By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I have discovered Nintendo's philosophy. (Can you make it work for PS360?)

Nintendo's current strategies are very simply and brilliantly following the age-old wisdom of this rhyme:

Something old (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Virtual Console, arcade on-rails shooters, catering to traditional markets and reinvigorating nostalgic relapsed gamers from the 70s and 80s, and they used older cheaper technology to have cheaper development costs to create opportunities for more cheaper games and more experimental games with smaller budgets and teams)
Something new (new product design, new ad campaigns, even a new logo color, IR pointer, speaker on remote, motion sensing, Nintendogs, Brain Training, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, WiiWare, creating and expanding new markets)
Something borrowed (they borrowed remote and pointer design from TV and DVD remotes that people are familiar with, borrowed Wii Channels interface from TV and a PC-style icon interface people are familiar with, and it's the only system with 100% full backwards compatibility with its predecessor)
And something blue (Brilliant application of blue ocean strategy, Endless Ocean, and exclusive Sonic games like Sonic and the Secret Rings, Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl)

Try and make that work for the 360 or the PS3. I dare you. Good luck.

Also, yes, this is what I do when I'm drunk.

Around the Network

......are you actually praising them for a logo change from red to grey

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

soulsamurai said:

No, but getting out of the 80s is part of their new image and marketing strategy, so I can see where they're coming from, and it's definitely not going to hurt sales.

So who is the Wii marrying?

The Ghost of RubangB said:
soulsamurai said:

No, but getting out of the 80s is part of their new image and marketing strategy, so I can see where they're coming from, and it's definitely not going to hurt sales.

meh i don't really know anyone who thought they were still in the 80's, but i do agree that its not going to affect sales at all.

Around the Network
Imthelegend said:
So who is the Wii marrying?

Yesterday: My heart.

Today: The world.

Tomorrow: ???

4: Profit.

soulsamurai said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
soulsamurai said:

meh i don't really know anyone who thought they were still in the 80's, but i do agree that its not going to affect sales at all.

I think they're doing it for the random folks out there who have never played a game and think of Nintendo as gaming from 1985-1995, PlayStation as gaming from 1996-2005, and Wii/DS as gaming from 2006-onward.

When they're working on a logo they don't worry about people like us.  They definitely don't have to try hard to convince people like me anymore.  They could change their logo to a swastika made out of dildos and I might even buy more games than before.

O.O hahaha i have nothing to say to that

I always assumed Nintendo's secret involved human sacrifices to some demon living under Myamoto's house. Probaby looks a bit like Pkiachu, but with fangs and eats children.

Kind of like what always happened in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Unless Wolfram & Heart is their PR firm, then it would be like an episode of Angel.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

I'm sorry, I don't think you have the right strategy

something old:
playstation in the name
Xbox in the name
same controler as last gen

Something new:
HD graphics

something borowed:
sixaxis when wiimote anounced
FFXIII, GTA... from sony's lineup

Something blue: