By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - omg! nintendo world report is a screwup!

So here I am sitting on the fence wether to purchase sonic unleashed or not( I will now), so i toggle down to trust ole metacritic.. the game seems to have fairly good reviews on the wii so i decide to check the not so good ones and clearly im not surprised:

Nintendo world report gave sonic a 4.0(not an average) apparently..

and here is the individual scoring :

Graphics: 9.0

Besides the overabundant load times, Sonic Unleashed runs fast and looks great.

Sound: 7.0

The only bright side with the music is that it doesn't include any cheesy lyrics. However, the music now just employs a repetitive generic score. The sound effects are typical for the Sonic series.

Control: 6.0

When you play as Sonic the Hedgehog, the controls are good. When you play as Sonic the Werehog, the controls just boil down into a terrible waggle-fest.

Gameplay: 5.0

The Hedgehog levels are intricately laid out with branching paths and many secrets. The Werehog levels are very straightforward and boring.

Lastability: 6.0

There are numerous side missions, but very few of them are interesting. Other than that, once the main story ends, all you can do is replay the levels you already played to get better scores.

Now there is no way a game that scores 5.0 on gameplay( I take that as the bare minimum for a score) and above that on every other parameter (lastability, control 6.0) can score 4.0 overall.. I meant it doesnt make sense.. Its like me giving valkyria a 9.0 for everything and then giving it a 6.0 as the final score.. doesnt make any F$#@ing sense..

so any more screwed up reviews based on biased donkeys for reviewers? im not familiar with NWR so im guessing its a bunch of wankers who get off on coupon codes

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/reviewArt.cfm?artid=17273&page=2

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Around the Network

I'll help you out here.

If a review has a number, ignore it. Don't be lazy, read what they say the game does well and what it doesnt, and make your own decision

Journalists know words, they dont know numbers hence who gives a shit. Its obviously bad enough for him to completely ignore logic and numerical accuracy.

Now what happened when GTA4 was being reviewed?

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

well thats the point the reviewer has no clue wht he thinks of the game at one hand he likes the graphics, loves the day scenes and on the other hand complains of load times and a dumb storyline? a dumb storyline? in a sonic game, has the story ever evolved beyond chaos emeralds?..

The 4.0 final score seems very arbit to me. Meta critic doesnt exactly give you a word to word review and just an avg score so yea, the final score does seek some merit

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

Honestly, if was a journalist working in games i would kill my self on alcohol and drugs. Its probably like chocolate, after the 50th Babiez sequel review its all a bit depressing and samey

Why dont u ask him? Theres almost always an email contact for the editor or writier

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

yeah.
Doesn't make much sense to me either, arsenicazure

but i'll try give them the benifit of the doubt (only God knows why though)

The overall score is generally not an average which leads me to conclude from this that although the main points they could score for were all over 4, overall they just didn't mesh into something that they could give a higher score for.
I.E. the 4 is a result of the sum of it's (good) parts not adding up to a decent package i suppose.

Unless, of course they cocked it up.
Not that I think the game deserves a 4, I just think thats how they might have come to that conclusion.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Neal Ronaghan

Staff News Writer
Systems Owned

Chronologically

* Sega Genesis
* Game Boy
* Game Gear
* NES
* Nintendo 64
* Playstation
* Game Boy Advance
* Gamecube
* Dreamcast
* Super Nintendo
* Playstation 2
* DS Phat
* Xbox 360
* Wii

Currently Playing

* Rock Band 2 (360)
* Sonic Unleashed (Wii)
* Quantum of Solace (DS)
* Crash: Mind Over Mutant (DS)
* Left 4 Dead
* Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe (360)

Favorite Games of All Time

* Super Mario RPG
* Super Metroid
* Kirby Superstar
* Chrono Trigger
* Final Fantasy VI
* Super Mario Bros 3
* Yoshi's Island
* Ninja Gaiden (NES)
* Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
* Sonic the Hedgehog 2
* Mario Kart Series
* Legend of Zelda Series
* Super Smash Bros Series
* Viewtiful Joe
* Rock Band

Games Most Desired

* Punch-Out!!
* Chrono Trigger DS
* Captain Rainbow
* Ghostbusters
* MAD WORLD
* The Conduit
* Prince of Persia
* Tecmo Bowl Wii
* A Mirror's Edge Sequel
* Rare's Next Game
* Pikmin 3
* Next Mario, Zelda, or Metroid Games

Favorite Developer

Nintendo and Harmonix
Favorite Movies

Kevin Smith Films (Woo! Zack and Miri!), Rushmore, Serenity, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Prestige, Orgazmo, Some Like It Hot, Out Cold, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Original Star Wars Trilogy, The Graduate, High Fidelity, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Pineapple Express, Half-Baked, TMNT, X2, The Nines and a whole lot more.
Favorite Music

311, Murder by Death, RX Bandits, Reel Big Fish, Lostprophets, David Bowie, Queen, Rush, Weezer, The Bouncing Souls, mc chris, The Who, Incubus, the Cat Empire, Freezepop, Queens of the Stone Age and a whole lot more.
Favorite Quote

"Lateral Thinking of Withered Technology" Gunpei Yokoi

THis should embarress him plenty, but no email contact, hmm

BTW notice the only Wii game he's playing currently is (wtf) Sonic?

And pay attention Arsenic, Final Score (Not an average): 4.0

@megaman79

again.. i DO know its not an average.. but even if you factor in the lowest possible denominator for score which is GAME PLAY- is 5.0

everything else:>> scores ABOVE 5.0
graphics-9.0
sound 7.0
control 6.0
lastability 6.0

so.. taking all that in a/c how can you give the final score a lower than 5.0 review. If he doesnt like sonic at all.. which is what the reviewer suggests then maybe they should post a reviewers tilt score so that ppl know the guy doesnt like the sonic franchise, like gamespot used to have some years ago.

BY grading the game at 4.0 the reviewer just proved that he doesnt really care what the game is overall he dislikes it and it deserves a 4.0

Reviewers like this piss me off. even worse when sites like meta critic list these scores..

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

@arsenic, dw man, feel comfort knowing this 20 yo Nintendo website game reviewer is currently playing more xbox games than nintendo games