By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft to Enter the Handheld Market with CES announcement

if it has NXE and all that then it would most likely have netflix on it which would be amazing (office on the road!!) too bad their isn't world wide internet coverage.

I would definatly buy it if it really is a gaming handheld. (would be my first handheld that ev ever owned) 

Lookin forward to hearing more news about this.

Around the Network

If they can emulate snes and the likes w/o cracking firmware, they might gain some instant libraries of games.

Millennium said:
If Microsoft releases a device that is anything like what this article claims, then that device is doomed to fail, just like all of Nintendo's other competitors in this space to date.

Nintendo will continue to rule the handheld gaming scene until a competitor comes along that actually understands portable gaming. If these rumors are any indication, Microsoft does not.

Have to disagree. MS has a few things that would make it successful.

1. Experience
2. Tons of money with no real debt to worry about
3. Windows OS
4. Popular Exclusives that will sell in the millions
5. A lot of positive mommentum

Why you ask is windows listed? Simple, a handheld game system with windows will take 90% of the PSP market. The PSP has basically become a hobiest tool. People buy the hardware and never buy a single PSP game except maybe 1 to downgrade their OS so that they can use homebrew software. They use the PSP for almost everything but they dont buy PSP games. A windows based handheld with keyboard and joystick control would absolutely obliterate the PSP market.

That said, the same device wouldnt do much against the DS. The DS is beast. It is perfect for its intended market, has so much support that it would be a disaster for older (rich) developers to see it fail (kind of like windows), its reasonably priced, and is still hasnt reached its peak.

I think that MS and Apple are primed for a play at the handheld market right now but MS by far is more prepared for such an endeavor but I never put anything past Apple these days. Seems that anything that has a lower case "i" in front of it sells... granted I think Apple fans arent too bright but hey the world is what it is.

According to this http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/10/AR2008121003588.html there is no Zune Phone being announced.

halogamer1989 said:
According to this http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/10/AR2008121003588.html there is no Zune Phone being announced.

Well, I hope they announce something. Specifically, I hope Ballmer announces something big. Nothing else on Earth fills me with as much joy as watching him leap around and blow out his vocal cords.

Around the Network

I doubt I'll go with a MS handheld - the DS fits the market nicely, and the PSP picks up the scraps much like the GameGear did years ago. Why a third portable handheld? That's a bit overkill. I'll probably pass, and I think most people will unless It's $180 or less to compete with the PSP.

It's just that simple.

Spankey said:
De85 said:
Lord N said:

Look at all the consoles. The 360 is in second place right now, and while it is selling faster than the Xbox, the third place console, the PS3 is selling faster than the Gamecube, and the first place console, the Wii, is selling better than the PS2.

If Richard, Fred, and Steve go fishing today and Richard catches 10 fish, Fred 4, and Steve, 3, and then tomorrow, Steve catches 17, Fred 7, and Steve 6, then Fred, while having sold more, is in the same position as he was the day before.

The same can be said for the consoles. Microsoft will sell more consoles this generation than they did last generation, but they will still have roughly the same market share give or take a few percentage points, and that's really not good, because in order for their business model to work, they will need a very substantial increase in market share, but as we can see, that's just not happening.

The only brand that's seen any real improvement this generation is Nintendo.

I don't think you spent enough time pondering your model here, and the bolded illustrates my point.  Selling more than you used to be selling is good, no way to spin that. 

I think he means what i've bolded, not what you've bolded

Yes, I did.

Let me use another anology.

Say Richard, Fred, and Steve have $3, $4, and $10, respectively. Then, I go to each of them and give Richard $50, Fred $10, and Steve $2. They all have more money than before, but the only person who saw any real benefit is Richard because he now controls more of the wealth than before whereas Fred and Steve now control a lower percentage of it.

The same can be said for Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. Microsoft, while having sold more consoles than last generation, still controls roughly the same amount of the market, whereas Sony controls far less and Nintendo controls far more. So let me say it again, the only one that's seen any real benefit this generation is Nintendo. If hardware isn't enough, look at the software. The vast majority of the best selling games this generation are either on the Wii or the DS.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Lord N said:
Spankey said:
De85 said:
Lord N said:

Look at all the consoles. The 360 is in second place right now, and while it is selling faster than the Xbox, the third place console, the PS3 is selling faster than the Gamecube, and the first place console, the Wii, is selling better than the PS2.

If Richard, Fred, and Steve go fishing today and Richard catches 10 fish, Fred 4, and Steve, 3, and then tomorrow, Steve catches 17, Fred 7, and Steve 6, then Fred, while having sold more, is in the same position as he was the day before.

The same can be said for the consoles. Microsoft will sell more consoles this generation than they did last generation, but they will still have roughly the same market share give or take a few percentage points, and that's really not good, because in order for their business model to work, they will need a very substantial increase in market share, but as we can see, that's just not happening.

I don't think you spent enough time pondering your model here, and the bolded illustrates my point.  Selling more than you used to be selling is good, no way to spin that. 

Yes, I did.

Say Richard, Fred, and Steve have $3, $4, and $10, respectively. Then, I go to each of them and give Richard $50, Fred $10, and Steve $2. They all have more money than before, but the only person who saw any real benefit is Richard because he now controls more of the wealth than before whereas Fred and Steve now control a lower percentage of it.

The same can be said for Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. Microsoft, while having sold more consoles than last generation, still controls roughly the same amount of the market, whereas Sony controls far less and Nintendo controls far more. So let me say it again, the only one that's seen any real benefit this generation is Nintendo. If hardware isn't enough, look at the software. The vast majority of the best selling games this generation are either on the Wii or the DS.

If they all have more money than before, then they all saw a benefit. It's not a zero sum game. I don't think Fred and Steve will cry over having more money than before, even if it's less than what Richard has. Though Steve might call you a cheapskate for giving him a measly $2. But, in reality, "Steve" is bleeding money out of his ears... so he might need your $2 at this point.

In other news, your analogies suck.

right now with the ds and the dsi getting ready to go its a bad idea micro...really bad idea

Lord N said:
Spankey said:
De85 said:
Lord N said:

Yes, I did.

MS does not control roughly the same percentage of the market as last gen.  They have a much bigger stake than last gen.  Nintendo, it goes without saying, of course is is still the big winner this gen none-the-less.

Thus far, Sony is the only big loser... and really there is lot time left, so it's just too hard to say what will happen anyway.  Everyone throws numbers around as if this gen is nearing an end, when really, there's just too much time left to make the guarantees people try to make about how this thing is going to end.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya