By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Placing Bets: Mario Kart Wii will be the best selling console game. Ever.

(Mario this gen is above really incomplete GTA combined.)

Anyways, how's this for scary.

Before this gen single-platform 15m sellers:
1 Super Mario Bros.
2 Pokemon Red / Green / Blue
3 Tetris
4 Duck Hunt
5 Pokemon Gold / Silver
6 Super Mario World
7 Super Mario Land
8 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
9 Super Mario Bros. 3
10 The Sims
11 Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire

Likely to reach for Nintendo this gen:
1 Wii Sports
2 Nintendogs
3 Wii Play
4 NSMB
5 Pokemon DP
6 Brain Age
7 Brain Age 2
8 MK DS
9 MK Wii
10 Wii Fit
11 Just needs 1 more! Wii Sports Resort?

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

How is the GTA really incomplete? I understand that some PC sales aren't included, but this thread was for consoles only really (or so I thought at least).

The console ones seem pretty complete to me.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Erik Aston said:
(Mario this gen is above really incomplete GTA combined.)

Anyways, how's this for scary.

Before this gen single-platform 15m sellers:
1 Super Mario Bros.
2 Pokemon Red / Green / Blue
3 Tetris
4 Duck Hunt
5 Pokemon Gold / Silver
6 Super Mario World
7 Super Mario Land
8 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
9 Super Mario Bros. 3
10 The Sims
11 Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire

Likely to reach for Nintendo this gen:
1 Wii Sports
2 Nintendogs
3 Wii Play
4 NSMB
5 Pokemon DP
6 Brain Age
7 Brain Age 2
8 MK DS
9 MK Wii
10 Wii Fit
11 Just needs 1 more! Wii Sports Resort?

That is really scary

mk wii is my fav wii game so i'd be happy to see it up there.

Oyvoy,

We're talking handhelds too, and I really think that "no PC" is just another meaningless stipulation.

Anyways, I know that according to Take-2 shipment numbers, GTAIII was at 14.5m, VC at 17.5m and SA at 21.5m some time ago. That's 53.5m for those 3 alone. Adding in the rest of VGC's numbers brings the total to 81.63m. Seeing that there's still some missing games for GTA, I'd say that current-gen Mario vs. all-time GTA is basically "too close to call." But probably only for a couple of weeks...

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

OK, seriously guys.. please stop talking about how Nintendo is a monster or i will have nightmares with italian plumbers, virtual dogs and weird monsters.

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

Erik Aston said:
Oyvoy,

We're talking handhelds too, and I really think that "no PC" is just another meaningless stipulation.

Anyways, I know that according to Take-2 shipment numbers, GTAIII was at 14.5m, VC at 17.5m and SA at 21.5m some time ago. That's 53.5m for those 3 alone. Adding in the rest of VGC's numbers brings the total to 81.63m. Seeing that there's still some missing games for GTA, I'd say that current-gen Mario vs. all-time GTA is basically "too close to call." But probably only for a couple of weeks...

I don't know. The problem with including PC numbers (when one doesn't have shipments for them), is that you're normally including some games that have PC data, and some games that don't. It could flaw up the comparison.

I also doubt your numbers a bit, as this would mean GTA:SA sold less on PC than GTA 3 and VC.

GTA:SA on Ps2 + XB sold 19.43M, whereas the other 2 had a gap of over 3M from what you claim. I cannot see this being reality.

Of course, it may be the case, or it may be T2 including the XB double pack (which is GTA3+VC, right?) to their numbers. Still, then that would only add in 4M in total from PC for the 3 games, which is also doubtful.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

If Wii Fit is not counted; then the golden cow will be number one.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

I love this game! It's my most played game this gen and I think it deserves every single sale. The comment about no improvement in controls is silly at best.

Personally, I have seen any retailer bundles that include MK:Wii. I was under the impression that they bundle games which don't sell well. This way they force the customer to purchase games they don't want if they want a Wii. MK:Wii sells itself. I could be wrong though, that's just what I've seen.

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

MK Wii comes with a steering wheel. It's bundled too.