By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft buying Square Enix?

god forbids this aberration :(

Around the Network
ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
i think its a possiblity, just depends on how much this new ff universe thing ends up costing square-enix. @mrstickball, about rare they werent a 3rd party dev. they were a 2nd party dev , when nintendo owned them and when m$ bought them they became a 2nd party dev for them. also i disagree with your statement about rare not being a good venture for them, all of rare's titles for the 360 have sold over 1 million+ and thats good i think because 2 of them were new ip's and 1 was a prequel(perfect dark zero).

Rare is a 1st party developer for Microsoft.  Nintendo only owned 49% of the company.  Microsoft has 100%

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

DirtyP2002 said:
freebird4 said:
mrstickball said:
No. Microsoft is unlikely to buy out another 3rd party after the sub-par success Rare has given MS.

However, it'd be likely that Microsoft could seek to work harder with SE to provide more X360 content.

MS only paid ~$400 million for Rare. BioWare + Pandemic cost EA almost a billion dollars. I wouldn't say Rare was a terrible acquisition. Besides, they've had great success with their other acquisitions (Bungie, Lionhead) and at one point negotiated with BioWare. I'd say they're always in the market to buy, as long as the price is reasonable. S-E price would most certainly not be reasonable.

true. People are underrating the Rare-games today.

Perfect Dark Zero sold 1.44 million

Viva Pinata sold 1.64 million

Kameo sold 700k

We will see what Banjo will do in the future.

Avatars were also developed by Rare.

It is a good thing to have rare on your side. You never know what they are doing, but you are always looking forward to it.

So in 6 years they have sold 4 million Rare games. Assuming these are at $50 a piece*, and MS pockets each and every penny (they don't), they've made back $200 million, and are still $200 million in the hole. At this rate they would have been better off sticking the money into a checking account.

*Yes I know 360 games cost more, but since many of these sales would have been at discounted prices, this is still erring in MS's favor 

i hope not and if so THE ff would suck

misterd said:
DirtyP2002 said:
freebird4 said:
mrstickball said:
No. Microsoft is unlikely to buy out another 3rd party after the sub-par success Rare has given MS.

However, it'd be likely that Microsoft could seek to work harder with SE to provide more X360 content.

MS only paid ~$400 million for Rare. BioWare + Pandemic cost EA almost a billion dollars. I wouldn't say Rare was a terrible acquisition. Besides, they've had great success with their other acquisitions (Bungie, Lionhead) and at one point negotiated with BioWare. I'd say they're always in the market to buy, as long as the price is reasonable. S-E price would most certainly not be reasonable.

Kameo sold 700k

It is a good thing to have rare on your side. You never know what they are doing, but you are always looking forward to it.

So in 6 years they have sold 4 million Rare games. Assuming these are at $50 a piece*, and MS pockets each and every penny (they don't), they've made back $200 million, and are still $200 million in the hole. At this rate they would have been better off sticking the money into a checking account.

*Yes I know 360 games cost more, but since many of these sales would have been at discounted prices, this is still erring in MS's favor 

XBOX 360
Viva Pinata           
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise   
Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts   
Perfect Dark Zero
Killer Instinct (in development)
Kameo

XBL
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie (unreleased)
Goldeneye (unreleased)
Jetpac Refueled

Xbox
Conker: Live and Reloaded
Grabbed by the Ghoulies

DS
Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise
Diddy Kong Racing DS

GBA
Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge   
Sabre Wulf
It's Mr. Pants!
Banjo Pilot

They also do additional work on the xbox 360, most recently...the NXE

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
I agree with you final point

if FFXIII flops Fabula Nova Crystallis flops

thats why FF13 was made multi-plat....it is the cornerstone for a new FF7 like universe

I'd say it's more like the Final Fantasy Tactics universe. 

I mean Versus seems to have little if anything to do with FF13 and are likely to be different worlds right?

Like Tactics and FF12

misterd said:
DirtyP2002 said:
freebird4 said:
mrstickball said:

Kameo sold 700k

It's not only about direct revenue from the games sold,
but having quality exclusive games also gives the console more exposure and affects the hardware sales, and thereby also the sales of other games

''Hadouken!''

fjburgos said:
d21lewis said:
I remember back when the Final Fantasy movie was coming to theaters, I thought Sony was buying Square. Boy was I wrong. And no. I don't think Microsoft is buying Square Enix.

I think they where in negotiation but didn't happend.

well sony does own like.. 8 percent of the company

Check out my game about moles ^

Doubt it.

4 ≈ One

Not happening.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).