By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will all consoles of the future be called some stupid one syllable word?

I think we can all agree that Playstation and Xbox are inherently silly names.

Apparently sillier than the Wii, which is saying something.

Around the Network
jesus kung fu magic said:
scottie said:
Or you could grow up an accept that the world does not revolve around you, and that there is no reason why the Japanese oriented industry should cater to whining Brits like yourself. Infact, Nintendo and Sony should give their products Japanese names that us Westerners find difficult to pronounce - just to spite you for your selfishness

Umm the J man isnt American and how is the industy japanese oriented?

Fixed

Lets see, the top 10 best selling video game consoles (including portables) are made by Japanese companies

19 of the top 20 best selling games are made by Japanese Companies.

So yeah, Japnaese oriented

I hate one syllable names they are silly.

The Ghost of RubangB said:

I for one think it's much more interesting than just adding numbers to the name.  Nintendo and Sega have always had nice original names without resorting to numbers, except for Nintendo64, but that's back when that number was really important.  I'll never understand the 360 name though.  It's an XBox2.

I read somwhere that  MS used xbox 360 instead of xbox2 because the PS3 sounded new because it was the third one and the xbox would of sounded old having a 2 and also sounding as if it was competing with the PS2 so they made it 360 so it would appear to be equal to the PS3.  or something like that so name must be a big thing.

come on guys wii... silly?! how about the Nintendo entertainment system's successor.. the SNES!!!

.. SUPER nintendo entertainment system that was the most unoriginal name yet...

maybe this single syllable thing is good for us!

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Around the Network
legend92(3) said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:

I for one think it's much more interesting than just adding numbers to the name.  Nintendo and Sega have always had nice original names without resorting to numbers, except for Nintendo64, but that's back when that number was really important.  I'll never understand the 360 name though.  It's an XBox2.

I read somwhere that  MS used xbox 360 instead of xbox2 because the PS3 sounded new because it was the third one and the xbox would of sounded old having a 2 and also sounding as if it was competing with the PS2 so they made it 360 so it would appear to be equal to the PS3.  or something like that so name must be a big thing.

I think it would be awesome if they would call their next Xbox Xbox 420.

I'm sure loads of Potheads would go crazy for an Xbox 420. Sounds cool...420...

Money spent on gaming in 2009: €130,00

Nintendo seemed to do OK with Game Boy Advance

and DS

Let's see the names from the big ones since the 3rd gen:

Nintendo: Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)/Nintendo Family Computer (FAMICOM), Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)/Super Family Computer (Super FAMICOM), Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Wii, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, DS

Sega: Master System/Mark III, Genesis/Megadrive, Game Gear, CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast

Sony: Playstation (PS1), Playstation 2 (PS2), Playstation 3 (PS3), Playstation Portable (PSP)

Microsoft: Xbox, Xbox360

Pick your favorites.

Yeah, I do still wish it was Revolution, though Wii has grown on me.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."