By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony slashing jobs, leaving unprofitable businesses

arsenicazure said:
@ukeatdabian
Ofcourse it did, Samsung and Panasonic are brilliant brands. But SONY has always been considered more "upper crust" even when it isnt.

lol i agree.

Around the Network

Well, this was inevitable given that the dollar and euro haven't strengthened.

Sony's best chance is still the recovery of these currencies vs the yen. Otherwise, the next stage is when they post a net loss for the holiday quarter.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

you know what they have closed right?

they closed many of their VHS manufacturing companies around the world(due to low demand)which is a very smart thing to do.

I hope these hard times don't have too bad of an effect on the video game industry. That's a lot of jobs to cut!

DirtyP2002 said:
markers said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Goodbye Sony Ericsson! This one will end for sure.

and a maybe goodbye to Sony Pictures. This one wasn't that profitable lately. Hancock and James Bond might have helped, but in general, Sony Pictures is struggeling.

But a 1.1 billion USD of costs need to be reduced. Does this show something about a PS3 pricecut? Sony just can't get even deeper in the reds with the PS3.

how on earth can the thought even cross your mind of sony pictures going under? it has been very very very profitable. sure they may hit some dry spells every couple months with medicore movies but they have huge hits that earn them so much moolah

well I read an article that said they want to focus on the core business. That would have an impact for Sony Ericsson and Sony Pictures.

lol you guys are overreacting. While sony erricson might go (which i hope it wont.. i have a awesome phone (k810i)) There is no chance they'll let go of the movie industry. It's one of their biggest money makers, and they have their hands in half of hollywood ! I mean comon. Get real XD

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network

The relevant question is what does this mean for a PS3 price cut in the first half of 2009?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

@sinha: A price cut any time soon is not happening. That would totally cancel out these cost savings.

Asking for a price cut is asking for trouble with their shareholders. SCE should lay low.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

DirtyP2002 said:

Goodbye Sony Ericsson! This one will end for sure.

and a maybe goodbye to Sony Pictures. This one wasn't that profitable lately. Hancock and James Bond might have helped, but in general, Sony Pictures is struggeling.

But a 1.1 billion USD of costs need to be reduced. Does this show something about a PS3 pricecut? Sony just can't get even deeper in the reds with the PS3.

Exactly what I was thinking and worrying about :( I do hope that they will wait with movies like Spiderman 4 ( that could help a lot ) and Im alos hoping for a combeack of SE with their new, better reviewed lineup of mobile phones...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Sony Ericson is the likely candidate if they have to cut something...

I highly doubt they would let go of the movie studio as it ties in in their overall strategy a lot more than the cellphone business ever did....

Cellphone companies overall are bound to suffer a lot in the coming years, the market is about saturated in the Western world and in time of crisis people are not going to switch phones as often as they did in the past...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Well, it begins. We could see those numbers rise to closer to 10% of total workforce IMO. Not much they could do about it really, its not really their fault...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099