By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Home - Biggest ever Playstation software cash cow?

I honestly don't care much for Home, hopefully it will surprise me.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
Home is nothing like Second life.

>_>

I think you must have missed out on Sony's press conferences then, HOME is designed to be a 3D world where people can interact with each other all over the world (which is basically what second life is). Sure, what you do in this world may be different then second life, but you devote your life to one or the other (similarly to how people play WoW but wouldn't touch other MMORPG's).

I never thought about HOME being a cash cow through advertising, it may not be all bad news for Sony afterall (I'm in the "HOME is a waste of R&D" camp). I'd be interested to see how inventive advertising could be, but if it's just trailers (which can be more easily and simply downloaded from a website) or demo's (which have always been around) then it will fail hard, but if it's something more imaginative, then this can only mean good things for the PS3.

CAL4M1TY said:
DMeisterJ said:

>_>

I think you must have missed out on Sony's press conferences then, HOME is designed to be a 3D world where people can interact with each other all over the world (which is basically what second life is). Sure, what you do in this world may be different then second life, but you devote your life to one or the other (similarly to how people play WoW but wouldn't touch other MMORPG's).

I never thought about HOME being a cash cow through advertising, it may not be all bad news for Sony afterall (I'm in the "HOME is a waste of R&D" camp). I'd be interested to see how inventive advertising could be, but if it's just trailers (which can be more easily and simply downloaded from a website) or demo's (which have always been around) then it will fail hard, but if it's something more imaginative, then this can only mean good things for the PS3.

Red Bull already made their own space in Home, like the spaces we have seen for Uncharted and Far Cry 2. I doubt all advertisers are going to do something like that, but if I thought the area was fun to hang around in, I would definetly be more opt to drink Red Bull (as I don't usually care for energy drinks at all).

CAL4M1TY said:
DMeisterJ said:

>_>

Well lets take Red Bull as an example, they have a space at Home and have a mini game where you fly the red bull plane. I think something unique is being done with HOME. ;)

Could be, if it takes off.

I can't see them earning much money from the micro-transactions, but advertisement could make them a lot of money. Of course the recession will decrease companies' advertisement budget, the question is whether they consider Home worth it vs the other media.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
legend92(3) said:
also people will be able to buy things like clothes for their character and furniture etc. which will make them more money.

So now PS3 owners will buy less games to save for virtual clothes?

NJ5 said:

I can't see them earning much money from the micro-transactions, but advertisement could make them a lot of money. Of course the recession will decrease companies' advertisement budget, the question is whether they consider Home worth it vs the other media.

well... it depends on how much the initial investment is and if there are continual costs.  you'll only reach about 3-4mil people, so it shouldnt cost too much.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

The advertising revenue should be significant, but not so much the microtransactions...

What would be a good idea is if they integrated the whole of the PS Store in there and also started selling physical items for shipping.

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

NJ5 said:

I'm not sure if those microtransactions won't be huge hit.

Make something extremly cheap and people will be buying it becouse it looks cool and costs only 50 cents or 1$.

It's like dude who chopped LCD into single pixels and started selling them for 1$ - he sold all of them :D

And also it works for most MMO.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Release tomorrow? Why would they release tomorrow if I got a closed beta invitation yesterday?