By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony slashing jobs, leaving unprofitable businesses

sony just might go under...along with ford, gm, wamu....

Around the Network

hopefully it goes okay and has no effect.. .. they might be porting a bit of buisness outside of japan to make up for the strong yen.

Sad for all the people who lost their jobs though. :(

Check out my game about moles ^

I bet that Sony Ericsson is in trouble, there has been news in the past about that venture ending.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Would be silly to leave gaming. Plus there'd be no Sony fanboys to pick on :(

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

It'll be interesting to see who gets cut.

I think that we may see a few devs get downsized. (Sony London, Millinium Kitchen, the HSG people)

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

making room for lvl-5 confirmed?

Galaki said:
Why do CEOs get bonuses even when company is making a net lose?

thats in america, japan is different, japan ceo take much less

japan airlines CEO pay check it's less than pilots.

Goodbye Sony Ericsson! This one will end for sure.

and a maybe goodbye to Sony Pictures. This one wasn't that profitable lately. Hancock and James Bond might have helped, but in general, Sony Pictures is struggeling.

But a 1.1 billion USD of costs need to be reduced. Does this show something about a PS3 pricecut? Sony just can't get even deeper in the reds with the PS3.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

I've been saying this over the last year. Sony overspent in winning the HD war, and are now in a crunhing situation. What good is slashing prices if you're losing money on the item? How is that good business case analysis in this current economic environment. I only took a few economic theory courses, but unless you REALLY expect massive growth, there's no way to rationalize such an investment. Sony is FAR from dead, but 8000 jobs cut is a signifigant amount of jobs to be slashed, and they are shutting down 10% of their manufacturing capability...not good.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

DirtyP2002 said:

Goodbye Sony Ericsson! This one will end for sure.

and a maybe goodbye to Sony Pictures. This one wasn't that profitable lately. Hancock and James Bond might have helped, but in general, Sony Pictures is struggeling.

But a 1.1 billion USD of costs need to be reduced. Does this show something about a PS3 pricecut? Sony just can't get even deeper in the reds with the PS3.

how on earth can the thought even cross your mind of sony pictures going under? it has been very very very profitable. sure they may hit some dry spells every couple months with medicore movies but they have huge hits that earn them so much moolah