By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to Enter the Handheld Market with CES announcement

marc said:
Millennium said:
If Microsoft releases a device that is anything like what this article claims, then that device is doomed to fail, just like all of Nintendo's other competitors in this space to date.

Nintendo will continue to rule the handheld gaming scene until a competitor comes along that actually understands portable gaming. If these rumors are any indication, Microsoft does not.

Have to disagree. MS has a few things that would make it successful.

1. Experience
2. Tons of money with no real debt to worry about
3. Windows OS
4. Popular Exclusives that will sell in the millions
5. A lot of positive mommentum

1) Their experience is in console gaming, not handheld gaming. Microsoft would not be the first to assume that experience from one field applies to the other, but they will suffer the same fate as the others who made that mistake.

2) Here you have a point. This is really the only advantage Microsoft has, but it's nothing to sneeze at: it allowed them to break into the console market, after all.

3) Not really relevant, both because people don't care what OS their handheld runs and because once the inevitable software locks are all in place it won't provide a better homebrew experience than the PSP or DS.

4) This only holds if they can successfully translate those exclusives into portable models of gaming. Given the nature of Microsoft's exclusives on consoles, this seems very unlikely: shooters have not tended to translate well, sports games translate only slightly better, and that's pretty much where the sets "popular," "exclusive," and "Microsoft" intersect.

5) You're still making the assumption that portables are just smaller consoles: the attitude that has killed every last one of Nintendo's competitors in the market. The momentum from the console market simply does not apply to handhelds, and likewise with the reverse: otherwise the PSP would be dominating the handheld market due to the PS2's momentum.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network

a cell phone with gaming capabilities will help them to introduce the new windows mobile interface...