for just kids.

Despite this, I have to say that the single player is the worst in the series.  I guess Diamond and Pearl are best played with friends.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Rickthestick 2 said:

Pokemon Gold and Silver were the pinnacle of Pokemon in my opinion. They had mastered the formula of Red and Blue, and enhanced the entire game with so many features, two regions, and awesome legendary pokes. By the time Ruby and Sapphire came around however, the formula had gotten stale. They were basically the same as Red and Blue, and didn't have the massive influx of new features like Gold and Silver had, in comparison to their predessecors.

Pearl and Diamond were by far the worst though. Because they were the same games we played so long ago. But this time it was extremely cheesy and weak. While it did have some good points like a massive map, and an "evil team" the rises above most others in the Pokemon series, it was clearly made for kids. Now games made for kids is never a bad thing, but when a Pokemon game is made so much for kids that it alienates its core consumers who grew up with the game, well that's just bad.

D/P had you as a ten year old 80 pound kid. That sucks. See, the main characters in Gold and Silver were cool. The main characters in Fire Red and Leaf Green were cool. Heck, the guy from Pokemon Colosseum was awesome. And Why were there massive amounts of legendaries in D/P? That ruined the end of the game. That didn't just rehash the formula, but it duplicated the formula and made it worse.

So yeah I'm mad about the way the Pokemon series has 'evolved'. Gold and Silver was the best in the Pokemon series, and it only went down hill from there. I say enough with the sequels and make a NEW pokemon game. One with some nostalgic elements from blue and red and gold and silver and others, but still has its own distinguishing formula that's fun to play, and you feel cool playing it. I don't want to have some little cheeseball running around my screen.

Pokemon has never been about the main characters. Now that that's out of the way...

I agree with you that Gold/Silver/Crystal were the pinnacle of the evolution of the series. They had the two maps, which in my opinion was the best part of the game. Not only did it extend the story line, but you got to play Kanto as if years had passed, and everyone had gotten stronger, better, and evolved themselves as trainers. I was twelve at the time and I appreciated that.

Diamond and Pearl in my opinion really isn't about rehashing the game or completely changing the experience, but it's about giving variety to the game. With almost 500 pokemon, creating a team you like that's also competetive is a hell of a lot easier than it was with the original 151. I mean, you had Mewtwo, Mew, Dragonite, and your choice of three legendaries for the best team in the game.

Red/Blue/Green created the genre.

Yellow gave it a twist

Gold/Silver/Crystal advanced the series into the realm of being epic.

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald tried to rehash the appeal of RBG in a new land, more pokemon etc, buuut, the biggest differences were in the movepool expansion and most of the changes were for the sake of competitive battling, in my opinion.

Fire Red/Leaf Green were for nostalgias sake. The addition of the Sevii islands did nothing for me. In my opinion these are the very worst of the series.

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum Is Ru/Sa/E done right. The addition of Wi-Fi, separation of physical/special attacks, and as a poster said before me "a clusterfuck of fan service".

The absolute best Pokemon game in my opinion would include all the lands/sidequests and nuances of the old games while adding a little twist a la Pokemon yellow.

Rankings from an experienced pokemon fan:

1) G/S/C
2) D/Pe/Pl
3) R/B/G/Y
4) Ru/Sa/E
5) Fire Red/LG

Currently playing: Civ 6

Red Just is pure win....

Former something....

Around the Network

^ Yes cdude1034. You know what you're talking about, I agree with everything you posted, you're totally right.

Except, I don't agree with you're rankings. R/S/E was better than R/B/Y. Placing the originals over R/S is just nostalgia clouding your vision, imo. Yes, R/S may not have been the best, but when they released, they overhauled the graphics, added some of the best pokemon of the series (quite in keeping with the original 151 style, imo, but with more of an edge), and expanded the competitive battling massively - the addition of EVs, IVs, and a huge expansion of the movepools of all pokemon. D/P perfected what R/S began - and I think it's unfair to rank it so far down.

If you want to pick on one game though, it should be Pokemon Battle Revolution. It's great so see your pokemon in 3D, but that is undeniably a weak game. It just wasnt as good as it should have been. I wanted Pokemon Stadium 2008, I got Pokemon Colloseum with the RPG mode stripped out.

My Blog, Please Have A Read:

http://Proseandconsoles.blogspot.com

Crystal, I loved that game more than any of the others

I think FR/LG is underrated. ):

Gold's still my favorite though!

Wiped said:

^ Yes cdude1034. You know what you're talking about, I agree with everything you posted, you're totally right.

Except, I don't agree with you're rankings. R/S/E was better than R/B/Y. Placing the originals over R/S is just nostalgia clouding your vision, imo. Yes, R/S may not have been the best, but when they released, they overhauled the graphics, added some of the best pokemon of the series (quite in keeping with the original 151 style, imo, but with more of an edge), and expanded the competitive battling massively - the addition of EVs, IVs, and a huge expansion of the movepools of all pokemon. D/P perfected what R/S began - and I think it's unfair to rank it so far down.

If you want to pick on one game though, it should be Pokemon Battle Revolution. It's great so see your pokemon in 3D, but that is undeniably a weak game. It just wasnt as good as it should have been. I wanted Pokemon Stadium 2008, I got Pokemon Colloseum with the RPG mode stripped out.

I concur.  Despite their several faults, I enjoyed Colloseum and XD: Gale of Darkness but Battle Revolution was terrible, especially with the battle pacing.

I think G/S/C was the first attempt to fix the metagame, notably broken Psychic types (Dark and Steel Types, Megahorn and Shadow Ball) and Diamond and Pearl have created a nice balance.

Pixel Art can be fun.

RED!