By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Anyone with atech suppot job, past or present?

I've got an interview tomorrow for a job for over the phone tech support at Apple, I would apreciate any advice from anyone who has had an interview for a tech support position - what sort of questions were you asked?

Thanks alot

Around the Network

Have you ever had to deal with an irate customer? How did/would you handle it?

haha I raised my hands and swore and oath to defend my nation.. and thus I became ISC for 8th Marines for a while before being transfered to 1/10... all jokes aside be confident and keep the umms to a min. As for questions they will ask... I couldn't really say... it depends on the entry level. Just do your best and try to remain confident. Believing in yourself makes it easier for others to believe in you.

Thanks alot

All the advice you need for the job.

Playing : PC  AOE, DiRT 2, Runes of Magic, Wings of Prey & Planetside 2  

Wii U : Nintendoland, Super Mario U  & Fifa 2013 demo

DS : Guitar Hero : On Tour

Formerly unknown as Vengi

http://vgchartz.com/profiles/profile.php?id=2331

Around the Network

yeah what cuiel said plus, just make sure you don't say things like customers are idiots and such, kinda obvious, but it can be easy at times to talk to casually. Also it may not hurt to emphasize your technical hobby. A lot of tech support people need to learn things rather quickly. If your someone who is not the type that says "after looking at a computer all day at work I can't stand to get home and look at one" than you are a welcome candidate for tech support. Also given that you have a tendancy to learn about stuff "for fun" it's a better bet that you would pick up more work related knowledge than someone who's just there fo rhte job.

Does all that stuff make sense?

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Another ability you should have is the ability to make things simple for the customer. If you were to explain RAM to a customer, how would you do it?

Senlis said:
Another ability you should have is the ability to make things simple for the customer. If you were to explain RAM to a customer, how would you do it?

This

once they are confident in your technical abilities (or at least aptitude) the deciding factor is your customer service. people who call tech support (even apple tech support) don't know much about the subject, how will you deal with them (not just the irate ones but that is part of it)

I would also like to say good luck. I currently work a a part time tech in the geek squad and I have nothing but respect for phone support people because face to face customer service is hard, over the phone it is atleast 5-10 times harder.

Hope it goes well.

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

Say that...

-You have patience with people who lack the knowledge you have.
-You always have a smile on your face, even when your customer is not seeing it.
-You have empathy.
-You see yourself in your customer's place.
-You always give your best to help.

The main point is your ability to deal with the customers and not your knowledge. As tech support you will have a huge database to help you help the customers. As others have posted, be confident, but don't act like you know it all. Show that you are willing to learn.

Dress professionally, yes a tie (even though once you work there you will probably go in jeans and a T-shirt)
Be well groomed. If you have a facial hair cut it, then let it grow back after your hired.
Get a good nights sleep
And show up 15 min early. (If you might show up late have the phone number and call to let them know beforehand.)

Good luck!