By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Factor 5 in troubles.

bengabnga: microsoft like to spend their money in games. 360 has many exclusives of third party games even square enix games!

360 have a lot of time exclusives and exclusive DLC.

even microsoft bought rare!!! they can buy a lot of exclusives and companies. admit it

Around the Network

well factor 5 were nintendo second party, they made engines for nintendo

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

They bought Rare because Nintendo sold it to them.

Buying DLC or exclusivity is different than buying a company.

There is also no proof that MS bought any of those things.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Max King of the Wild said:
Didn't Lair only cost 20mil to make?

Only?

It sold 0.37m copies in NA and Japan. Assuming every copy cost $60, that's 22.2 million of revenue, only a part of which goes to the developer. That doesn't account for Others sales, but of course we know many of the copies were bundled.

Lair was a flop by any standard, especially financially. The only question is how the losses got distributed between Sony and Factor 5.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Didn't Lair only cost 20mil to make?

Only?

It sold 0.37m copies in NA and Japan. Assuming every copy cost $60, that's 22.2 million of revenue, only a part of which goes to the developer. That doesn't account for Others sales, but of course we know many of the copies were bundled.

Lair was a flop by any standard, especially financially. The only question is how the losses got distributed between Sony and Factor 5.

But you are forgeting Europe. Assuming it only sold 130k there lair made 30mil revenue. It obviously was a flop but I doubt 5mil would make a difference on going bankrupt in this kind of situations.

Around the Network

I did not forget it. My point was that it would have to have sold like gangbusters in Europe to make it profitable, since most of that revenue doesn't end up in the developer's hands.

Go Ninty Go! Bring us Kid Icarus!

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

^ didn't the breakdown squilliam provided showed like half of a 60 dollar game goes to the developer? 15mil income from a 20mil cost 5mil loss... doubt it would make much difference in this situation.

Ninty needs to buy them.
(>'.')>

@Max King of the Wild: I'm not sure it would be half, but as I said before it's possible Factor 5 didn't even lose any money with Lair. The game may have been entirely financed by Sony, we just don't know.