By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why Wii still sale like hot cake??

...because it goes great with some butter and maple syrup. Mmmm mmmm, that's good!

I'll come up with something better eventually...

Around the Network
Ender said:
BengaBenga said:
Why is the ipod the most sold mp3 player?
It's not the cheapest and not the most powerfull.

This is the perfect answer. 

The Wii has a great simple design and it's captured the imagination of the general public.

That and it's the most recommended by the media, peers etc.  Go check out any guys gift guide for christmas.  I have yet to find one that recommends a 360 or PS3 but they all seem to recommend the Wii.  For a sort of nefarious reason as well.  I've seen things where it says: "While he's away at work, you and your girl friends can play many of the great games made for you and your family".  You'll find other things like "get the system for the husband, buy the games for the kids, enjoy the gift that gives back to you".

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

bardicverse said:
Its about quality. People are learning that the 360 Arcade has the old processor chipsets, which were prone to overheating. Its sort of Microsoft's "fire sale", no pun intended.

The Wii on the other hand, has few if any hardware issues, and a lot of the general population only looks to get games/systems around the holidays. With Wii Fit, Mario Kart, SSBB and others available for this year, it gives those people games they really would like to try.

Also, the other part is that the Wii is in stock, as opposed to last holiday season. These people might not have been looking pre-holiday season, and are now able to fulfill the requests for Wii systems.

Most people who want 360 systems want Elite versions and won't settle for arcade versions, which are still more expensive than the Wii.

Do you really think they averge costomer knows this?

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

I don't know why it is so hard to get people to understand just how much some of hate the GD analog controller. The learning curve to too steep. I don't have the time to master games with it. Also I don't care for super high resolution murder and mayhem, I've seen enough violent death in my life that I don't consider it recreational.

Anyone can play the Wii even my wife who hasn't touched a video game since the Atari 2600. Its the one console that tends to bring families together not to have one person isolate themselves. The games are designed so that even an unskilled player, inexperienced or very young, can do well enough to not be frustrated. That is the reason for the shells the go after the leader in Mario Kart. It adds enough element of chance that the best player will win over all but he won't win EVERY time.

It gets you off your butt and involved. To me it feels a lot more like I'm a participant rather than moving puppets around on the screen using little sticks and buttons.

I've been an active gamer since pong and I've never had as much just plain fun. I can pick up most games and play them for 15-20 minutes during a break from writing and come away having had a lot of fun. With some of the HD games I might have spent those 15 minutes just getting back into a complex story or watching a GD cut scene.

I think the PS360 is great for young males that have hours and hours to dedicate and the reflexes to play GTA. I don't. I have no desire to. I just want recreation.

Cost is a total non-factor. Even the PS3 is chump change. If I wanted one i would buy it. I own and play regularly on the Wii because of choice. If the PS3 went on sale for a $1.98, they would sell a lot, but they still wouldn't sell one to me.

1) Wii has more casual games, and the casual market is growing FAST
2) Advertising
3) HDTV to SDTV ratio
4) Starting momentum is easier to keep than gaining momentum from a low point (Grammarfail, shush)
5) Wii is easy to pick up and play
6) Reliability on how well the system works

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)

Around the Network

It's because of tight supply. People are only buying it because it's hard for them to buy it.

It makes perfect sense.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

coasterlove said:
...because it goes great with some butter and maple syrup. Mmmm mmmm, that's good!

That's exactly why Nintendo included a Syrup Dispenser (SD) slot on the Wii.

bardicverse said:
Its about quality. People are learning that the 360 Arcade has the old processor chipsets, which were prone to overheating. Its sort of Microsoft's "fire sale", no pun intended.

The Wii on the other hand, has few if any hardware issues, and a lot of the general population only looks to get games/systems around the holidays. With Wii Fit, Mario Kart, SSBB and others available for this year, it gives those people games they really would like to try.

Also, the other part is that the Wii is in stock, as opposed to last holiday season. These people might not have been looking pre-holiday season, and are now able to fulfill the requests for Wii systems.

Most people who want 360 systems want Elite versions and won't settle for arcade versions, which are still more expensive than the Wii.

I wasn't even aware of this and i own a 360 and visit VGChartz everyday.  How is the average person going to know that?  And even if the Pro was cheaper than Wii, 360 would still get outsold by a wide margin so that is clearly not the reason.

EDIT: Actually the Pro is cheaper than the Wii (at least it is in the UK). 

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

famousringo said:
It's because of tight supply. People are only buying it because it's hard for them to buy it.

It makes perfect sense.

No, no!  It's because people ar stupad!   they dont know that motorstorm is more fun than mario kart

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

tuoyo said:
bardicverse said:

I wasn't even aware of this and i own a 360 and visit VGChartz everyday.  How is the average person going to know that?  And even if the Pro was cheaper than Wii, 360 would still get outsold by a wide margin so that is clearly not the reason.

Maybe it's because of the momentum of the Wii, or because with the economy people are not really going to buy hi def tv's if they don't have...

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)