By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - MS: Gears 2 sales approaching 3mil. (Is gears 2 a bit overtracked on VGC?)

KatinJin said:
You forgot to add this little part;

“Maybe [Epic VP] Mark Rein has a more up to date number.”

That right there can make all the difference in the world for one.

if this is shipped, then either way it is over tracked. If it is sellthough, I would say vgc is right on the dot.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network
craighopkins said:
Here we go again with all these Sony fan boys .
These threads pop up all the time

This one actually has logic. If its the old case of the "selling to retailers and selling to consumers" difference then the overtracking is worse, not better

Ismailxp said:
There is a difference between sold to retailers, and sold to consumers. The data that MS has is the 'sold to retailers', so Gear of War 2 is WAY overtracked i think, definitely more than just 300k

You are right, most of the time when companies release numbers it is shipped. A major exception to the rule is when they announced BF hardware.

Yeah it looks like Gears has been severley overtracked . But then it's understandable considereing the popularity of the franchise and it's high sales volme.

bigjon said:
Ismailxp said:
There is a difference between sold to retailers, and sold to consumers. The data that MS has is the 'sold to retailers', so Gear of War 2 is WAY overtracked i think, definitely more than just 300k

You are right, most of the time when companies release numbers it is shipped. A major exception to the rule is when they announced BF hardware.

Yeah. Konami for example, revealed that MGS4 is shipped over 4.3 million but the actual sales to consumers are around 3.6 mil. 

Systems owned: PS1 PS2 PS3 PSP N64 Wii iPhone
Around the Network

MS has shipped way more than 3 million at this point you can count on that. If they did 2 the first weekend and Gears 2 performs anywhere near the legs of Gears 1 you can bet they're pushing near 4 million shipped by the end of the week. If NPD reports close to VGC on Thursday you can also bet they are not too far off WW either. At the Gears one ratio at 2 million for November in the US for Gears 2 it could see another 1.6 million in December. That is merely using the ratio of Gears 1 sales in 2006 for Nov and Dec. They would have to push shipments way further than 3 million by this point. That is just simply the math of having enough stock through Christmas week and that is merely the US.

The best question to ask is what period Nelson is talking about.

When NPD debuts, we'll see where Gears 2 was/is at for the end of November. It could be higher, or lower than we think.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

craighopkins said:
Here we go again with all these Sony fan boys .
These threads pop up all the time

I know.  I hate it when these sales discussions threads pop up on VGCHARTZ.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

KatinJin said:

MS has shipped way more than 3 million at this point you can count on that. If they did 2 the first weekend and Gears 2 performs anywhere near the legs of Gears 1 you can bet they're pushing near 4 million shipped by the end of the week. If NPD reports close to VGC on Thursday you can also bet they are not too far off WW either. At the Gears one ratio at 2 million for November in the US for Gears 2 it could see another 1.6 million in December. That is merely using the ratio of Gears 1 sales in 2006 for Nov and Dec. They would have to push shipments way further than 3 million by this point. That is just simply the math of having enough stock through Christmas week and that is merely the US.

Gears 1 was a new IP. New IP's have slower adoption rates, but if they are really good like gears they have nice long legs. Sequels have more day 1 purchases because all the people who loved the first are going to get it in the first 2 weeks.

Also, Gears fighting against CODWaW... I know they are different, but many people are only going to buy one or the other. Much the same way Res2 is losing sales to it.

Sony, Nintendo and MS certainly getting preview numbers from NPD. With Nintendo talking about 800K Black Friday week and this. So were propably talking 3 million through November 29th.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.