By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Call Of Duty : World At War (COD5) KILLED Resistance 2 Sales!!

FishyJoe said:
Username2324 said:

Well we know that Others has the largest userbase, and that America is 360 shooter country. Is it going to sell a million in its first week of Others? I'm pretty sure it won't, but will it sell say 400,000 to keep on par with COD5? I think that's a much more likely scenario.

Either way, I'm getting tired of the "Oh it must be an awful game because it didnt sell 2 million in 24 hours" crap. Honestly, it's a game, you like it or you don't, should how much it has sold in comparison to other games matter? The game is going to be very profitable for the developers, and fun for consumers. Why bicker that it won't sell as many as a series thats 5 games long.

Except for the most extreme lunatic fanboys, nobody is saying it's an awful game. But since this is a sales forum on a sales site, sales matter. If you don't want to discuss sales on a sales forum on a sales site, why are you here?

Aren't you tired of the "OMG R2 DIDNT OUTSELL GEARS 2, ITS A FAILURE!!!!!" and the "DEAR GOD LBP IS COMPLETELY NEW GAME WITH NOTHING GIVE ANYONE AN IDEA OF WHAT ITS ABOUT AND IT DIDNT SELL A BAZILLION COPIES!" and the "LBP = LITTLE BIG FLOP" and the "MOTORSTORM 2 DIDNT SELL A GAZILLION SO IM NOT BUYING THE GAME".

I've got no problem with sales, I enjoy predicting sales and discussing sales. But recently people have been so immature about it and flaming is out of control.

Around the Network
Username2324 said:

Aren't you tired of the "OMG R2 DIDNT OUTSELL GEARS 2, ITS A FAILURE!!!!!" and the "DEAR GOD LBP IS COMPLETELY NEW GAME WITH NOTHING GIVE ANYONE AN IDEA OF WHAT ITS ABOUT AND IT DIDNT SELL A BAZILLION COPIES!" and the "LBP = LITTLE BIG FLOP" and the "MOTORSTORM 2 DIDNT SELL A GAZILLION SO IM NOT BUYING THE GAME".

I've got no problem with sales, I enjoy predicting sales and discussing sales. But recently people have been so immature about it and flaming is out of control.

But the person you were responding to did none of those things. In fact he presented factual evidence without any fanboyism.

Onyxmeth said:
Username2324 said:
Onyxmeth said:
Username2324 said:

Yes let's call this one with sales data from only one region on Resistance 2, that's smart....

(Well two, but Japan doesn't count for much..)

Just because there isn't complete sales data yet does not mean we can't evaluate the one region and look into why it's performing so poorly there in comparison to Call of Duty. Then again, maybe we should do what Sony wanted us to do in the first place and compare it to Gear 2 instead. Sorry, it doesn't hold weight in that comparison either.

Now it's your turn to come up with an excuse as to why Resistance 2 isn't performing spectacularly in it's first weeks. If I were you, I would go for the "slow burn" or "it will have legs" scenario, since that buys time. It's popular on this board also, so it's sure to have a few supporters quote you for truth.

Well we know that Others has the largest userbase, and that America is 360 shooter country. Is it going to sell a million in its first week of Others? I'm pretty sure it won't, but will it sell say 400,000 to keep on par with COD5? I think that's a much more likely scenario.

Either way, I'm getting tired of the "Oh it must be an awful game because it didnt sell 2 million in 24 hours" crap. Honestly, it's a game, you like it or you don't, should how much it has sold in comparison to other games matter? The game is going to be very profitable for the developers, and fun for consumers. Why bicker that it won't sell as many as a series thats 5 games long.

I don't know where you got the impression that I was judging this game's quality at all. I'm simply sticking to the topic at hand, which is comparing sales between COD: World at War and Resistance 2.

If you don't want to compare a game that is on it's first sequel as opposed to a game on it's fourth, then fine. Why don't we do what I said previously and compare why it's underperforming in comparison to Gears 2? I've given quotes from Sony's US VP of Marketing Scott Steinberg stating that Resistance was put in the hunt with Gears 2, so I suppose it's not unrealistic to assume that Sony may have expected more from Res 2 than they got thus far.

