By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony "intersted" in downloadable PS2 games

http://kotaku.com/5105975/sony-interested-in-downloadable-ps2-games-not-so-much-netflix-for-ps3

w00t?

Sony "Interested" In Downloadable PS2 Games, Not So Much Netflix For PS3

With PlayStation 2 backward compatibility a thing of the past for PlayStation 3 owners, dreams of downloadable last-gen games may seem dashed. Or maybe not. Sony says it's "interested" in offering downloadable PS2 software.

How interested? "Absolutely interested" according to John Koller, director of hardware marketing for Sony Computer Entertainment America. He tells GamePro that the company is "still sorting through" the possibility of offering PlayStation 2 games via the PlayStation Store, as it currently does for PSone releases.

Obviously, there are some "technical hurdles" involved, like the ability to emulate PS2 software without the legacy hardware included in early PS3 models. "Nothing's imminent on that," Koller says "but it's something we are interested in as well."

As for matching the Xbox 360's NXE feature set, specifically streaming Netflix movies, Koller and company sound less interested.

"We've concentrated most of our efforts on our download service, both rentals and downloads of movies and TV shows," he says. "Our efforts will continue to be there, because our customers want to own the content."

Shame then, because it certainly sounded like Netflix was interested in bringing its content to the PlayStation 3 at one point.

"There are certainly some positives for the Xbox 360," he explains. "But there's also some confusion. It goes further into the argument of "owning the content."

I don't know. I think many of us have given up on the notion of "owning" anything these days when it comes to digital distribution. I certainly don't feel like I need to own that copy of Hot Tamale I recently streamed.

God I hope this is true.

Couldn't be too hard.

Around the Network

So it would be like downloading original xbox titles

DMeisterJ said:

http://kotaku.com/5105975/sony-interested-in-downloadable-ps2-games-not-so-much-netflix-for-ps3

w00t?

Sony "Interested" In Downloadable PS2 Games, Not So Much Netflix For PS3

With PlayStation 2 backward compatibility a thing of the past for PlayStation 3 owners, dreams of downloadable last-gen games may seem dashed. Or maybe not. Sony says it's "interested" in offering downloadable PS2 software.

How interested? "Absolutely interested" according to John Koller, director of hardware marketing for Sony Computer Entertainment America. He tells GamePro that the company is "still sorting through" the possibility of offering PlayStation 2 games via the PlayStation Store, as it currently does for PSone releases.

Obviously, there are some "technical hurdles" involved, like the ability to emulate PS2 software without the legacy hardware included in early PS3 models. "Nothing's imminent on that," Koller says "but it's something we are interested in as well."

As for matching the Xbox 360's NXE feature set, specifically streaming Netflix movies, Koller and company sound less interested.

"We've concentrated most of our efforts on our download service, both rentals and downloads of movies and TV shows," he says. "Our efforts will continue to be there, because our customers want to own the content."

Shame then, because it certainly sounded like Netflix was interested in bringing its content to the PlayStation 3 at one point.

"There are certainly some positives for the Xbox 360," he explains. "But there's also some confusion. It goes further into the argument of "owning the content."

I don't know. I think many of us have given up on the notion of "owning" anything these days when it comes to digital distribution. I certainly don't feel like I need to own that copy of Hot Tamale I recently streamed.

God I hope this is true.

Couldn't be too hard.

I don't know.  I mean i don't believe they even have a workable emulator for PC yet.

I mean... what were they going to say... they weren't interested in reselling people games?

When demand of PS2 hardware and software falls enough, Sony will do what Microsoft did by releasing select PS2 titles via download.

I've been saying this for a long time now. I expect this to happen in 1-2 years.

bbsin said:
When demand of PS2 hardware and software falls enough, Sony will do what Microsoft did by releasing select PS2 titles via download.

I've been saying this for a long time now. I expect this to happen in 1-2 years.

The question is... through BC compatability for all... or just by reworking individual games.

Around the Network

It has simply not happened yet as the PS2 still sells, I just cant see it stopping. As soon as sales drop to a tiny amount a price drop and BAM, sales are high again.

hmmmmmm we shall see

Kasz216 said:
bbsin said:

I've been saying this for a long time now. I expect this to happen in 1-2 year

The question is... through BC compatability for all... or just by reworking individual games.

Well, the 80 gig already eschews the Emotion Engine and only keeps the Graphics Synthesizer, so all they would need is to emulate the graphics synthesizer since they've been able to Emulate the Emotion Engine using the Cell/RSX right? 

I mean, I know the compatibility number would be down, but they would just need to get the Graphics Synthesizer emulated, then on a game by game basis, tweak them.  It'd probably be a firmware update that does that (maybe adds an icon to XMB and runs the PS2 emulation program?), and then downloadable titles.  Obviously the DL titles would also work if you had the disk, and then there would be titles supported by the GS emulation.

Kasz216 said:
bbsin said:

I expect that it's going to have to be reworked. It's not like we're going to see a HUGE library of games, probably mostly Sony titles and if it does well, 3rd party publishers might jump in.

Trophy support for the games could give sales a boost too, but i doubt they'll do it.

i hope they release dark cloud and dark cloud2 as their 1st select of games for this service if they do it.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Hope it happens. I want Resident Evil 4 on my HDD.

4 ≈ One