By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Keyboard/Mouse Support for Unreal Tournament III on PS3!

Wait...who's getting implants?

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
Warlord_ said:
I'm not seeing how this gives the players using a keyboard/mouse combo an advantage, i've always found that playing with a controller is much better.

Haha!  Blasphemy!

It's not bad...a controller certainly has its place...and console-specific shooters are fine...but games that allow fast, mouse-speed movement should utilize a mouse and keyboard...it's infinitely faster and more accurate.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

There is absolutely no question in my mind that I can play better on a keyboard/mouse than on a controller, but that may be my thousands of hours playing FPS's on computers kicking in. Some people who never played with that set up may actually find a controller easier.

Besides, this may help take away my complaint that PC gamers would have with the PS3 version. If the keyboard can bind keys to fast swap and other things tournament players like to use (I.E. binding a key for a no animation instant swap between lightning gun/shock rifle) they may not scoff at it so.

-Edit-
Ken, Killzone wanted D cups because he thought he could make money with them. I too am confused.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

most of the the first gen. fps games on the PS2 supported the keyboard and mouse setup though the 2 usb ports.
Red Faction, Quake 2 Arena, Red Faction 2, Soldier Of Fortune, etc ...
after MOHAA which was Dual Shock only, most fps games dropped support for keyboar dna mouse, happy to see dev's are picking up on this option, lets hope we see some cross platform play now.
The best implementation of cross platform play was Quake 3 (PC) vs. Quake 3 (dreamcast)

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>

Good news ,I would like to know if the FragFX is also supported .....I suppose so as it simply substitutes the joypad but not sure .

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
Warlord_ said:
I'm not seeing how this gives the players using a keyboard/mouse combo an advantage, i've always found that playing with a controller is much better.

Haha! Blasphemy!

It's not bad...a controller certainly has its place...and console-specific shooters are fine...but games that allow fast, mouse-speed movement should utilize a mouse and keyboard...it's infinitely faster and more accurate.

Or developers could just gimp the mouse and keyboard to try and make it fair too. Kind of like what happened with the PC port of Halo. You go from playing Counter-Strike with it's precise movements to Halo with a sloppy and dumbed down movement, it definatly takes some getting used to. 

I'm sure my Logitech G5's sensitivity adjuster will come in handy if they do dumb it down for mouse and keyboard players. I don't like feeling like I'm playing in slow motion when I try and look around (my Counter-Strike 1.6/CZ sensitivity is about 12. 

Diomedes1976 said:
Good news ,I would like to know if the FragFX is also supported .....I suppose so as it simply substitutes the joypad but not sure .

I would imagine so, it's pretty much just the Sixaxis, but they've changed it around a bit. Using the mouse is pretty much the same as using the right analog stick with the left and right buttons being the same as the R1 and R2. The left side of the controller is left the same and you get the shape buttons on the side of the mouse.

What? Six-Axis isn't enough for Unreal Tournament III?

This can only be GREAT news for the PS3. It was hinted at a while ago, I thought confirmed, but to get another confirmation just months from release is excellent news indeed.

I will be trying out both k/mouse and SixAxis and will make a decision about which I like most. More options can ONLY be a good thing and having more options does not mean the PS3 is becoming more like a PC because it certainly isn't.

Warlord_ said:

The few times that games have allowed controller-based gaming to compete against keyboard/mouse-based gaming, the controller players have gotten demolished. Not just beaten, demolished. This is true for three genres: RPG, FPS, and RTS, which is basically every type of online competitive gaming, right now.

It's bad enough that Infinity Ward, Valve, and Id, among others, have specifically stated that they won't include cross-platform play in their games (CoD4, Team Fortress and HL2, among others) because it's unfair to controller users.

As others have said, controllers are fine, they have their place, and in a few genres they are superior; but for most skill-based gaming, there's mountains of empirical evidence suggesting that Keyboard/Mouse are simply technically superior. If you're more comfortable with the controller, no problem -- we're just talking technical proficiency.

For those who think I'm making things up (silly of me not to support with evidence!):

http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=554
http://kotaku.com/gaming/no,-thanks/infinity-ward-not-fans-of-cross+platform-play-269062.php 

The second article is particular significant. Relevant text:

Our rep left us a message saying 'hey, want to talk about this, Live Anywhere, it's big, it's cool', and I thought, well yeah, if you're playing online poker, but who wants to be playing an RTS on a console and have some guy on a PC clicking and dragging all his troops, attacking your base while you're sitting there with your thumb sticks. So I think for FPSs and RTSs, no way, but for, y'know, card games or Tetris or something like that. There are games that I think it's cool for, but there are other games where I don't think there's any point. So they just didn't respond.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">