By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Call Of Duty : World At War (COD5) KILLED Resistance 2 Sales!!

Barozi said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Barozi said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Yeah, and internet killed the video star, so what?

If it's any help, CoD WaW will probably outsell Gears 2, as well.

Combined PS3 and 360 sales - yes it will.

PS3 only sales - no

360 only sales - tough call... probably not

The 360 version is only a million behind it, and CoD4 did better than Gears1 on 360. WaW 360 is currently doing better than CoD4 360 at respective points in time.

Out of interest, I also looked up the sales of a few other titles on the PS3 that had slow launches but went on to do quite well:

Ratchet and Clank - 130,000 first week (less than R2), 1.43 million lifetime.
Uncharted - 135,000 first week (less than R2), 2 million sales lifetime.
Heavenly Sword - 106,000 first week (less than R2) 1.23 million lifetime
Need for Speed Pro Street - 180,000 first week (less than R2), 1.41 million lifetime.

FPSs tend to do better than these games, as they appeal to a greater audience, also the online component will attract new players for a while, and DLC could attract new players and bring in extra revenue for it (needless to say, it won't be a financial loss).

R2 did 270,000 first week without Others, CoD4 did 445,000 including others first week (~265,000 without others)

CoD4 was easily the best shooter last year, that's where those sales came from. CoD:WAW won't have those amazing lags. I think it will not reach 6 million units on 360. Gears 2 maybe has a chance.

Gears 1 did as well as it did because of its marketing campaign, it's omg graphics, and its fresh gameplay. The Gears2 campaign was non-existant compared to the first, the graphics are not as mindblowing, and the gameplay's been done before. Whatsmore, Gears was one of the first must-have titles with little competition, and people buying a 360 over the next year or so didn't really have much else choice to pick up. Gears 2 has a much stronger competition, and new 360 purchasers in the future will have a much larger back catalogue of games to pick up on.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:

I had said this many weeks ago & now reality is coming knocking up our doors.

Call Of Duty : World At War has managed to cross 1 Million on the Ps3 in a matter of 2 weeks....almost making it within the first week...

it ranks as I believe the 3rd or 4th biggest launch of a Ps3 game ever....right behind MGS4.

A week earlier Resistance 2 is launched and comes out to comparatively mediocre sales.

Now in UK....Resistance 2 in its DEBUT week CHARTED BELOW COD:WAW in its 2nd week.

Also in UK -- Resistance 2 debuted to sales of 2/3 BELOw Resistance 1's week 1....this is P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C as Resistance 1's week 1 was in PS3's launch week!!

NA -- COD : WAW has managed to do in its FIRST WEEK in sales (390K) what Resistance 2 has still failed to do by its 4th week (only at 360K)

EU -- who knows what will happen here....if it follows UK's trend very worrying for Resistance 2.

So why has a sequel to a title which sold 3.6 Million not done well (Resistance wasn't bundled heavily).

Because of COD4 is my answer....COD4 led to COD becoming a mainstream monster & now people think COD = quality (which it actually may as metacritic wise COD:WAW>>R2)

Resistance 1 never had COD4 to compete against.....now COD5 has become the GTA 4 that managed to halt Saints Row 2's relative success.

_________

SONY could've never predicted Call Of Duty will negatively affect R2....well it just has.

Thank God Killzone 2 is miles away from a release of a Call Of Duty

ok this is redicious, your bascially saying that codwaw is better than resistance 2 based on sales. resistance 2 just got released in europe, and they having supply shortages, not to mention those sales are only american sales, and we all know ps3 games sell better other places in the world thats not america.

im tired of ppl like you judging a game based only on sales, i own both games, and codwaw sucks ass. its has the most boring campaign i ever played. most of my friends already gave up beating the game, and its not that they suck, the campaign is boring and hard. and they all agree resistance 2 is a much better game

COD WaW is getting great reviews from my friends. I didnt plan on picking it up but I think I will have too. I think the PS3 version alone will sell more then R2 + KZ2. COD is a beast!

