By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Placing Bets: Mario Kart Wii will be the best selling console game. Ever.

Legend11 said:
It will do well but does it really deserve that many sales? What exactly has the new Mario Kart brought to the table? No leap in graphics, physics, or even controls. I give it the golden cow award for most successful milking of a franchise.

I litteraly facepalmed my entire face off here, this post is THAT stupid.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
It will do well but does it really deserve that many sales? What exactly has the new Mario Kart brought to the table? No leap in graphics, physics, or even controls. I give it the golden cow award for most successful milking of a franchise.

There have been few so deserving. I hereby give you the Epic Fail award for most fail-filled posts in one afternoon. Cherish it well, young one.

@neos

BOOOO!

Super smah Bros>>Mario KArt for life

I had big fights with people in primary school over this back in the day!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

noname2200 said:
Legend11 said:

There have been few so deserving. I hereby give you the Epic Fail award for most fail-filled posts in one afternoon. Cherish it well, young one.

Hehe awesome.

Other than that, Mario Kart Wii will be the best selling single platform non bundled console game, by VGChartz data, in the first 12 months from launch in first territory (long title, I know). That's faster than GTA:SA. As a matter of fact, it will take MKWii 40 weeks to sell what GTA:SA sold in 52 weeks.

In this time, GTA:SA had a price cut, and also (I believe) platinum. MKWii has yet to get any of those.

So I don't see how this is even a question. MKWii is likely to anhilate any previous generation (I think you should have worded it like that) console game.

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=Others&game1=Mario+Kart+Wii+-+Wii&reg2=Others&game2=Mario+Kart+Wii+-+Wii&reg3=All&game3=&weeks=52&weekly=1

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=America&game1=Mario+Kart+Wii+-+Wii&reg2=America&game2=Mario+Kart+Wii+-+Wii&reg3=All&game3=&weeks=52&weekly=1

These graphs tell more than enough. Name 1 previous generation console game that didn't drop below 50k in its first 40 weeks in Others or any region really, and that actually got a smiley mouth on the weekly sales.

It is just crazy in Americas too, but the graph doesn't show that too well, due to the launch being so big (2nd biggest Nintendo launch in Americas you know).

The game will freaking outsell Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros. Brawl combined.

So to sum it up - there is no question that Mario Kart Wii will beat all previous non-bundled single platform console games.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Mario Kart Wii really is a great success. I really do believe that it will outsell GTA but perhaps Wii Fit also does? And Wii Play was never bundled, neither was Wii Fit.

Around the Network

Yes, if you exclude all the games that sell better than it, then Mario Kart Wii will be the best-selling console game ever. ;)

It will.

Easily.

Sorta. Kinda. If you exclude a bunch of stuff needlessly...

The other way to look at it is that every time Nintendo reaches into the 20m+ stratosphere this generation and people have an excuse for why it "doesn't count," Nintendo just does it again sans excuse...

Nintendogs hits 20m...but it has multiple SKUs so it doesn't count!

NSMB will hit 20m... but its handheld so it doesn't count!

Wii Sports hits 20m... but its bundled so it doesn't count!

Wii Play will hit 20m... but its $10 with a controller so it doesn't count!

Wii Fit will hit 20m... but its $90 with a controller so it doesn't count!

Mario Kart Wii will hit 20m... but... but... but... but does it really deserve that many sales? What exactly has the new Mario Kart brought to the table? No leap in graphics, physics, or even controls. I give it the golden cow award for most successful milking of a franchise.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Erik Aston said:
Sorta. Kinda. If you exclude a bunch of stuff needlessly...

The other way to look at it is that every time Nintendo reaches into the 20m+ stratosphere this generation and people have an excuse, Nintendo just does it again sans excuse...

Nintendogs hits 20m...but it has multiple SKUs so it doesn't count!

NSMB will hit 20m... but its handheld so it doesn't count!

Wii Sports hits 20m... but its bundled so it doesn't count!

Wii Play will hit 20m... but its $10 with a controller so it doesn't count!

Wii Fit will hit 20m... but its $90 with a controller so it doesn't count!

Mario Kart Wii will hit 20m... but... but... but... but does it really deserve that many sales? What exactly has the new Mario Kart brought to the table? No leap in graphics, physics, or even controls. I give it the golden cow award for most successful milking of a franchise.

This was pretty funny until I realized that in five games Nintendo has sold more than most franchises ever dream about reaching. Then it became terrifying.

Wii Fit will beat it, i am thinking. Both, however, should outsell San Andreas, which shall cement Nintendo's place back at the helm of the industry

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.