By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Planning to buy a PS3 – A few questions

midwinter said:

I think any cheap router works fine with the PS3. I have set up all different brands and types for friends and myself and never had a problem with any one of them. I would say just buy a cheap Linksys router at Wal-Mart or Best Buy and you should be fine.

Make sure that if you want to play PS1/PS2 games on your PS3 that you get the memory card adapter (you can save new files directly on the PS3 hard drive, but need the adapter to plug in old memory cards that you have previous saves).

Also make sure to get an HDMI cable if your TV and receiver support it. They do not come packaged in. (I think this is still true - I bought mine on the release date so it has been awhile.)

Thanks for the reply. I don´t need BC because I still have a PS2 and my TV does not support HDTV. That is the next thing I need: an HDTV.

www.jamesvandermemes.com

Around the Network
Hephaestos said:
do they not sell PS3's in brazil or is it because the price is very different?

cause I dunno how it is in brazil, but be carefull of having the proper power outlets and plugs (US is 120V with flat plugs)

I just say that cause I used to import my consoles to europe :p

The price is very different. While here it would cost me about 700-800 dollars for a PS3, I can get one for 400 in th euS. Since I will be traveling to the US, I will be able to save a lot of money.

About the plugs, all the consoles I bought were alwasy from the US and I never had any problems. So I don´t foresee that this will be a problem, either.

www.jamesvandermemes.com

Are there bundles at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. (like to get the PS3 with a game or an extra controller for 399 dollars)? These will be my main stores to look for it because they appear to be everywhere in the US

NO 399 will get u a 80g ps3 with one controller there is a 160g ps3 with the game Uncharted great game and a PSN game called PAIN for 499 Gamestop sells used PS3 for 80g wit B/C 450$ 60g wit B/C 430$ 40g wit no B/C 350$ 80g wit no B/C 380$

Do stores like Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. sell cheaper used games?

NO look for Gamestop, EBgames, GameCrazy FYE for used games WM and BB might have older games for 49.99 instead of 59.99 MGS4 is already 49.99 here in Jersey

Do all those stores have PSN cards for sale

NO look for Best Buy, Blockbuster, 7/11, Rite Aid, maybe Wallmart

Does the PS3 come with any demo or PSN game already on the HDD

NO but all demos r free the 160g comes with PAIN

Is there a lot of people still playing Warhawk (like anytime I try I will find hundreds of people playing it)? I really want to play this game. Especially since it’s cheaper now and will give hours and hours of fun, since it will be awhile before I can get another game.

Hell Yeah

Does the PS3 come with a headset? If not, can you recommend a cheap one

NO sorry can't recommend one don't game much online but i would buy the socom game it has the best headset bundled for 59.99

Are the taxes in Florida (that’s where I’m going) 7% of everything I buy

Sorry there probably is don't know the %

Does anyone know any good router (cheap, cheap, cheap) that works well with the PS3

Sorry i use the one Verizon gave me if u have a modem/router see if it works with the ps3 b4 u buy a router

Good luck on ur purchase

Play Me

BHR-3 said:

Are there bundles at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. (like to get the PS3 with a game or an extra controller for 399 dollars)? These will be my main stores to look for it because they appear to be everywhere in the US

NO 399 will get u a 80g ps3 with one controller there is a 160g ps3 with the game Uncharted great game and a PSN game called PAIN for 499 Gamestop sells used PS3 for 80g wit B/C 450$ 60g wit B/C 430$ 40g wit no B/C 350$ 80g wit no B/C 380$

Do stores like Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. sell cheaper used games?

NO look for Gamestop, EBgames, GameCrazy FYE for used games WM and BB might have older games for 49.99 instead of 59.99 MGS4 is already 49.99 here in Jersey

Do all those stores have PSN cards for sale

NO look for Best Buy, Blockbuster, 7/11, Rite Aid, maybe Wallmart

Does the PS3 come with any demo or PSN game already on the HDD

NO but all demos r free the 160g comes with PAIN

Is there a lot of people still playing Warhawk (like anytime I try I will find hundreds of people playing it)? I really want to play this game. Especially since it’s cheaper now and will give hours and hours of fun, since it will be awhile before I can get another game.

Hell Yeah

Does the PS3 come with a headset? If not, can you recommend a cheap one

NO sorry can't recommend one don't game much online but i would buy the socom game it has the best headset bundled for 59.99

Are the taxes in Florida (that’s where I’m going) 7% of everything I buy

Sorry there probably is don't know the %

Does anyone know any good router (cheap, cheap, cheap) that works well with the PS3

Sorry i use the one Verizon gave me if u have a modem/router see if it works with the ps3 b4 u buy a router

Good luck on ur purchase

Hey, thanks for answering all the questions. Too bad about the bundles, I was hoping to get a free game or dualshock (hehe).

I know that Linksys router works with my kind of modem, so I will probably buy one from them.

Thanks for the list of stores that sell used games. I will look them up.

www.jamesvandermemes.com

check out my threads in my sig

Play Me

Around the Network

Import taxes are just for US$ 500 or more... so most probably your PS3 will pass unspotted... at least that happened to my cousin 

I use a Linksys with my PS3 and never have any problems. I think the sales tax in Florida is 6 - 7%. You will have to pay it on everything you buy.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

haxxiy said:

Import taxes are just for US$ 500 or more... so most probably your PS3 will pass unspotted... at least that happened to my cousin 

Arf? O_O

ANYTHING that our customs suspects to be a purchase made elsewhere because it's cheaper there, will get immediate import fees + a tax increase to make sure it becomes the same price as if you bought it in our country.  The only thing that would cover this, is to hide it as something that can be passed on as a gift (boundaries on what can be considered "gift") or if the item has already been "used", meaning they cannot prove it to be a purchase.

The problem is, 'the only things that would cover this' are actually very easy to do. Plus, he is talking about USA. Not Belgium.

dbot said:
I use a Linksys with my PS3 and never have any problems. I think the sales tax in Florida is 6 - 7%. You will have to pay it on everything you buy.

I was guessing that. This is very diffrent from Brazil where whenver you see a price tag, taxes are already included. In the US, I will have to calculate how much everything I buy with taxes will be.

www.jamesvandermemes.com