By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why won't Ps3:s AAA games sell like Xbox 360:s?

Lots of people buy the PS3 for its Bluray player and not for gaming, its the best player out there so why not. While the 360 is a gaming console first, so its going to sell more games obviously.

My favorite games for this gen:

1. Gears of War    2. MGS4    3. Killzone 2   4. Halo 3(Underated by many)      5. Mass Effect

Around the Network

The 360 got the right gamers early. When it released first, it guaranteed it self the hard core gamers that buy multiple games a year. Even when its user base was small, the 360 still sold tons of games.
A lot of people were tired of waiting for the PS3.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

"Ninja Gaiden did bad."

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=7709&region=All

810k. Do some research before you make those kinds of assumptions.

As for Gears 1 doing so well because Epic made it, no. That is not valid, because their other games don't sell multiplatinum. It was marketing. You saw ads of Gears for weeks.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
"Ninja Gaiden did bad."

As for Gears 1 doing so well because Epic made it, no. That is not valid, because their other games don't sell multiplatinum. It was marketing. You saw ads of Gears for weeks.

Gears1 did well because it was an amazing game and at the time there wasn't much else to play on the 360, it was the game to have.

Its still an awsome game now, you can advertise the hell out of crap but it still won't sell.

My favorite games for this gen:

1. Gears of War    2. MGS4    3. Killzone 2   4. Halo 3(Underated by many)      5. Mass Effect

SolidSnitch said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"Ninja Gaiden did bad."

Gears1 did well because the game was an amazing game and at the time there wasn't much else to play on the 360, it was the game to have.

Its still an awsome game now, you can advertise the hell out of crap but it still won't sell.

1. I didn't claim the game wasn't that good. I just claimed its good sales were due to good marketing.

2. Not always, but marketing can sell crap. Heard of 50 Cent Bulletproof? Marketing and brand name sold it.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

My current guess:

Humans strive for social acceptance and would rather play what's "hot" or going to be hot so they can talk with their friends about how awesome it is, similar to people's desire to see the newest movies the day they come out. So if the majority of gamers play CoD you'll also want to play CoD, now what happens when the vast majority of gamers own a different system than you? The hot games you're able to play are multiplatform, while 1st party exclusives especially those not part of a successful series will be almost totally ignored. Expect this trend to continue to KZ2 even if it turns out to be the best shooter ever made.

Three reasons:

1. Sony itself is insane and their ads are constantly proving this

2. Sony's games are niche, no one wants them. It's hillarious thing that multiplatform games often sells better than their own exclusives on this system.

3. Their gaming system IS bd-player

PS3 does not have the install base of PS3. PS3 games are priced higher than X360 games in most regions due to being on a Blu-Ray game disc. 100% of PS3's are not purchased solely for gaming unlike X360 and Wii consoles. X360 and Wii have higher games per console attach rates than PS3. The gap is widening over time. Sony's advertising of games are abyssmal.

"Show us some footage of the actual game not some BS Sony propaganda".

PS3's "AAA" titles are simply not as big as the X360's. People seem to put Resistance up against Gears Of War, and it's ridiculous. If both were 360 exclusives, Gears would still smoke Resistance in sales. GeoW at one point had over a 40% attach rate - it managed 4 million sales when the 360 userbase was only 10 million strong. A game cannot pull this stunt off just from good marketing.

The problem with Sony's games is they aren't very mainstream, or standout much from the crowd. I think Resistance and Motorstorm only did well because they didn't have much competition, and now that the real games are out (CoD > Res), their time is up. I'm not debating quality, just general opinion.

Valkyria Chronicles sold "low" for similar reasons other great games like NMH, Zack & Wiki, and Tales of Vesperia did. Niche Japanese games don't tend to sell all that much, no matter how high its metacritic score might be.

LBP is the exception, and I think it's doing fine. The game was never supposed to be frontloaded (like all of Sony's games). The 360 gamers' tastes probably just share more in common with each other than the PS3 buyers - it probably helps how ~70% of its userbase is from the UK/US (english speaking).

c0rd said:

Resistance and Motorstorm only did well because they didn't have much competition

THIS. And also they were bundled like Hell, that's the only way nowadays for Sony to do some sales.