By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GameSpot Best of 2008 Preliminaries.

Holy crap at Gears being snubbed. I bet GS forums are in chaos right now...

Bioshock? Really? :|

Around the Network
Zucas said:
1. LittleBigPlanet
2. Metal Gears Solid 4
3. MGS4
4. GTA IV, Resi 2, NHL 09, Bioshock
5. World of Goo, The World Ends With You, No More Heroes, Prince of Persia
6. God of War 3, Alan Wake, Some Nintendo Game We don't Know Yet, MadWorld, Resident Evil 5

Really?

Alright, I admit it, NHL 09 shouldn't be in there. Just didn't want to offend any hockey fanatics :P

They should have put in Gears 2, Chains of Olympus and TWEWY instead of BioShock (again, amazing game, but 2007 game), NHL 09 and Braid.

Remember these aren't the Game of the Year nominees. Just the preliminary candidates. Not that I know the difference, mind you.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Wow they have an entire board dedicated to Best of 2008. I'm going there now, I'll tell you about some of the things I see.

Aha. I found something.

Here is the official schedule for how GameSpot's Best of 2008 awards will run. The times posted are only estimates. so there may be slight delays.

* Friday, December 19 (5 p.m. PST): The full awards feature goes live, all categories and nominees unveiled, and voting for the Readers' Choice portion of the awards will begin This is when we find out who the REAL nominees are.
* Monday, December 22 (Noon PST): Special Achievement award winners revealed
* Tuesday, December 23 (Noon PST): Dubious Honors award recipients revealed
* Wednesday, December 24 (Noon PST): Genre Awards winners revealed
* Thursday, December 25 (Noon PST): Platform Awards winners revealed
* Friday, December 26 (Noon PST): Game of the Year winner revealed

Be sure to vote for your favorite games for the Readers' Choice awards, which will be posted at a later date.

FilaBrasileiro said:
Zucas said:
1. LittleBigPlanet
2. Metal Gears Solid 4
3. MGS4
4. GTA IV, Resi 2, NHL 09, Bioshock
5. World of Goo, The World Ends With You, No More Heroes, Prince of Persia
6. God of War 3, Alan Wake, Some Nintendo Game We don't Know Yet, MadWorld, Resident Evil 5

Really?

Well GTA IV is just personal bias... think it got a free ride when it came to things so I'm not going to give it one.  And Resi 2 is just another thing personal as I'm tired of all these shooters being the games people put on pedastals.  Make room for things that aren't that so that's why Resi 2 gets the kick.  At least I'm honest.

Around the Network
Kantor said:
Alright, I admit it, NHL 09 shouldn't be in there. Just didn't want to offend any hockey fanatics :P

They should have put in Gears 2, Chains of Olympus and TWEWY instead of BioShock (again, amazing game, but 2007 game), NHL 09 and Braid.

Remember these aren't the Game of the Year nominees. Just the preliminary candidates. Not that I know the difference, mind you.

After reading some of these comments, I see there are ALOT of people who don't realize these 10 games aren't being voted on for GOTY, the question asked is:

"In your opinion, which of the following games has the most momentum going into the 2008 awards?"

The answer is DEFINETLY MGS4 out of those 10 for momentum. Anyone who votes for anything else is fooling themselves.

And I agree, when the true candidates appear, I better see TWEWY in a category.

Proud Owner of: 

250gig FFXIII SE Xbox 360, 250gig Xbox 360 S, black Wii, 120gig PS3 Slim, soon to be 3DS *___*

Zucas said:

Well GTA IV is just personal bias... think it got a free ride when it came to things so I'm not going to give it one. And Resi 2 is just another thing personal as I'm tired of all these shooters being the games people put on pedastals. Make room for things that aren't that so that's why Resi 2 gets the kick. At least I'm honest.

Understandable.
c0rd said:

1) What game do you think deserves to win?

Unfortunately I haven't played them all (saving MGS for later), but from what I've played, SSBB.

2) What game do you think will win the Gamespot GoTY?

MGS4? I don't really know Gamespot.

3) What game do you think will win User GoTY?

MGS4.

4) What games are in there that shouldn't be?

NHL09(?), Bioshock, Resistance 2 - GTFO. Sorry, I have a thing against Resistance xP

5) What games aren't in there that should be?

Gears of War 2? Amazed R2 made it there when GeoW2 didn't...

6) What five games next year do you think will be contenders for GoTY?

It's nearly impossible to tell at this point. Microsoft and Nintendo (and possibly Sony) have been holding their cards, who knows what they'll surprise us with.

edit: Noticed Zucas mentioned TWEWY, do they include handhelds for this stuff?

What's your beef with R2?

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Holy crap at Gears being snubbed. I bet GS forums are in chaos right now...

Bioshock? Really? :|

No threads on it. In the 360 GoTY thread, somebody made a post saying "I can't believe Gears 2 isn't a 2008 nominee :S"

He was immediately corrected by damage control, pointing out that these were preliminaries.

Gotta love the GS forums :P

Infamous said:
Kantor said:

After reading some of these comments, I see there are ALOT of people who don't realize these 10 games aren't being voted on for GOTY, the question asked is:

"In your opinion, which of the following games has the most momentum going into the 2008 awards?"

The answer is DEFINETLY MGS4 out of those 10 for momentum. Anyone who votes for anything else is fooling themselves.

And I agree, when the true candidates appear, I better see TWEWY in a category.

The prelims are always treated as a Game of The Year vote. Every year.

The fact that it's momentum makes it all the more strange. Braid and NHL 09 have more momentum than Gears 2?

FilaBrasileiro said:

What's your beef with R2?

I actually don't think it's that bad, but it feels really generic to me. I'm not a fan of the art direction, and the gameplay feels really stale. I'll admit I haven't played it that much, just a few hours, but it just didn't click with me. I know it was stupid of me to buy the game seeing as how I couldn't stand R1, I think I just sorta rode on the hype here...

It's just preference, really. Certain FPS I love, others I don't. Half-life multiplayer = terrible, (pre-valve) Counter-strike / DoD = good. That sorta thing...