By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii60 Advice Needed: Christmas Present for my Ex-Gamer Father

The title pretty much says it all, here. I'd like to give my father a video game that he could have fun with. This is something fairly important between him and me, actually: all of my gaming habits are owed to him, and he actually owned an Atari back in the day (I don't know which one) before getting an NES the Christmas before I was born. He stuck with games up through the N64 generation. The last game he seriously beat was Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, and he got something like 60% of the way through Turok 2 before having to call it quits.

He has the potential to play almost anything, but as an ex-gamer his core reflexes are shot. I don't know how well he would be able to play Turok if he picked it up today.

The idea that he's not participating in these times is kind of distressing to me, because I honestly believe that now is the best time so far to be a gamer, and I'd like to help nudge him back into the groove.

Here are the facts as you need to know them:

1. He used to be a "core" gamer but I would not call him that anymore. He doesn't like Halo.

2. He's a farmer and only has very few minutes on the average day where he can chill out and play a game. On the weekends and around holidays it's better, but a game where he doesn't have to invest a lot of time to get some decent returns would be ideal.

3. He's gotten more easily frustrated as time has gone on, so a "super hardcore omg" game is not the order of the day here. Maybe next year if he somehow gets back into gaming in a big way and his skills are back up to par, but for right now I want something relatively easy-going.

4. He likes swordplay, guns, and explosions. He does not like "boring" games. He likes games that are "cool". He doesn't like Team ICO games but thought Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time was pretty awesome when he watched me play it.

5. My brother owns both a 360 and a Wii, so he has access to both of those systems.

So that's it. I need a recommendation, because I am at a bit of a loss. I hear that the new Prince of Persia is good for this sort of gamer? Apparently it's very hard to die in it? I was thinking maybe De Blob or Boom Blox but I'm not sure that matches his tastes. He's not "casual", as the vernacular goes, by any means - his skills are just on the wane and his requirements for enjoyment have changed over time.

So, yes! Somebody with a 360, or a Wii, or both: help.

Around the Network

hmm this is tough. I'll throw a few out there without guns, but are quick to pick up and play. I'll see if I can think of some more good games.

Games >> Wii >> Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles

1.27 m
バイオハザード アンブレア・クロニクルズ
Developer: Capcom
Genre: Shooter
Release Dates: 11/15/07
Capcom
11/17/07
Capcom
12/03/07
Capcom
Hits: 39,815

Games >> Wii >> Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection

0.20 m
Developer: FarSight Studios
Genre: Other
Other Versions: PS2, PSP
Release Dates: 02/26/08
Crave Entertainment

Hits: 2,125

Games >> Wii >> Boom Blox

0.59 m
ブーム ブロックス
Developer: Electronic Arts LA
Genre: Puzzle
Release Dates: 05/06/08
Electronic Arts
07/17/08
Electronic Arts
05/09/08
Electronic Arts
Hits: 18,435

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Umbrella Chronicles sounds like a possible winner - assuming what I think it is (a lightgun shooter) is what it actually is. He loves the Hell out of those games.

yea, it is a light gun game. From what I understand it is pretty short, but loads of fun.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Well all right then! That's definitely going in the list of possible titles, then. The question is still open, though, in case anything else comes to light. Like 360 games!

On that note, maybe getting him Link's Crossbow Training would be good, too...

Around the Network

just a question..RE4 Wii-Edition won't work for him?...hmm...it can be kinda hard at times.,.but aiming with the Wiimote makes it so much better...

deathcape said:
just a question..RE4 Wii-Edition won't work for him?...hmm...it can be kinda hard at times.,.but aiming with the Wiimote makes it so much better...

Oh Hell no. My old man would have loved the game about ten years ago, sure, but his hands aren't steady like most core gamers anymore and that game's incessant need for accuracy and lightning reflexes in the QTEs would be anathema to him.

Khuutra said:
deathcape said:

Oh Hell no. My old man would have loved the game about ten years ago, sure, but his hands aren't steady like most core gamers anymore and that game's incessant need for accuracy and lightning reflexes in the QTEs would be anathema to him.

Umbrella Chronichles has some annoying ass QTE's as well, and can be just kind of hard in general.

How exactly waned are his reflexes? I was going to suggest Zelda, but then I remembered that pain in the ass Wagon crap where you have to been increidbly accurate to finish.

Khuutra said:
deathcape said:

If that's a problem for RE4, you should probably steer clear of all light-gun shooters, then. Although Umbrella Chronicles ia ctually both long and forgiving (on Easy, that is). And UC has several QTEs mixed in.

I'll chime in if I come up with another idea.

Umbrella Chronicles is more level-based, as in your character wanders down a train or through a lab and enemies jump out of the shadows at every second and you riddle them with bullets. And it has 2 player co-op.

Link's Crossbow Training is more training-based, where you stand still shoot at targets everywhere. But it does have some levels where you can walk around freely while you shoot, so that it can train newbies into mastering Metroid Prime 3 style FPS controls.

I'd go with Umbrella Chronicles. Or the Prince of Persia remake on the Wii. I think all they updated was the controls so it should be easy for him to play.