By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to Enter the Handheld Market with CES announcement

This is just a buffed up zune...which already has a foothold in the mp3 marketplace...I'm not really sure why this seems so far off where the zune already is. I don't own a zune, and I love my ipod, but I've been waiting for a gaming zune that closely meshes with my 360...look like it's about to arrive.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

Evolving the Zune into a phone platform (ala iPhone) would mean competing with windows mobile... I don't think they'd have the guts to do so.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

It's going to be more like the Iphone then anything. A zune phone with XNA game support.

It will be tough competition. Its not surprising. It might bomb like the Zune. If it does the I Phone might get some interesting re design ideas from it and Sony might also.

The accelorometer might just be a precursor to the Xbox remote plan too.

Meanwhile DS with 70% of the handheld is almost as much of a lock as Windows software is with 89% of computer op systems. Not impenetrable but very difficult.

Think Ipod vs Zune and we'll see if MS can improve.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

They wait until now to announce this?

Unless this is just MS releasing hardware early again, aiming to compete with the PSP2 and the next DS in a few years time.

Or perhaps it's not meant to compete with them directly.

Around the Network

It is definetily bad timing, thats if it launches in the next year.

When is CES? march

January, hmm ok

Well if it launches with widescreen it will be MS competing with PS again but on handhelds. Sounds like a bad idea again.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Great timing!

lol...zune bombed?

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

CaptDS9E said:
It's going to be more like the Iphone then anything. A zune phone with XNA game support.

They already have XNA support btw ;)

Its not an official handheld. Its like and iPod Touch/Phone which are not real systems.

It wont be counted as a real system.