I never said you were judging the quality based on sales, but so many others are. And yes, Resistance 2 has underperformed most peoples expectations. You want to compare it to Gears 2, well thats simple. Let's look at 360 launches and PS3 launches, you see more people going out and waiting in lines for hours or even days for 360 games than for PS3 games. Does that mean one game is better than the other? No, just that 360 fans tend to be... How should I put it... They tend to be more driven to get the game the second its available. Whereas PS3 fans like to talk about the games, but never really get around to buying them.

It's less about the game, and more about the console owners. VGChartz itself shows that 360 owners buy more games (And obviously has a larger userbase), so you should expect based on those two facts alone that a 360 game will outperform the PS3 one.

It's actually quite funny, when a PS3 game underperforms we get dozens of threads about it, but what about the multiplats that have done better on PS3? How come no one cares about those? In my eyes its quite an accomplishment, 6 million fewer fans and a lower attach ratio yet it manages to out sell its 360 counterpart... Anyways I'm beginning to ramble.

FishyJoe said:
Username2324 said:

But the person you were responding to did none of those things. In fact he presented factual evidence without any fanboyism.

We're having a discussion, did I say he said those things?

Username2324 said:
FishyJoe said:
Username2324 said:

Except for the most extreme lunatic fanboys, nobody is saying it's an awful game. But since this is a sales forum on a sales site, sales matter. If you don't want to discuss sales on a sales forum on a sales site, why are you here?

I don't know about Fishy, but I'm tired of a whole lot of repeated threads. I'm not sure what those have to do with this one though. If you can't take the doom and gloom threads, then avoid message boards. You know this is how it works. When you're down you get kicked repeatedly until you get back up. It happened to all of them. Sony is currently enjoying the benefit, because they are screwing up in marketing, and because their original game plan is showing it's downside once again. That is not here nor there though. This is about Resistance 2, and the discussion is about comparing it's sales, because frankly, they aren't all that impressive when you look at the competition. Sure it's turning a profit, but games like Resistance 2 are supposed to do a lot more than simply turn a profit.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network
Username2324 said:

I never said you were judging the quality based on sales, but so many others are. And yes, Resistance 2 has underperformed most peoples expectations. You want to compare it to Gears 2, well thats simple. Let's look at 360 launches and PS3 launches, you see more people going out and waiting in lines for hours or even days for 360 games than for PS3 games. Does that mean one game is better than the other? No, just that 360 fans tend to be... How should I put it... They tend to be more driven to get the game the second its available. Whereas PS3 fans like to talk about the games, but never really get around to buying them.

It's less about the game, and more about the console owners. VGChartz itself shows that 360 owners buy more games (And obviously has a larger userbase), so you should expect based on those two facts alone that a 360 game will outperform the PS3 one.

It's actually quite funny, when a PS3 game underperforms we get dozens of threads about it, but what about the multiplats that have done better on PS3? How come no one cares about those? In my eyes its quite an accomplishment, 6 million fewer fans and a lower attach ratio yet it manages to out sell its 360 counterpart... Anyways I'm beginning to ramble.

The high profile games get the most discussion. That would include R2 and G2. If there were high profile games that did better on the PS3 we'd probably have many discussions about it. That's just not been the way it's worked out for the most part.

Agreed, but how many Resistance 2 threads have been made? Maybe this is the first comparing R2 to COD, but there have been atleast 5 threads about R2 poor sales.

How many threads does it take to discuss it? But like you said, its almost guaranteed to happen.

Well there were a lot of threads hyping the game not that long ago. So it shouldn't be any surprise that there are now lots of threads discussing the sales.

It wasn't very clever from sony to launch R2 at the same periode than COD... I also think that a traditional shooter (ww2) will have more success than a alien shooter. Don't forget that in europe, reviews weren't great fort this game, just average ... (gamekult...)

Tremble said:
It wasn't very clever from sony to launch R2 at the same periode than COD... I also think that a traditional shooter (ww2) will have more success than a alien shooter. Don't forget that in europe, reviews weren't great fort this game, just average ... (gamekult...)

It wasn't clever to launc R2, LBP, and M2 all at the same time either, just when we were starting to think Sony was turning themselves around....

Based on personal preference I'd prefer the alien shooter, there are just so many ww2 shooters already, I am really quite surprised so many people are still interested.