FPSrules said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Call Of Duty : World At War has managed to cross 1 Million on the Ps3 in a matter of 2 weeks....almost making it within the first week...

it ranks as I believe the 3rd or 4th biggest launch of a Ps3 game ever....right behind MGS4.

A week earlier Resistance 2 is launched and comes out to comparatively mediocre sales.

Now in UK....Resistance 2 in its DEBUT week CHARTED BELOW COD:WAW in its 2nd week.

Also in UK -- Resistance 2 debuted to sales of 2/3 BELOw Resistance 1's week 1....this is P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C as Resistance 1's week 1 was in PS3's launch week!!

NA -- COD : WAW has managed to do in its FIRST WEEK in sales (390K) what Resistance 2 has still failed to do by its 4th week (only at 360K)

EU -- who knows what will happen here....if it follows UK's trend very worrying for Resistance 2.

So why has a sequel to a title which sold 3.6 Million not done well (Resistance wasn't bundled heavily).

Because of COD4 is my answer....COD4 led to COD becoming a mainstream monster & now people think COD = quality (which it actually may as metacritic wise COD:WAW>>R2)

Resistance 1 never had COD4 to compete against.....now COD5 has become the GTA 4 that managed to halt Saints Row 2's relative success.

_________

SONY could've never predicted Call Of Duty will negatively affect R2....well it just has.

ok this is redicious, your bascially saying that codwaw is better than resistance 2 based on sales. resistance 2 just got released in europe, and they having supply shortages, not to mention those sales are only american sales, and we all know ps3 games sell better other places in the world thats not america.

im tired of ppl like you judging a game based only on sales, i own both games, and codwaw sucks ass. its has the most boring campaign i ever played. most of my friends already gave up beating the game, and its not that they suck, the campaign is boring and hard. and they all agree resistance 2 is a much better game

The campaign is fucking awesome, what the hell are you on about? The Russian levels are by far the best I've played in a CoD game thus far, and the American levels were above-average at their low points.

@ samuel
The campaign is fucking awesome, what the hell are you on about? The Russian levels are by far the best I've played in a CoD game thus far, and the American levels were above-average at their low points.

Sounds good.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
@ Xen.. Clutching at straws much?...

it is in stock where it matters.. Game, HMV, Asda, Play, Gamestation etc etc.

asda didnt hav it on launch day, niether did tesco or currys............thats the 3 places i trid b4 game.............im suprised at sales though........it shud go on to sell well.............game is superb as hell

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

PDF said:
reask said:
In all fairness this game was been hyped as the ps3 gears of war so you have to ask youself what did happen.

I mean cod5 didnt do gears any harm.

Not trying to troll but facts are facts.

Internet hype honestly never means it will have good sales.  It needs mainstream hype which COD has and R2 doesnt.

KZ2 - All internet hype, no mainstream hype

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

FPSrules said:
darthdevidem01 said:

_________

ok this is redicious, your bascially saying that codwaw is better than resistance 2 based on sales. resistance 2 just got released in europe, and they having supply shortages, not to mention those sales are only american sales, and we all know ps3 games sell better other places in the world thats not america.

wow.....some people flamed me for saying "COD:WAW didn't deserve to beat Resistance 2 sales"

now your saying the opposite.

I havn't said ANYWHERE COD:WAW is better due to sales or COD:WAW isn't good enough to NOT beat or deservingly beat R2 in sales (as other people have told me).....I said.....METACRITIC wise its a better game so that may be a contributing factor to its higher sales.

Where do these people come from {sigh}

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

kowenicki said:
@ skee.. I thougth Tesco were abandoning the PS3 they have online recently havent they?

http://www.tesco.com/entertainment/ps3/

@kowenicki

uhh...no

why on earth would they abandon it?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey