By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Star Ocean 4 or White Knight Chronicles?

Well i for one complain about the lack of RPG's on the PS3 but i'm not interested in SRPG's or the anime looking ones (enter VC) so WKC is a must have for me, and i'm sure that a lot of others will agree with this!

JRPG's are where it's at lol

Around the Network
Riachu said:
Godot said:
My take: both will be great games (I'm more interested in SO4 because I like Star Ocean) but both games won't sell very well. I say both should be able to reach 200k in Japan and WKC should be able to make it to 300k or even 400k. However, I fear both games won't do well in the west. However, they could do well if they are advertised properly.

Star Ocean will probably get advertised properly since S-E are pretty good with marketing. It's WKC we have to worry about since Sony has has problems with marketing in the past couple of years.  I'm sure S-E with market SO4 as best as they can since they most likely want it to do way better than Infinite Undiscovery and The Last Remnant.

Yeah, TLR marketing has been so awesome. Wait, what marketing?

So far the only rpg's for the 360 properly backed by marketing have been Blue Dragon (marketed in Japan) and Lost Odyssey (marketed in the West).

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

@Bitmap

I have seen loads of adverts for TLR on the 360 and also IU!

Infact the amount of advertising the 360 is seeing in the EU (the UK for me) its getting rather annoying seeing the same ones over and over again several times a night...

Squall_Leonhart said:
@Bitmap

I have seen loads of adverts for TLR on the 360 and also IU!

Infact the amount of advertising the 360 is seeing in the EU (the UK for me) its getting rather annoying seeing the same ones over and over again several times a night...

Well, I haven't seen any TLR or IU adverts and I'm in Europe as well. Not calling you a liar, just saying they promote different games in different countries and if anything this means to them TLR wasn't worth global marketing for all Europe, unlike LIPS...

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Yeah i know what you mean, the lips ads are by far the most annoying of any console out there imo!

I would like to see Sony advertise a lot more, i mean i have not seen a PS3 advert for an exclusive game for months now! I see the new PSP one all the time but the only PS3 ones seem to be the football game ones and the odd platinum range one. I mean Resistance 2 surely would warrant some advertising!

Around the Network

I'm going to ignore the sales argument, as both games will probably be nowhere near recovering dev costs.

For quality: I will buy both, but Star Ocean 3 frankly sucked. It had a mediocre plot, incredibly slow pacing, and very repetitive gameplay. Hopefully SO4 improves on that some, but the record is not looking good for SO4. That said, if this game manages to be more sci-fi and less bullshit wandering around 3rd world planets, has a Japanese voices option, better pacing, and a similar enjoyable combat system, I'll absolutely enjoy it.

White Knight Chronicles includes a full robust single-player RPG, which I am very much looking forward to, as I've had nothing but good experiences with their single-player games in the past. Great experiences even with some of them. Not only that, but the game has a full online co-op game completely separate from the main game, with customizable characters, online city hubs, and a new story and adventure.

In scope and scale, there is no comparison. So unless the gameplay just really sucks on WKC, which seems unlikely given the past development of Level 5, for me, the quality choice is a very easy one.

Also, looking at the games these companies have made recently, Tri-Ace really made a steaming piece of poo with Infinite Undiscovery, and SO3 was far worse than the previous two games in the franchise. Level 5 most recently released Jeanne D'Arc and the Layton games this gen, which were stellar. Last gen their record was just as good with DQVIII and Dark Cloud 2 (Rogue Galaxy wasn't too great however IMO).

On graphics: I wouldn't give either game an advantage. SO4 is sharper and crisper, but that's always the case when comparing PS3 and 360 games. For example: Look at MGS4 and Gears of War 2. Both are graphically stellar, but the PS3 uses a smoother rendering style, and the 360's rendering style tends to be more edgy and focused on rough textures. WKC is the same way, with a smoother more anime-like rendering and SO4 with the rougher more Gears of War style solid texture design.

For quality.. equal.

For sales... WKC.

I just found a link that states that WKC runs in 1080p!!
http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/3824.html

If Star Ocean 4 "Infact" Does become multi-platform between the 360 AND the PS3 like pretty much everyone keeps saying then no, SO4 will have greater sales.

If not then its anyone guess.

@nazna: I think both games will be making profit if they sell over 1m copies worldwide on their respective console. For single-player, I´m more inclined to SO4, whereas post-mortem (after finishing the single-player) WKC. SO4 will have lots of RPG elements, skills like cooking, scouting and the ability to build relationships with other characters to name a few, so that will add replay value. WKC will probably also have some strong RPG elements outside of combat. I think to me it will end up like replaying SO4 for other endings and focus on online-mode only after single-player of WKC. They both look great, to me though SO4 looks gorgeous (my only grip is the pic of that blue-haired Fellpool) . It´s not a best graphics contender, but how the gameplay flows, the slick menus, the crisp, sharp detailed backgrounds and characters is stunning.