By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network
FJ-Warez said:

How old are you? :P

Edit: Twelve? 

Does it matter what age I am?

No Im not 12 my language is to advanced for me to be a simple minded 12 year old like soriku, lol j/k

mM

Yes it does. Im trying to figure out your perception of the world... and the "teenager way" fits you, not trying to ofends you, but you definitely believes a lot in the Sony PR words. The console simply wont last10 years, I think you are the only one around here who firmly believes it will...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

I'm starting to believe that there is a lot of people who simply do not understand Nintendo's strategy or motivations when they designed the Nintendo DS and Wii ... At the same time, I think there is a massive lack of understanding why the Wii and Nintendo DS are successful from Microsoft and Sony fans because they're outsiders looking in.

When the Wii and Nintendo DS were being dreamed up Nintendo would have been aware that these platforms were radical departures from the conventional design decisions and they would be difficult to sell; it would be difficult to sell the concept to third parties (in particular if they involved similar development costs to their competition) and difficult to sell to consumers (in particular if their price was similar to their competition). On top of all of this they would have been worred about the potential of releasing another virtual boy and would have wanted to keep the research and development costs of the systems down as well, and would be unwilling to take any losses on the hardware.

By taking the Gamecube and increasing its processing power they were able to manage all of their concerns; the hardware is inexpensive to produce and develop software for, and the research and development costs on the Gamecube had already been paid so minor modifications to the hardware would not be too costly.

The Wii is so successful because it is inexpensive, a major improvement over other consoles (in terms of control) and it is DISTINCT. Creating an "underpowered" system that doesn't add much in the way of new control and seems like a carbon copy of a more popular system will be a recipe for disaster.

Sony's best approach for the future would be to try to create a product which their competition isn't creating ... With the technological know how they have in Sony they might attempt to create a low cost, light weight, high quality set of sterioscopic glasses to attempt the VR approach; or they could attempt a multi-touch screen on their next generation controller.

Sony has to play to their strenghts and I don't think that anyone's strenght is losing money ...

leo-j said:
They are making money on the software, as they release more titles to the psn they make more money, and as they sel more games they make more money.

Well honestly it will take quite a while before they will make a profit on the PS3, if ever. They need to sell ALOT of blu-ray movies before they get any sort of money back from this investment. Microsoft forced their hand by releasing the 360 only 4 years after the original XBOX. This threw Sony off, and they had to sell the PS3 at $600, which was way higher than they wanted. Unfortunately, Blu-ray tech was still very early in its infancy, so they ended up with huge hardware costs.
HappySqurriel said:

I'm starting to believe that there is a lot of people who simply do not understand Nintendo's strategy or motivations when they designed the Nintendo DS and Wii ... At the same time, I think there is a massive lack of understanding why the Wii and Nintendo DS are successful from Microsoft and Sony fans because they're outsiders looking in.

When the Wii and Nintendo DS were being dreamed up Nintendo would have been aware that these platforms were radical departures from the conventional design decisions and they would be difficult to sell; it would be difficult to sell the concept to third parties (in particular if they involved similar development costs to their competition) and difficult to sell to consumers (in particular if their price was similar to their competition). On top of all of this they would have been worred about the potential of releasing another virtual boy and would have wanted to keep the research and development costs of the systems down as well, and would be unwilling to take any losses on the hardware.

By taking the Gamecube and increasing its processing power they were able to manage all of their concerns; the hardware is inexpensive to produce and develop software for, and the research and development costs on the Gamecube had already been paid so minor modifications to the hardware would not be too costly.

The Wii is so successful because it is inexpensive, a major improvement over other consoles (in terms of control) and it is DISTINCT. Creating an "underpowered" system that doesn't add much in the way of new control and seems like a carbon copy of a more popular system will be a recipe for disaster.

Sony's best approach for the future would be to try to create a product which their competition isn't creating ... With the technological know how they have in Sony they might attempt to create a low cost, light weight, high quality set of sterioscopic glasses to attempt the VR approach; or they could attempt a multi-touch screen on their next generation controller.

