By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony fans... is it time for a nice slice of humble pie?

Fellow Sony fans,

I've been a die hard Sony fan for many a year now. I have joined you all buying the gear, anticipating every release, and loving the brand. I have waited beside you, with baited breath for the glorious release of the masterly crafted (yes, for it is 'crafted') Playstation 3. Bought on day one, snatched from the chubby grip of the 'Game' shop assistant.

I played. oh, how i played! a collection of 9 games, bought on release date each. For hours, glued to the screen.

And all that time, watching the numbers on VGC, waiting, patiently, for the world to realise the majesty of the PS3, for the mass market to realise just how amazing this sleek black box is; to turn its back on its rivals and embrace, wholly, as one, the PlayStation3.

But that day never came, and i feel now, it never will...

Always it was: "just wait until...." with successive 'untils' failing to break the market. MGS4, GT5P, Haze, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance 2... all faded in comparison to their rivals, never reaching that peak.

And now, with grim realisation, i feel it coming to an end. Will the PlayStation 3 break its competitors? I feel not. Sony have lost, this time. Microsoft have played an astounding game, have out performed Sony at every turn, even breaking into Japan, and for that i give credit.

Microsoft have developed a console that works, plays great games, has a range of functions, meets the demands of the market and is cheap.

And Nintendo, well, what more can be said? back where they belong, showing the world that games really are for everyone.

I will, of course, stand by my machine in believing it is still the greatest console out there and i am still overjoyed everytime i see the XMB fade in. And i have games, more than i have the time to play, with even more greater ones in the near future. We can no longer rely on the 'Untils', they will be great, but they will never be enough.

I cannot deny the success of Microsoft and the Xbox360, they have truly faught on through and established themselves as the HD console of choice.

And so, i invite you all, to join me in enjoying a slice of humble pie and to modestly congratulate the 360 a battle well faught, and return to our gaming devices each, and enjoy them.

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

Around the Network

NEVER, especially not when the PS3 remains double the price of the 360 and is a year younger then the 360 (that cant change -_-). The Wii though most definitely in terms of sales the winner, saying 360 has anything over PS3 when the gap is less then 10M after being cheaper and released a year before is plain old stupid.

Time will come when the PS3 drops in price and it will be "PS3 is back, gonna destroy the 360 now", then huge games will release for both consoles and well it's just a never ending cycle.

Well, all this beating has been necessary in order for them to get off the high horse and realize getting cocky usually leads to bad things soner or later.

Hopefully, they look back to what made the PS brand a gaming juggernaut for over a decade and try to get those roots back.

I cannot deny the success of Microsoft and the Xbox360, they have truly faught on through and established themselves as the HD console of choice.

Console of choice?

VGChartz data for sales for 2008 to date: Wii 19.8 million, PS3 8.7 million, X360 8.4 million, PS2 6.5 million. Which puts Nintendo at 46% of the console market, Sony at 35% and Microsoft at 19%. Back in 2005, Microsoft had 30% market share.

I see this generation playing out a lot like the last one in terms of ratio. Wii will have a monumental lead. PS3 and 360 will end up being neck and neck.

I'll disagree with your point about Ms having a made a console that works, however. There are a billion reasons to show it doesn't 'work'.

Around the Network

yeah never maybe against the wii but i don't think the fight has ended between ps3 and 360

Play Me

JGarret said:
Well, all this beating has been necessary in order for them to get off the high horse and realize getting cocky usually leads to bad things soner or later.

Hopefully, they look back to what made the PS brand a gaming juggernaut for over a decade and try to get those roots back.

That I have to agree with, Sony was way too cocky with the release of this console to the point where one of the idiots there said the console would sell even with no games. I really dont think it would have made any difference to the quality of games though, PS2 destroyed Gamecube and Xbox and had a powerful lineup. Only good thing which has come out of it is numerous PS3 price drops but even there with a price such as BC going bye bye.

The longer the PS3 doesnt have a price cut, the longer it will be utterly pounded by the 360

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

RPG said:
JGarret said:

That I have to agree with, Sony was way too cocky with the release of this console to the point where one of the idiots there said the console would sell even with no games. I really dont think it would have made any difference to the quality of games though, PS2 destroyed Gamecube and Xbox and had a powerful lineup. Only good thing which has come out of it is numerous PS3 price drops but even there with a price such as BC going bye bye.

QFT. Sony marketing and advertising has much to be desired. it needs to go back to basics. i see TV adverts that fail to show gameplay, that leave people thinking: WTF?

now the 360 adverts are good. have you seen the latest Gears 2 advert? nice calm music, glorious cut scene imagery, it doesn't mess around with trying to sell anything but the game. and it works.

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

@Scruff7

I applaud you sir for being a class act. This is what the official thread on the subject should have been. Unfortunately it was more a derogatory flaming thread. Full of jibe and insult for my taste. Here is hoping that other posters take their cue from you, and post in a civil manner. I also hope this thread is not locked, because this is a healthy thread full of win. You want to eat the pie now good for you its like pulling off a adhesive bandage. One quick yank is better then ripping one hair out at a time. For those who do not want to eat the pie just say your not ready yet to throw in the towel, and politely give your reasons.

However I must say I created a thread about exactly where members on these forums would draw the line of defeat. The average point of concession, and for all those claiming it is not time now. Why did you not respond to that thread, and provide a number it had hundreds of views, and was filled with a lot of intelligent commentary. So if you have a number in mind why didn't you share it then and there. The only rational reason is that you are afraid to, and you will never concede until it gets ludicrous. Anyway if you have a specific margin you will adhere to then by all means give me the number. I would prefer a sample greater then five.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=50617