By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should Sonic be like Mario?

disolitude said:
kylohk said:

I'd hope Mario would be more like Sonic and have more frequent games in the series!

A mario game is no greater than the olympics or world cup, yet we see one new game every 6 years!

As for Sonic Unleashed, I really liked both the day time and werehog stages. What I don't like however, is a completely 2D Sonic game in a 3D capable console. 2D games stay on handhelds.

Here are all the games Mario has made apperances in the last 2 years (2007-2008). Quite a lot... Sonic makes lots of games, but mario makes more.

Mario Kart Wii

Mario Super Sluggers

Mario Strikers Charged

Mario Party DS

Mario Party 8

Super Mario Galaxy

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

Super Paper Mario

Wario Land: Shake It

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

>:( I meant main games not spinoffs.. Also how is Wario Land: Shake It a Mario title?

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network

He's the closest thing that there is to Mario.

Am I wrong?

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

@SmokedHostage

Wario Shake it is like Knuckles, Tails or Shadow getting their own games. Like Shadow the Hedgehog for example...

Wario is part of the Mario universe but in no way a Mario game. That would be like calling Mario a Donkey Kong game. He did originate in Donkey Kong.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

It depends on whose benefit you want to speak for.

If it's the player's benefit, where we get only one Sonic game every once in a while but it's utterly fantastic, then yes, I think Sonic should be like Mario.

If it's for Sega's benefit, then no. The periodic releases of games are an important, probably vital source of income for the company, and sales of the game probably wouldn't increase in proportion to its cost. Diminishing returns is a pain, in other words.

But then, even if they did take the time, I'm ot sure that any amount of polish would be able to fix up concepts as flawed as the ones that Sega has been throwing out for years. Sonic's best hope may lie in an entirely different team getting hold of it.

Around the Network

Honestly, what Sega should do is either hire some talent at Sonic Team disband them all together. They have been putting out nothing but trash for some time now. They need to do what Eidos did with Tomb Raider and give Sonic to another development team. I for they should hand the reigns over to Dimps.

Even when they were constrained by Sonic Teams bad design choices, Werehog...come on guys *sighs*, they still managed to make a better Sonic game. Sonic Unleashed on Wii is better than its HD counterparts. Not only that when Dimps is given development freedom they come up with gems like Sonic Rush.

BMaker11 said:
You mean having something along the lines of Sonic, Sonic 2, Super Sonic Adventures, Super Sonic Adventures 2, Sonic and Friends, Super Sonic Galaxy, Super Sonic Bros. etc. and then have Sonic be in every possible sports game ever along with cameos in various other games?

No, he should not be like Mario

Dude, you lie. If Sega could make Sonic games of that quality and the caliber of the Mario games you listed. I know you would own every one of them as well as every one else. Mario games sells because they are good.

On topic: I think Sega should do more Mario and Sonic games. I can see them team up in an RPG like the Super Mario RPG for the Snes or the Mario and Luigi RPGs. This would allow Sega the opportunity to develop Sonic more as a character and flesh out his abilities.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

Sonic Unleashed is a good Title, i havent bought it yet but played it the other day and i dont see Werehog levels being that bad. True Sega fails to recreate Sonics magic in 3d but i always think that Sonic fans and reviewers are ridicilously hard to please and they always want the game to be different.

@Darc Requiem

Did you play both versions? I have the 360 version and have rented the wii version. The 360 version is definetly much more polished by a mile. The wii controls make the Wii version better but in no way is the Wii version better technically. Sonic Team designed both version...Dimps jsut made sure it can run on the wii.

The werehog levels are not terrible by any means. Combat is pretty bad but the platforming in those levels is the best platforming ive played since mario Galaxy.

disolitude said:
@Darc Requiem

Did you play both versions? I have the 360 version and have rented the wii version. The 360 version is definetly much more polished by a mile. The wii controls make the Wii version better but in no way is the Wii version better technically. Sonic Team designed both version...Dimps jsut made sure it can run on the wii.

The werehog levels are not terrible by any means. Combat is pretty bad but the platforming in those levels is the best platforming ive played since mario Galaxy.

No I haven't played both versions. So it was unfair of me to declare the Wii Version superior.