By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Looks Like The 360 "only" Sold about 350k in NA last week.

http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2008/dec08/12-01Xbox360BlackFridayPR.mspx

REDMOND, Wash. — Dec. 1, 2008 — Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system kicked off the holidays with record-breaking console sales on one of the biggest shopping weekends of the year in the U.S. Retailers reported Xbox 360 console sales over the Black Friday weekend were on pace to beat previous years, outselling the PlayStation 3 by a three-to-one ratio and estimating a 25 percent increase from Xbox 360 Black Friday sales figures from 2007.

Strong game sales rounded out a historic Black Friday for Xbox 360, with record-paced software sales continuing for key Microsoft titles, such as “Gears of War 2,” “Fable II,” and “Lips.” Xbox 360 continues to have the highest game attach rate of any console at 8.1 games per console.

“We entered into the Black Friday sales period with cautious optimism, knowing that dollar for dollar, Xbox 360 offers more social entertainment value than any other console on the market,” said Don Mattrick, senior vice president of the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft. “Record Black Friday sales in the U.S., coupled with our existing global install base of 25 million and an online community of more than 14 million Xbox LIVE members, have laid the groundwork for continued global sales momentum in 2009.”

Xbox 360 sales have also surged worldwide since the September price drop, outselling the PlayStation 3 week over week across Europe. Console sales in Europe are up as much as 400 percent, with sales nearly double year over year and reaching 7 million consoles sold this generation.

With a mass-market price point starting at $199.99 worldwide (estimated retail price) for Xbox 360 Arcade, a games lineup of more broad-appeal social titles than any other platform, and the recently launched New Xbox Experience, Xbox 360 is leading the industry and inviting everyone to play.

Ok, so. A 25% increase over last year... Last year was like 270k, which would put the 360 at about 350k or so. NOW... I realize that they are just talking about BF only was 25% up, but that is by far the biggest sales day of the week, so unless the rest of the week was up like 500% there is no way the 360 could have sold anywhere near 500k. 400k is the max.

But, Applying the 25% to the who week actually skews the number higher. Due to the fact that all of the crazy deals were on that day. Either way, unless MS does not know what they sold... 500k seems out of reach.

the good part is, that 350k is freaking awsome. For PS3 fans... divide the 360 number by 3... eww.... (could be some number spinning by ms there..)

Seriously, It does not seem right, but it straight from the horses mouth.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

You are such a hater.

THIS ARTICLE IS TALKING ABOUT the weekend.

ioi estimates was for the whole week.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

did u read it? I accounted for that... be logical plz.

Did you see all these people fighing to get their hands on the 360. I mean, I'm no MS fan, but the system is on fire, deal with it. They sold 300k in Others, 500k is nothing in NA.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
bigjon said:
did u read it? I accounted for that... be logical plz.

Do you have the number of last year's weekend? (not the week, only the weekend)

Around the Network

I will continue to believe it sold as much as ioi reported until proven otherwise. I have no reason to doubt him, whereas I have reason to be cautious about any estimations where one uses EXACTLY 25% as a factor for the estimate.

Interesting thoughts though.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Yea, I also read stories about people killing people for their PS3's near its launch and look where that got em.

Plz- read what they wrote, compare that stats, and make your own conclusion. It like ur whole argument is backed up by some Youtube video...

Maybe MS messed up, for the sales to be where ioi says they are we would need at least a 75% increase (AT A MINIMUM). Seeing that 500k is nearly double what was last year. Also your video was taken on BF the day this article is about.

Actually last year for the week was 310k and those numbers are straight from Microsoft. Look it up. What is more is this is merely their internal estimate for the weekend in just the US.

bigjon said:
Yea, I also read stories about people killing people for their PS3's near its launch and look where that got em.

Plz- read what they wrote, compare that stats, and make your own conclusion. It like ur whole argument is backed up by some Youtube video...

Maybe MS messed up, for the sales to be where ioi says they are we would need at least a 75% increase (AT A MINIMUM for the whole week). Seeing that 500k is nearly double what was last year. Also your video was taken on BF the day this article is about.

fixed

Few notes:

1) Microsoft said that they sold 310,000 on Black Friday last year - US only
2) VGC includes numbers for Canada (7-8%) and Mexico (3-5%) along with US numbers
3) Microsoft "estimated" the 25% increase

So the question becomes:

What if the X360 actually increased more than 25% once everything was said & done?
What if the 310,000 didn't include weekly sales?

Depending on how one answers those 2 questions, you could get a number anywhere from 400,000 at the low end, to 500,000+ on the high end - well within what VGC has stated.

And for official numbers, lets use what's available, as per Microsoft's statements:

1. The X360 sold 310,000 on Black Friday in 2007...310,000

2. There was a 25% increase this year....387,500

3. There is another 12% increase for CAN and Mexico...434,000

So 434,000 would be a realilistic median for what Microsoft states that they sold during Black Friday.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.