Sony has to play to their strenghts and I don't think that anyone's strenght is losing money ...

Sony's strength is technological know-how. They could have EASILY made the Wii, technically, but nobody at Sony had a very innovative mind. They have an engineer's mindset. Make things faster, more powerful, with cutting-edge Blu-ray technology, etc.

I agree with you. Sony will have to come up with some way to out-do Nintendo. This can only be good for the industry and consumers, and it's excitin'!

Around the Network
FJ-Warez said:

Yes it does. Im trying to figure out your perception of the world... and the "teenager way" fits you, not trying to ofends you, but you definitely believes a lot in the Sony PR words. The console simply wont last10 years, I think you are the only one around here who firmly believes it will...

They have been saying it over and over its a 10 year system, why do you believe it will fail?

mM
leo-j said:
FJ-Warez said:

They have been saying it over and over its a 10 year system, why do you believe it will fail?

The reason no one believes Sony's PR when they claim that it is a 10 year system is because hardware enginnering doesn't determine the shelf life of a game console; a systems lifespan is mainly determined by sales because it will survive as long as it sells well enough to contine seeing strong third party support.

How many financial statements will CEOs state "Our revenue and profit projections have/will not (be) met this year's projections because PS3 and XBox 360 development costs were higher than expected, PS3 and XBox 360 hardware sales were lower than expected, and we failed to anticipate the popularity of the Wii" before they completely abandon the XBox 360 and PS3? The ugly truth to business is that a CEO really only cares about the stock price because he will only keep his job if the stock value continues to increase; the stock value will only increase as their profits increase or (more often) if the investors believe that profits will increase under his leadership. CEO's will not lose their well paying job with massive benefits for Sony to have a "10 year system".

leo-j said:
FJ-Warez said:

Has Sony's PR been right so far this gen? Ok, ever? They blew the PS2 way out of proportion (as far as power) just like they did with the PS3. None of their lofty predictions about the PS3 have turned out to be true so far. I'm not saying PS3 is a crap console, just that you can't just believe everything the sony PR (Propoganda Reports) say. You have to take any corporation's hype with a grain of salt.

FJ-Warez said:
leo-j said:
There wont be a nex gen for sony, they said that ps3 will probably be there main console from here on out

Believe me, the PS3 wont last 10 years...

Are you from the future?  How can you say for sure that it won't be here for 10 years?  The PS2 has been out now for 8 years, and is still going strong.   I think it will easily last the full 10 years, possibly a couple more after that.  However around year 7 or 8 they will bring out the next Playstation and have it sell just as they are now with the PS3 and PS2.  

And leo, they will have a "next gen" for sony.  Sure, the PS3 is a beast, but we don't even know for certain what the technology will be like in 5 or 10 years.  When it comes to electronics it has been advancing at a very rapid rate, and there will be new technologies out that will trump even the ever powerful PS3. 

Unless of course you think that the world will end before they can release the next Playstation.  And if you do, I hope you're wrong. ;)

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

jjseth said:
FJ-Warez said:
leo-j said:
There wont be a nex gen for sony, they said that ps3 will probably be there main console from here on out

Believe me, the PS3 wont last 10 years...

Are you from the future?  How can you say for sure that it won't be here for 10 years?  The PS2 has been out now for 8 years, and is still going strong.   I think it will easily last the full 10 years, possibly a couple more after that.  However around year 7 or 8 they will bring out the next Playstation and have it sell just as they are now with the PS3 and PS2.  

And leo, they will have a "next gen" for sony.  Sure, the PS3 is a beast, but we don't even know for certain what the technology will be like in 5 or 10 years.  When it comes to electronics it has been advancing at a very rapid rate, and there will be new technologies out that will trump even the ever powerful PS3. 

Unless of course you think that the world will end before they can release the next Playstation.  And if you do, I hope you're wrong. ;)

Its just a matter of "if", if the ps3 hits the limit that graphics can go which I extreemly doubt it would be sony's last console, and they will just work on the physics, the ps2 wasnt meant for 10years it was meant for 5 years. Again anything cant happen you cant predict the future.

mM