By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to Enter the Handheld Market with CES announcement

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Does anyone belive this "thing" will have the power of a 360? explain yourself if ya do.

At any rate this would be pointless since the DS is the handheld GOD while the PSP is an Angel. Unwise market to enter.

Did anyone believe the PSP would have the power of a PS1 or near PS2?

Around the Network
shio said:
Sam Yikin said:
halogamer1989 said:
Sam Yikin said:
Lord N said:
Sam Yikin said:
he Lord N said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@zucas

the xbox brand has improved this gen...

Actually, it hasn't. It's in the same position it was in last generation.

Yes it has. It's in the same place as the xbox but is selling MUCH faster than it did.

Look at all the consoles. The 360 is in second place right now, and while it is selling faster than the Xbox, the third place console, the PS3 is selling faster than the Gamecube, and the first place console, the Wii, is selling better than the PS2.

If Richard, Fred, and Steve go fishing today and Richard catches 10 fish, Fred 4, and Steve, 3, and then tomorrow, Steve catches 17, Fred 7, and Steve 6, then Fred, while having sold more, is in the same position as he was the day before.

The same can be said for the consoles. Microsoft will sell more consoles this generation than they did last generation, but they will still have roughly the same market share give or take a few percentage points, and that's really not good, because in order for their business model to work, they will need a very substantial increase in market share, but as we can see, that's just not happening.

The only brand that's seen any real improvement this generation is Nintendo.

Just because the entire market is expanding doesn't mean that MS's success is negated. The fact that game consoles are more popular does not make people go out there to buy 360s. MS has put together a much, much better publicity campaign than there ever was with the xbox, there are many more good games, and it DID start this gen.

There are far more important things in console sales than marketshare % and their place in the console wars. Microsoft has been much more sucessful in expanding the popularity of their console this gen.

You see, the thing is, Microsoft never intended the Xbox to succeed.  It was a foothold console.  The real battle, the fierce campaigns of the war, began with the 360 and will continue with the successive console.

Exactly. Now they are seeing actual success with the 360. Not as good as the Wii, of course, but it doesn't need to be. It's doing really well already as it is.

What success? Microsoft is still in the same position as it was last gen, and so far they lost money with Xbox 360. They also lost nearly all of their PC gaming revenue after deciding to shift their resources to Xbox (Ensemble Studios *cough*).

They have surpassed the Xbox in sales and have created a far better penetration in markets not attempted by the Xbox.  It is not all over, no PS4, 720, or Wii2 launches yet, and as for Ensemble business decisions are made in all corporations.  Whether warranted or liked is another issue.

Most likely a hoax/lie/etc.

I mean, last year it was a wii-mote, this year a portable.

I hope it's true though!
(my psp just looked at me.. strange it may seem)

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Wow, really didn't expect MS to actually make a hand held, especially after how mediocre PSP game sales have been.

halogamer1989 said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Does anyone belive this "thing" will have the power of a 360? explain yourself if ya do.

At any rate this would be pointless since the DS is the handheld GOD while the PSP is an Angel. Unwise market to enter.

Did anyone believe the PSP would have the power of a PS1 or near PS2?

Well the PSP does have the power around the area or on par with a PS2.

But you didnt explain yourself all you did was act sarcastic.

Because honestly the 360's total gear would be to much for something that small to handle.

Also like SK said, most likely a lie.

Around the Network

Well the person said break the bank and we get handheld from it? Even all the hype for a handheld that granted I want to come, it could just mean their 9 titles that they are scheduled to announce.

while it would be cool i hope this is fake. They should just stick with xbox and zune. maybe add more games to the zune and maybe make a zune touch or something but a completly new handheld will fail.

Long Live SHIO!

Lord N said:
Sam Yikin said:
he Lord N said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@zucas

the xbox brand has improved this gen...

Actually, it hasn't. It's in the same position it was in last generation.

Yes it has. It's in the same place as the xbox but is selling MUCH faster than it did.

Look at all the consoles. The 360 is in second place right now, and while it is selling faster than the Xbox, the third place console, the PS3 is selling faster than the Gamecube, and the first place console, the Wii, is selling better than the PS2.

If Richard, Fred, and Steve go fishing today and Richard catches 10 fish, Fred 4, and Steve, 3, and then tomorrow, Steve catches 17, Fred 7, and Steve 6, then Fred, while having sold more, is in the same position as he was the day before.

The same can be said for the consoles. Microsoft will sell more consoles this generation than they did last generation, but they will still have roughly the same market share give or take a few percentage points, and that's really not good, because in order for their business model to work, they will need a very substantial increase in market share, but as we can see, that's just not happening.

I don't think you spent enough time pondering your model here, and the bolded illustrates my point.  Selling more than you used to be selling is good, no way to spin that. 

It was inevitable - they had to either discontinue the Zune or make it more competitive with the Iphone. It will need REALLY good reviews initially and whole lot of marketing to stand a chance. The public perception of the Zune is that it's a failure.

De85 said:
Lord N said:

I don't think you spent enough time pondering your model here, and the bolded illustrates my point.  Selling more than you used to be selling is good, no way to spin that. 

I think he means what i've bolded, not what you've bolded

Proud Sony Rear Admiral