By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft buying Square Enix?

no

maybe a 360 and not on PS3 agreement. but tahts it.

Around the Network

no, and if they did. they would be referred to as Sellouts in Japan.

Never, the Japanese government would not allow it.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

MrBubbles said:
misterd said:
DirtyP2002 said:
freebird4 said:
mrstickball said:
No. Microsoft is unlikely to buy out another 3rd party after the sub-par success Rare has given MS.

However, it'd be likely that Microsoft could seek to work harder with SE to provide more X360 content.

MS only paid ~$400 million for Rare. BioWare + Pandemic cost EA almost a billion dollars. I wouldn't say Rare was a terrible acquisition. Besides, they've had great success with their other acquisitions (Bungie, Lionhead) and at one point negotiated with BioWare. I'd say they're always in the market to buy, as long as the price is reasonable. S-E price would most certainly not be reasonable.

true. People are underrating the Rare-games today.

Perfect Dark Zero sold 1.44 million

Viva Pinata sold 1.64 million

Kameo sold 700k

We will see what Banjo will do in the future.

Avatars were also developed by Rare.

It is a good thing to have rare on your side. You never know what they are doing, but you are always looking forward to it.

So in 6 years they have sold 4 million Rare games. Assuming these are at $50 a piece*, and MS pockets each and every penny (they don't), they've made back $200 million, and are still $200 million in the hole. At this rate they would have been better off sticking the money into a checking account.

*Yes I know 360 games cost more, but since many of these sales would have been at discounted prices, this is still erring in MS's favor 

XBOX 360
Viva Pinata           
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise   
Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts   
Perfect Dark Zero
Killer Instinct (in development) - Still not announced so far as I know
Kameo

XBL
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie (unreleased)
Goldeneye (unreleased) Unreleased = Not yet made a penny off them
Jetpac Refueled

Xbox
Conker: Live and Reloaded
Grabbed by the Ghoulies - You're kidding with these, right? Neither did anything close to well.

DS
Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise
Diddy Kong Racing DS

GBA
Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge   
Sabre Wulf
It's Mr. Pants!
Banjo Pilot

They also do additional work on the xbox 360, most recently...the NXE

OK, so let's be generous and assume that all those other games gave them another 4 million sold.

Reality is that MS would make at most $25 off each title, likely much less, and that still leaves them substantially in the hole. As for the Avatars, its been 2 years since we got Miis, and Avatars are a pale imitation. Really they're no better than Zwinkys. 

No matter how you cut it, Rare has not come close to earning back the $400 m investment MS made, and the odds are they could have gotten better results had they put that money elsewhere. 

Won't happen, currently MS is divesting itself of studio holdings and instead buying timed exclusives.

Around the Network

The reason why MS won't buy out SquareEnix is the same reason why Sony won't buy out Level5.

Once any of those 3rd party publishers get bought out by a huge 1st party company, the value of the 3rd party company decreases dramatically.
The 3rd party companies typically sustain themselves by making exclusive deals with companies and (most importantly) selling software on multiple mediums.

So if MS/Sony/Nintendo actually does buy out a major 3rd party dev/publisher. It would typically be a lose-lose situation for everyone since...
1. The 3rd party would be devalued by restriction of a smaller audience and less freedom.
2. The 1st party would be paying for a company that has great potential to make money from many sources, but will only get a fraction of the potential they paid for in return. This results in overpaying and the inability to bounce back from the initial payment or profit at all.

Creating a name brand is important, but every company needs to profit first and there are cheaper ways to get the trust of the consumers. The 3 first party publishers know this, and that why (even though everyone of them has had the ability to buy out a major 3rd party dev at one point or another) it hasn't happened already.

I highly doubt and would not probably want to see Microsoft buy Square-Enix. Although I do have to admit that I haven't had the same fervor for them of late but they are still the main reason I've dipped into the HD consoles.

As a side note for RARE I think it had something to do with taking a developer from a rival in addition to getting a developer for self. You have to place a value on what taking RARE from Ninty did to possible sales in addition to any actual sales they do to MS.

“When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life." - author unknown

They should just buy Sony and Nintendo and get the war over with.

|Y|A|O|I|
¯¯¯¯¯¯My anti-drug™

There will be bloodshed should FFThirteen gone Xbox 360 exclusive.

Why would Microsoft pay money for what is essentially a portable gaming company?

xboxportable confirmed? :P

Also, MS is having great success closing studios so they can moneyhat individual games and downloadable content, why change that now?