By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu-ray: A 2008 Holiday Hit?

theprof00 said:
Comrade Tovya said:
windbane said:
NintendoMan said:
@ taxman. Norway and Sweden have the right idea then.

Blu Ray only brings better sound/picture. Nothing else. Nothing. DVD's are still fine. And getting one season of a tv show on one disc is only convenient if you are too weak and flabby to change discs. Blu Ray, more like ass ray. I hope it rots in hell. Along with rich people. I also highly doubt any poor people have HDTV's. I had hoped this recession would kill off Blu Ray & HD but alas.

First of all, blu-ray also can't be scratched (unlike DVDs and HD-dvds), and they also have a lot more space.

Secondly, what the hell do you have against rich people?  Are you at a library to get online?  You aren't that poor...

Well, in correction, Blu-rays can be scratched, they have a protective coating and are just harder to scratch in theory (I say in theory, because I haven't tried to scratch one of my $30 Blu-rays to make sure)

As for your second comment, spot on.

Okay, so they can be scratched.. glad I didn't test one of mine out!

Either way, my point was the word "CAN'T" is far fetched.  Nothing is fail proof.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Around the Network

Go HDVD! GO!

Well yeah it can be scratched... by a butcher knife.
Steel wool did nothing to it.

Unbreakable combs are breakable too yaknow.
The feature is that it does not ______ like a normal one would.

The average consumer only cares about small scratches from either leaving discs out or accidentally dropping them etc.

theprof00 said:
Well yeah it can be scratched... by a butcher knife.
Steel wool did nothing to it.

Unbreakable combs are breakable too yaknow.
The feature is that it does not ______ like a normal one would.

The average consumer only cares about small scratches from either leaving discs out or accidentally dropping them etc.

True, but the test was flawed, so it's hard to put much stock in it.

You can scratch a DVD, and it plays too, it just skips at some points in the movie.  His video only showed the PS3's ability to load the disc.  I have DVDs that are so scratched up they look like road maps, and they still play... they just tend to skip at different points in the movie.

I'm not saying the anti-scratch coating isn't good, because it's obviously better than no coating at all.

I was simply correcting the poster earlier who said that Blu-ray discs were "unscratchable".  They aren't obviously.  Better than DVDs?  In all likelihood, yes.  But not indestructable as the poster implied.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

NintendoMan said:
@ taxman. Norway and Sweden have the right idea then.

Blu Ray only brings better sound/picture. Nothing else. Nothing. DVD's are still fine. And getting one season of a tv show on one disc is only convenient if you are too weak and flabby to change discs. Blu Ray, more like ass ray. I hope it rots in hell. Along with rich people. I also highly doubt any poor people have HDTV's. I had hoped this recession would kill off Blu Ray & HD but alas.

Just how you got away with making these posts of yours I'll never know.

I and many others have been publicly warned and some even banned for far less.

Why were you not  even publically cautioned for this kind of thing?

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network

perhaps you should report the post?

He can report it if he likes, but I've been watching NM's posts. He was very close to getting a warning, but I'm one of the more lenient moderators around. I'd prefer to argue with someone over pulling out the authority card.

But, report away if you so desire. That's why the button is there. I definitely agree that his posts were questionable at the very best.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

theprof00 said:
perhaps you should report the post?

I did. Yesterday.

But oh well, can't have everything they always tell me

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

It will ultimately be the movie studios that dictate the future success of the medium, should they cutback their support of DVD it will become a mass market item otherwise there seems to be a large percentage of "DVD looks good enough" quoters and of course the price of Blu-ray movies in comparison is a hard motivator, regardless of how cheap the entry level players are. DVD is the previous generation that just won't die like the PS2.

Hating Blu-Ray because of the early price is completely full of sh*t... I remember the cost of DVD players when the format launched, they were phreaking expensive... Eventually DVD's got cheap and took over the market... It's the hardware cycle, eventually it becomes faster, cheaper and smaller (while software becomes slower, more expensive and larger), new technologies are always gonna cost a lot first, then get cheaper...

And other thing that happens, when the format gets obsolete and discontinued, the price raises, but when it gets old and is still used (Like the DVD, because BR-Players support DVD) it only gets cheaper...

So i support Blu-Ray (or HD-DVD in case that format won), because that format brings us an HD experience, it will become cheaper (HDTVs are already at an affordable price, and BR-players are already selling for less than 200.00), and it will make the DVDs cheaper too, so i get Stand-Up comedy cheaper on DVD, but i also get movies like The Dark Knight Blu-Ray for true HD...