By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why Wii still sale like hot cake??

ohnoez!! marketing!! becuz NOBODY plays their wiis..just buy it and then leave it alone!!

I guess ALL staff at Nintendo must be playing games, since Nintendo channel registers ALOT of gameplay hours!!

OH!! I NOEZ!!!

dey don't need all teasm to work on games like WiiMusic..just 2 pplz!! Miyamoto and compozarz!!

OOOH me SOOOOOO smart nao! [/PS360 fanboys]

Around the Network
Diomedes1976 said:
The Wii is fresh and different on the eyes of the mass market.Later they buy the console and are unhappy (few and crap games ,it doesnt track your movements ,etc) but while the machine keeps attracting people with its marketing and those people buying their lot (Wii Fit,Sports,Play for the wiimote,some Wii music,Mario Kart Wii) the hardware and those selected games will keep selling .

If that were true, there would be loads of people selling their unwanted Wiis which would then slow the demand for new Wiis making it stop selling so good because there's tons of used Wiis available.

Signature goes here!

It cracks me up to see all these explanations (excuses) people give for the success of the Wii.
-People are duped by massive marketing (I’ve never seen it)
-It’s a fad, it’s the novelty (works on $3 hula hoops, not so well at $250)
-People get bored with them and never play (where’s all those millions of used ones for sale)
-Wii owners don’t use them, they gather dust (check software sales)
-It’s for newbies who don’t know any better (The Wii is my 8th and favorite console)
-All you do is waggle the control (Go online and race some and tell me how well you did just waggling a controller)
-It’s supposed to make you more active (It does and that’s a good thing)
-It’s just about price (Well that’s pretty well down the tubes now)
-Just Nintendo games are good, all the rest is shovelware (Unfortunately that used to be too close to the truth but times are changing fast, three recent Wii versions of games out scored the HD versions and others are damn close)

HERE’S ONE YOU MISSED – WE ACTUALLY PREFER THE WII, THAT’S IT. WE’RE NOT STUPID. WE’VE PLAYED OTHER MACHINES. TO US IT’S A LOT MORE FUN.

Grampy said:
HERE’S ONE YOU MISSED – WE ACTUALLY PREFER THE WII, THAT’S IT. WE’RE NOT STUPID. WE’VE PLAYED OTHER MACHINES. TO US IT’S A LOT MORE FUN.

Fun. That's the key, I think.

Why does a game have to be fun? Couldn't it be a serious experience instead? Like Metal Gear Solid? Or Gears of War? How can one make do with just fun? Don't you also need that sense of accomplishment? - these are the questions running through the heads of any person that does not understand how the Wii can be popular. What they percieve as quality does not really have anything to do with fun, but other values.

But really. Why do you think non-gamers have been non-gamers? I'm going to give you the simple answer. It didn't look fun.

The Wii's entire image is as a machine to have fun with. Look at the early commercials. What do you see? Smiling people! Waving their arms around and having fun! Take a look at the new PS3 commercials. What do you see? Bored people, amazed people, serious people. Anyone smiling? No.

I believe that in this very simple concept lies the entire success of Nintendo's machine. They made gaming fun. Just as Guitar Hero and Singstar did.

This is invisible text!

Grampy said:
It cracks me up to see all these explanations (excuses) people give for the success of the Wii.
-People are duped by massive marketing (I’ve never seen it)
-It’s a fad, it’s the novelty (works on $3 hula hoops, not so well at $250)
-People get bored with them and never play (where’s all those millions of used ones for sale)
-Wii owners don’t use them, they gather dust (check software sales)
-It’s for newbies who don’t know any better (The Wii is my 8th and favorite console)
-All you do is waggle the control (Go online and race some and tell me how well you did just waggling a controller)
-It’s supposed to make you more active (It does and that’s a good thing)
-It’s just about price (Well that’s pretty well down the tubes now)
-Just Nintendo games are good, all the rest is shovelware (Unfortunately that used to be too close to the truth but times are changing fast, three recent Wii versions of games out scored the HD versions and others are damn close)

in addition to this, if actual wii owners (that happen to be sour about the wii) make this claim, they clearly have not seen the 'nintendo channel' which compiles total play times and play sessions and a few other things for everybody (who has accepted to send online data to nintendo).. those are proof, if nothing else, that wiis don't generally sit around getting dusty (despite the laws of physics, the wii, much like the other popular consoles has a supersonic pulse which expels dust from its atmosphere if played on a regular basis)

@killergran - thats a really good point about the difference in the overall 'mood' of the commericals

Around the Network

to the anti wii fanboys:

maybe I prefer the Wii to any of the other systems out right now (minus the ds) due to its immersion, its games, and controls.

Maybe I've been gaming for 20 years, and hate the implication that only "noobs" play on it, because that simply is not true.

stop trying to act so damn snobby and fanboyish, like everyone that got a wii is either an old lady or a small child, or in some way duped into it. that is utter BS and you know it.....

you guys crutch onto one excuse like:

"its cheaper, thats why it sells"

but the 360 arcade now disproves that, so you find another one to cling to:

"uhhhh people buy it because they don't know any better...."

I am getting tired of this idiocy, stop being bitter because the hardcorez is not winning out, and get over it.

There are two simple answers.

1. non gamers buying for wii sports and mainly wiifit. Heck my parents hate and despise video games and they bought a wii and wiifit on ebay for 100 dollars more like a couple months ago.

2. for gamers - if you don't have a wii and look at the library there are plenty of great games to buy for it. sure for people that like to buy a game like every couple weeks and are always complaining about the wii has no games and is collecting dust. Well who gives a shit, you already have a wii. It is worth the 250 dollars. It has at least 10 great games for it.

So there ya have it, gamers who don't have it see a big enough library to justify 250 dollars and grownups who don't like video games are buying it for wiifit, ect.

Fun , Innovation and Making Gaming Mainstream, that's my answer.

Wii's ability to print money is the only thing Keeping the economy from sliding into a depression :P ;)

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Killergran said:
Grampy said:

Fun. That's the key, I think.

Why does a game have to be fun? Couldn't it be a serious experience instead? Like Metal Gear Solid? Or Gears of War? How can one make do with just fun? Don't you also need that sense of accomplishment? - these are the questions running through the heads of any person that does not understand how the Wii can be popular. What they percieve as quality does not really have anything to do with fun, but other values.

But really. Why do you think non-gamers have been non-gamers? I'm going to give you the simple answer. It didn't look fun.

The Wii's entire image is as a machine to have fun with. Look at the early commercials. What do you see? Smiling people! Waving their arms around and having fun! Take a look at the new PS3 commercials. What do you see? Bored people, amazed people, serious people. Anyone smiling? No.

I believe that in this very simple concept lies the entire success of Nintendo's machine. They made gaming fun. Just as Guitar Hero and Singstar did.

Exactly! If I am looking for a "serious" experience the last place I would look would be in a video GAME. Same for movies.

If I want a real serious experience I try RL. If I want to learn, be intrigued or expand my horizons I read a book. I think that hyper realistic video games really leave very little room for imagination because everything, except smell, is provided for you. That's why I consider them strictly recreational. Which is not a criticism because recreation is important. And what makes anything recreational for me is FUN!