By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Days of Just Assuming that the Wii Version is Inferior are OVER!

For a long time people got in the habit of always assuming that the Wii version was always a poor quality port, or a gimped version of the HD game. Well guess what? Market share talks, and third party developers are starting to give the Wii a lot more love and respect.

Earlier today a posting just flippantly recommended for Shaun White Snowboarding “to get the P360 version”. I’m sure the poster just assumed that they MUST be better but he would have a very hard time finding ANY reputable game review to support that view.

*  it must be factored in that if Game Informer ever actually gave a Wii game the high score their heads would explode

And this is far from the only example as the Wii version has ranked higher in several other games and has been very competitive on others. What almost all of these games have in common is that the developers chose to write a separate version designed for the Wii and to take advantage of its unique strength. I hope and will even predict that this trend will increase. The user base has just become too large to ignore especially when development costs are so much lower

I don’t think anyone this side of CrazyMan would ever claim that any of these review sources have a pro-Wii bias. And some, especially Game Informer seem to consistently score the Wii lower compared to the average on Metacritic. ** Therefore I think that there is reason to take these reviews seriously.

I’m not claiming that the HD consoles do not have the upper hand in scores on a majority of multi-platform releases but I think the days of just taking that for granted are over.

** (I would be completely honest and state it a lot stronger than that except that I don’t want to set off a flame war)

Around the Network

The 1 Up diff. is BS. Otherwise its true. Meta critic translates the letter grades wrong. A-= 90
B= 85
C= 70 ect

So all new wii games won't have jaggies all over the screen on HD TVs, awesome!

This is a very good thing. Hopefully this will only get better and show others that the Wii does have good games and reaffirm Wii owners that maybe their decision in choosing to go with the Wii wasn't bad after all....

flagship said:
So all new wii games won't have jaggies all over the screen on HD TVs, awesome!

Get a decent AV receiver with upsampling and HDMI out and even the old ones don't. Sony happens to make some of the best.

Around the Network

...still wanna try Wii Shaun White and Wii Sonic Unleashed.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Demonik said:
This is a very good thing. Hopefully this will only get better and show others that the Wii does have good games and reaffirm Wii owners that maybe their decision in choosing to go with the Wii wasn't bad after all....

I never doubted it to begin with. Eye candy's nice but simple intuitive control makes the games more fun. If I was only concerned about games looking pretty I wouldn't have switched to the Wii from the PC where I had been running graphics a lot higher than "HD" for years.

Cherry picking. Why not list every multi-platform game released before and after a specific date and run with that?

Legend11 said:
Cherry picking. Why not list every multi-platform game released before and after a specific date and run with that?

Maybe because people who actually read his OP know that he's simply saying that it can't be automatically assumed anymore?

Just a thought.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Might wanna wait until we get some examples of games that people actually care about :P