By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What would a "next gen wii" look like?

HappySqurriel said:
The Wii's hardware was (probably) choosen because Nintendo wasn't sure about how successful the Wii would be (save costs by reusing the Gamecube's hardware that was being modified to eventually be a handheld system) and they wanted to keep development costs down.

Nintendo will probably not be as worried about their next system failing, and I suspect that development cost increases will moderate mainly because most of the techniques needed to create games on Next Generation games are already in use on the PS3 and XBox 360 (obviously, in a more limited fashion)..

Nintendo should be able to (easily) produce a system that is 4 times as powerful as the PS3 or XBox 360 by 2009 using a 45nm process and then spend 2 years reducing the (eventual) manufacturing cost while improving the processing power and eventually release a system 8 times as powerful as either system for $200 to $300 in 2011..

The Wiimote will have matured, become far more ergonomic (they won't need to keep its remote control shape to prevent scaring non-gamers) and will probably have more advanced buttons (analogue trigger/buttons and potentially a couple of assemetric buttons in the place of the B button). The nunchuck will continue to have the existing functionality but Nintendo will also give it screen pointing capabilities.

LOL, I love your math, I have no clue how close it will/won't be to true given the nature of computer growth in spurts etc...but I just got this picture of you sitting there in your house thinking "Ok, Start with a Wii, multiply times the processing power of a bag of skittles and subtract out the greens ones...then adjust for improvements to the Snicker's Reality stabalizer and we get about.....8.023x faster...but then they have to fine tune the console to get it under the amendment sony had passed in congress (you know where they strengthened witches magic) and we end up with exactly 8x faster!"...apparently my brain just decided to wander when I started reading your post =P 

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

Unless the some console goes for absolute power again (like PS3) i'm pretty sure that all the next-gen consoles will be around the same graphical ability. I just don't understand why people would say that it will be weaker than 360 and foolishness like that. What kind of logic are they basing that on? People are just being anti-wii instead of being pro-360/pro-ps3. The bad side of fanboyism...

Wii Friend Code: 7356 3455 0732 3498 PM me if you add me

Why does everyone think the wii has to be lower powered next gen too? What logic is there to support this? This is not a trend people, its probably a one time thing. By this logic the PS3 could have never existed because Sony, always having been the graphical underdog or lesser should have not been the top dog graphically this generation by your logic. Seriously, fanboy bullshit, take it too the door.

Sqrl said:
HappySqurriel said:
The Wii's hardware was (probably) choosen because Nintendo wasn't sure about how successful the Wii would be (save costs by reusing the Gamecube's hardware that was being modified to eventually be a handheld system) and they wanted to keep development costs down.

Nintendo will probably not be as worried about their next system failing, and I suspect that development cost increases will moderate mainly because most of the techniques needed to create games on Next Generation games are already in use on the PS3 and XBox 360 (obviously, in a more limited fashion)..

Nintendo should be able to (easily) produce a system that is 4 times as powerful as the PS3 or XBox 360 by 2009 using a 45nm process and then spend 2 years reducing the (eventual) manufacturing cost while improving the processing power and eventually release a system 8 times as powerful as either system for $200 to $300 in 2011..

The Wiimote will have matured, become far more ergonomic (they won't need to keep its remote control shape to prevent scaring non-gamers) and will probably have more advanced buttons (analogue trigger/buttons and potentially a couple of assemetric buttons in the place of the B button). The nunchuck will continue to have the existing functionality but Nintendo will also give it screen pointing capabilities.

LOL, I love your math, I have no clue how close it will/won't be to true given the nature of computer growth in spurts etc...but I just got this picture of you sitting there in your house thinking "Ok, Start with a Wii, multiply times the processing power of a bag of skittles and subtract out the greens ones...then adjust for improvements to the Snicker's Reality stabalizer and we get about.....8.023x faster...but then they have to fine tune the console to get it under the amendment sony had passed in congress (you know where they strengthened witches magic) and we end up with exactly 8x faster!"...apparently my brain just decided to wander when I started reading your post =P 

My numbers were more conceptual than anything else ... I'm not an electrical engineer and in university I never took the courses in microprocessor design so my numbers were not meant to be absolutes; we should be using a manufacturing process in the 30nm range in 2011 which (hypothetically speaking) would enable you to produce an 8-core processor where each core is as complicated as the Cell or Xenos while running your processor at a higher clock speed than either the Cell or Xenos.

