By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will 2009 be the year the PS2 finally dies??

I think as soon as the PS3 is making enough profit on the hardware at a reasonable price, they will implement software backwards compatibility and discontinue the PS2 to force customers to upgrade and expand the PS3 install base.

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Around the Network

Ps2 has a 10-year cycle, didn't they tell you? Counting from the NA release, the ps2 will be around till 2010!

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

I think it will last 2 more years. Right now is SCEA's big weapon against the Wii and people is still buying it. Also, companies are still making games for it. It may last as long as or maybe even more than the NES.

It will be around for a long time still, definitely past next year.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

No way. People are still buying it. If it gets one AAA exclusive a year, it'll stay more than alive. God of War II last year, Persona 4 this year.

Having said that, it has a better library than any other console. They won't stop shipping it until demand dies down in around 2012, I reckon.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective