By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why Wii still sale like hot cake??

BoleroOfFire said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Wii's ability to print money is the only thing Keeping the economy from sliding into a depression :P ;)

But if the Wii prints money, isn't it increasing inflation thus making the economy worse?  Oh no, we need to get the word out!  Tell people to stop buying Wii's and to just go for the hot cakes!  They're just as good and won't ruin the economy.   

Given how both the Wii and the DS are such awesome earners, I do wonder how big will Nintendo's warchest get. How much money did the add to the pile this year?

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network

^^Enough to fill several pools and swim in the money like Scrooge McDuck. Wait a minute...some of that's my money! I demand a dip in the pool!

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

Actually inflation would be a good thing at the moment, the concern right now is deflation

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

because people dont buy a console just because its cheaper.

Because nobody wants to be a loser

Around the Network
bardicverse said:
hsrob said:
bardicverse said:
SeeVuPlay said:

Most wii Owners I know do not play games on it anymore. This appears to be pretty consistent across gaming forums as well. Beyond WiiSports and Wii Play, they dont buy anything else. I have a 360 and a Wii.....if someone wanted to trade a PS3 for the Wii, I would gladly do it. It's just not fun.

From what I have seen, a non-gamer gets introduced to the Wii, the gaming system theyve been hearing so much about. They think "this is really cool! I mimic bowling and my character actually does the bowling!" then that person buys one and introduces his new toy to another non-gamer type, and it goes on and on. For most of them, after 2 weeks, the Wii sits and collects dust, while millions more are being sold.

It caught on like wildfire!

Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest against posting statements like this, as they've been debunked on this site. Should you like to enjoy your time here, you're going to need more logic than the "the people I know" proof to your statements. While it works on sites like gamespot, it doesn't fly here.

Of the 39 million Wii owners, how many do YOU know? There is a reason humans invented maths and science, personal experience doesn't count for shit.

Umm .. you responded to the wrong post, you and I are agreeing on the same thing against SeeVu's post

Yeah sorry, i realised that after the fact, and I was feeling too lazy to change it.  I knew you'd know who it was directed at;)

I am 100% sure that if there was no new software made for the Wii for the rest of it's lifetime, it would still sell like hotcakes and beat the PS3 and 360.

My wii is gathering dust....but that could be from me never cleaning the top >_>
I think all has been explained by a few post why the wii is selling like it has hidden drugs in it...

Former something....

bardicverse said:
Its about quality. People are learning that the 360 Arcade has the old processor chipsets, which were prone to overheating. Its sort of Microsoft's "fire sale", no pun intended.

The Wii on the other hand, has few if any hardware issues, and a lot of the general population only looks to get games/systems around the holidays. With Wii Fit, Mario Kart, SSBB and others available for this year, it gives those people games they really would like to try.

Also, the other part is that the Wii is in stock, as opposed to last holiday season. These people might not have been looking pre-holiday season, and are now able to fulfill the requests for Wii systems.

Most people who want 360 systems want Elite versions and won't settle for arcade versions, which are still more expensive than the Wii.

Lolz thats why the Arcades have brand new MOBO's with 256 MB of memory built in.

Long Live SHIO!

Wii has an advantage over the other consoles that is not effected by price.

First you have to understand that the hardware side of the gaming industry as a whole tends to exist in a state of differentiated Oligopoly/monopolistic competition, depending on how wide a net you use to define gaming hardware. However the key to this is the issue of vertical and horizontal differentiation.

Now in terms of vertical differentiation, basically the issue of which is superior to another, depends on the individual consumer, Wii's innovative control and inhouse software allows it to be viewed as superior to some over the PS3 and 360, while otehrs prefer the HD console, while others refer the PC, or handheld/mobile gaming, what have you. Taht is not as important however to this discussion as horizontal differentiation, which isn't an issue of superiority, but rather substitutability, can one replace the other and give the same results. Unlike the HD consoles which can easily replace one another, and even be replaced by the PC, the Wii cannot be easily replaced in what it offers, while the HD consoles have weak horizontal differentiation, they can be easily replaced, menaing price matters and has an effect. Wii has strong Horizontal differentiation, meaning it cannot be easily replaced and therefore is not effected by price as much

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)