By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: 800K Wiis sold Thanksgiving Week. VGC Confirmed?!?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/feedarticle/8131440

KYOTO, Japan, Dec 8 (Reuters) - Nintendo Co Ltd said it has not felt any particular impact from the economic slowdown, with sales of its Wii video game console and DS handheld game player still strong.
Nintendo President Satoru Iwata told Reuters in an interview that Wii sales during the Thanksgiving holiday week came to about 800,000 units in the United States, more than double the 350,000 units it sold in the same period a year earlier.
"When the economy is strong, people tend to buy three things from the top of their wish list. But when things are bad, people often buy only the first thing on their list," Iwata said. "Fortunately for us a lot of shoppers put our products at the top of their list."
Iwata said sales of its DS handheld were up about 20 percent during the Thanksgiving holiday week in the U.S. compared with a year earlier. (Reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka)

Awful damn close to ioi's numbers (though his are for Americas, not just the US).  I know there's already a news topic on this, but I prefer discussing it in a thread as opposed to the news posts.

Around the Network

"Fortunately for us a lot of shoppers put our products at the top of their list."

Iwata knows, you see. He even planned this economic downturn in advance.

actually according to this Wii totals for last week should be over 850k (minimum)

This is 800k in just US. Add 10-15% for rest of NA.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:
actually according to this Wii totals for last week should be over 850k (minimum)

TheSource explained that by 800,000, Iwata means 775,000 since if it was over 800,000 he would have said. It's only +10% for other NA territories so VGC is about right.

Soleron said:
bigjon said:

TheSource explained that by 800,000, Iwata means 775,000 since if it was over 800,000 he would have said. It's only +5% for other NA territories so VGC is about right.

yea, the source is guessing he means 775k... Maybe it is 799? 805? Source could be right. But either way Wii sales were more like 850k in NA at the least (775k + 10%)

Also if we are gonna assume Nintendo is rounding up or exagerating... then why dont we just assume that MS MEANT to say the 360 increase 22% when they said "about 25%"

just a thought.

Around the Network
Soleron said:
bigjon said:

TheSource explained that by 800,000, Iwata means 775,000 since if it was over 800,000 he would have said. It's only +5% for other NA territories so VGC is about right.

What? Iwata streching the truth? blasphemy !!!

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47568

brawl friendcode - 3823-8201-9151

mario kart wii friendcode - 0387-9491-4552

PM me if you add me plz.

150vg$ bet(with haggy) mk wii 2009 worldwide sales > any 360/ps3 game released in 2009.

current mk wii worldwide sales (jan 9th): 553k

no thesource is just saying iwata did to make the vgc number correlate better with Nintendos.

it has not been confirmed.

NPD must be furious...

bigjon said:

yea, the source is guessing he means 775k... Maybe it is 799? 805? Source could be right. But either way Wii sales were more like 850k in NA at the least (775k + 10%)

Also if we are gonna assume Nintendo is rounding up or exagerating... then why dont we just assume that MS MEANT to say the 360 increase 22% when they said "about 25%"

just a thought.

I'm not going to defend his Wii number, but I will say that the US -> All NA figure is definitely +5%, not 10%, based on all past VGC data.

Also, Nintendo doesn't know the precise number of Wiis sold to the consumer either: shipments would have been lower than sellthrough due to stockpiling and so for other figures Nintendo have to rely on NPD, etc. which can be just as (in)accurate as VGC.

Good job VGC!

And they say the third year of a console is the hugest… cool I can’t wait for next year!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(