By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I want to start playing RPG's. What do I sart with?

As you seem to like Mario games, I will echo LNRT in recommending one of the RPGs in that series (SMRPG, Paper Mario, Paper Mario: TTYD, Mario & Luigi series). They are fun, easy to get into, and extend a world that you are already familiar with. After that, if you want something a bit meatier, move into FFIV DS or FFVI GBA. Or, if you want to get REALLY crazy, some Shin Megami Tensei PS2 games.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Around the Network

Chrono Trigger. After this, you can stop again as you played the best.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

GooseGaws said:
As you seem to like Mario games, I will echo LNRT in recommending one of the RPGs in that series (SMRPG, Paper Mario, Paper Mario: TTYD, Mario & Luigi series). They are fun, easy to get into, and extend a world that you are already familiar with. After that, if you want something a bit meatier, move into FFIV DS or FFVI GBA. Or, if you want to get REALLY crazy, some Shin Megami Tensei PS2 games.

Hells yes for Paper Mario. I have two unfinished Final Fantasy games on a PS2, but I murdered the original Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door.

Chrono Trigger is definitely another good suggestion.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

LNRT said:
I would recommend any of the Mario rpg's. Super Mario RPG (VC), Paper Mario (VC), Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GC), Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA), Mario and Luigi: Partner's in Time (DS). They are easy to get into, have fun battles, and the stories are good if a bit goofy.

Exactly what I was thinking. They are great introductory RPG's for anyone.

sweet. thanks every one. the help is much appreciated.

Around the Network

Final Fantasy X is a good start for your first RPG. It's user-friendly and has a nice average score on both Metacritic and Gamerankings.

Try it, you will not be disappointed. Final Fantasy X was my first game I ever played that was a RPG. I loved it, it sucked a lot of time out of my life. The final boss is epic.

I would say start with the basic series which is Final Fantasy. The most modern final fantasy game that isn't disappointing to some fans is X.

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here and point out that Final Fantasy X's characters and voice acting are so very, very horrible that they may put you off to the genre forever and ever, amen.

Seriously look into Final Fantasy IV DS or Chrono Trigger DS first.

@Khuutra

hmmm, Auron wasn't badass? Jecht wasn't badass, the story wasn't badass? Was Tidus (main character) that lame of a character?

And the voice acting was horrible..lol..your the best :)

Don't make me post a Youtube of the laughing scene

I swear to God I'll do it