I think people misinterpreted what I was saying and thought I was implying that Nintendo would make their system as powerful as was theoritically possible ... I really wasn't. I think the next Wii will be like what the XBox 360 or PS3 would be like if they were produced in 2009 but Nintendo will release it in 2011 after they have reduced the manufacturing cost and taken advantage of the extra processing power which didn't increase the cost of the system.

Edit: I'll change my prediction to be in terms of PC hardware ... The next Wii will be roughly equal to a Geforce 9800GTX SLi PC with the most powerful processor you can buy in Q4 2008.

Warlord_ said:
I would like to say something to all you Nintendo fans that are thinking the next wii will have more power then 360/ps3 have are very misinformed. The current wii is still not as powerful as the oringinal xbox in serveral locations as shaders and lighting. The next wii may come close to this gens consoles but it will not pass them in overall technology.

What exactly is it that makes you think Nintendo's next console can't possibly be as powerful as the Xbox 360 and PS3? The Wii being only a bit more powerful than the last gen consoles is a concious decision, not a result of Nintendo being unable to make powerful hardware. You do realise the GC was much more powerful than the PS2 and the N64 was the most powerful machine of its generation, right?

They'll probably stay smart and avoid making an utterly unaffordable machine next gen either, but building a console slightly above the power of the current HD consoles won't be all that expensive in 2011, or whenever the next Nintendo platform comes out. 

Around the Network

During an interview with kotaku, Miyamoto said something interesting at the very end of the session and his translater forgot to translate it because he was too busy translating other things Miyamoto said.

What Miyamoto said was that they could quite easily make Wii compatible with High-Definition now but they probably won't until HDTV gets more popular among households. So Wii2 with High Definition is highly possible.

But generally speaking, the "more power, more faster" approach is definitely not the direction Nintendo is going to take. The president of Nintendo, Iwata, is pretty clear about this saying that this traditional business model centered around the greater power of console got "no future". He's pretty determined about it.

What he's basically saying is that Nintendo will not prioritize the "more power" strategy even though we'll see some hardware upgrades in the next console. Instead, the company will focus more on other innovations to find other "blue oceans" (cf. blue ocean strategy) because they are well aware of the fact that other companies will try to capture the emerging casual market with new intuitive interfaces, and thus will turn the current ocean into red pretty soon.

Bottom line is the next Wii won't be another XBOX360/PS3 with motion sensing controles. It's most likely going to be a surprise, or at least that's what they are going for.

No, it's not going to stop  'Til you wise up
No, it's not going to stop  So just ... give up
- Aimee Mann

I think Nintendo will follow what they did this gen by making a console for $200 and pricing it for $250. So whatever Nintendo can make at those prices will be the smart move.

But the wii is better then the xbox is some stuff but not others, i think this maybe what they do next gen. Sure the wii2 can do some stuff better but not everything. Plus the GC and 64 came out about 1 year after the Sony consoles which allowed them to make a better console.

Warlord_ said:
I think Nintendo will follow what they did this gen by making a console for $200 and pricing it for $250. So whatever Nintendo can make at those prices will be the smart move.

But the wii is better then the xbox is some stuff but not others, i think this maybe what they do next gen. Sure the wii2 can do some stuff better but not everything. Plus the GC and 64 came out about 1 year after the Sony consoles which allowed them to make a better console.

That's actually a good point. Nintendo has said they believe a console should exist within the $200 range. Though we'll probably see the next Xbox and PlayStation at least within the $300 range after the costly lessons learned this generation.

i'm going from the trend nintnendos other consoles

nes-innovates
snes-same thing with better ghraphics
n64-innovates
gc-same thing with better graphics
wii-innovates

so the next wii will have better graphics but not innoivate any, and the the one after that will have virtual reality or something lol.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47568

brawl friendcode - 3823-8201-9151

mario kart wii friendcode - 0387-9491-4552

PM me if you add me plz.

150vg$ bet(with haggy) mk wii 2009 worldwide sales > any 360/ps3 game released in 2009.

current mk wii worldwide sales (jan 9th): 553k

Good point vonboy, but we also have to remember that Nintendo allegedly has learned from their mistakes and will be looking for new and creative ways to not only disrupt the market but keep up their product appeal. Whether this will happen or not is beyond any prediction at this point, but given their new management and company structure, I'm pretty sure they'd at least try to avoid the mistakes of the past.