By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Please some explain this to me

What was sony's original strategy with the ps3? What were they specting?

Sony didnt know before launch that the wii was going to be a success, what was sony specting from what was on the market at the moment? The 360 was out and they knew how it performed, good graphics, easy to develop for, etc.

Well ill present the elements that should have been taken into account by sony at the moment of launch and the results.        

Decision

Result

The ps3 is US$600

Budget constrained fan wont buy, fan will  loss of interest, fan's will go for the cheaper similar product  

the cells complex

Dev have to invest more to get the same results as the 360 for better result they need to invest more, hard to    code, not good for game design, event they first party is taking years to produce a "quality" game, the game that where rushed didnt sell and didnt move consoles, third parties go to 360 to reduce cost and sell more, restricted the price reduction capacity per year

Dev kits

Dev kits where provided late, slower at compiling, not efficient at debugging

Competition had a lead

Dev make more money based on user base so the 360 already could move more software and publishers need buyers, and these consoles profit from third parties mainly

Blu ray

The system is sold at  a lower price than its cost to make so those that buy it to use it as a blu ray player and dont buy games are making the company lose money, HD penetration is very low and hd is very expensive so this  feature only appeals to few buyers, restricted the price reduction capacity per year

this from my point of view are things that sony should have known before the launch of the ps3 that's way i took the wii out of the scene, sony didnt knew that before launch. i have written what happen but, what was sony specting from this decisions?? they say the US$600 was an strategic price, well if the strategy was not to sell the ps3 it was an  excellent strategy. Anyway what was their plan, what was supposed to happen according to their calculation????

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Around the Network

Quit trolling. We don't care anymore.

Sony expected a lot of PS2 owners to go out and show brand loyalty and purchase a PS3. What Sony failed to realize was that gamers were happy with their PS2s. The promise of better graphics and HD didn't sway PS2 owners to buy a PS3. Actually, one of your points was right on the money. At $600 the budget conscious consumers weren't going to purchase a PS3. I don't know where Sony came up with their numbers. If you look at the PS2 it took off when the price point was $199 in 2002. It took two years for the PS2 to drop to $199 but the launch price was $299. The PS3 has seen similar price drops in its first two years just not as drastic. The PS3 launched at $599 after it's first year we saw Sony remove components to drop the price of the PS3. The problem was as expensive as it was and still is to manufacture the PS3 they had to take a hit to gain market penetration. The Wii release hurt Sony as it took away market share that Sony banked on. The Wii of course has become a phenomenon. Sony never expected the Wii to succeed and when it did Sony had to go back to the drawing board. Sony has gained some momentum but not as much as their sales are beginning to waver again.

Three things lead to the slow start of the PS3 .

1) Price point too high. ($599 was insane.)
2) The success of the Wii (Very unexpected by Sony)
3) Games were at a premium for the first 18 months of the systems existence. (Out of it's launch titles only three were good, delays on highly anticipated games such as Heavenly Sorwd, Lair and other, turned fans away.)

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

The Price: PS3 anticipation was so high that Sony was drinking their own Kool-Aid. They figured that the Playstation brand alone was so strong that everyone would just accept the console for $600. For what it offered, maybe the price was justified, but a lot of that stuff meant NOTHING to the average consumer.

The Cell: Since the days of the PS2, Sony figured that since they were number one, developers would have to figure out how to create on their systems or be left in the dark. The 360's games at the time weren't at the level that they were during the PS3's development/launch. Sony figured that they were still the only game in town.

Dev Kits: I have no opinion on this.

Competition has a lead: Sony was never the first console to the market. The Saturn and the Dreamcast beat the PS1 and PS2 to the market. Sony even said that the one year head start was no big deal. A member of their PR said that they would overtake Microsoft's lead as quickly as possible and move on. Sony was an expert at kicking Sega's ass, but Microsoft has a lot more resources to draw from.

Blu Ray: Sony's consoles have always launched with the next big media phenomenon. This time, it was the Blu-Ray. Only this time, Blu-Ray is a harder sell to the average public. The difference between CD's and Cassettes or DVD's vs. VHS is not the same as Blu-Ray vs. DVD. Many consumers just don't see the difference. A lot are just content to see a movie. All of the bonus features in the world couldn't justify the upgrade. Even now, while I have a Blu-ray player I'm more inclined to buy a DVD. It's just easier to watch on my laptop, portable DVD player, other rooms, or a friend's house, rather than being confined to my one Blu-Ray player. Sony over estimated the consumer. Not everyone appreciates HDTV yet.

At launch, I was extremely dissapointed buy the Xbox 360. It seemed to be nothing but a slightly more powerful Xbox. By the time the PS3 rolled around, the second generation of 360 titles were able to keep up with what the PS3 was promising. Other factors like online and third party exclusives/multi-plats were unforseeable. Sony just took too much for granted.

Oh yeah, the media! Unprecedented backlash by the media REALLY hurt Sony. The Wii was a media darling. No one spoke of it's shortcomings (even now, most mainstream media like radio talk shows and the news blindly praise the Wii). The 360 was a capable HD alternative to the PS3. Sony was a victim before the PS3 even launched. It was as if a lot of people (including me, even though I don't know why. I loved the PS1 and PS2!) wanted Sony to fail. Maybe it was their smug PR people......

Around the Network
fadetoone said:

More like your trolling.

fadetoone said:

Speak for yourself.  I never get tired of ripping on the PS3. It is a classic example of how an established company turns away its core consumer base with poor business decisions.

Now, if the PS3 ever hopes to become even moderately profitable Sony needs to work some serious magic. 

Sonys aims could of been to create a technological powerhouse made with components to be used in the PS4 aswell. I Think with Blu Ray and Cell Sony are looking at the bigger picture. They realize how well a cheap PS4 will sell .

I think SMcc1887 above seems on the mark, next gen I don't think there will be much change in what Son'y does. An upgraded Blu-Ray drive and Cell and more Ram is all that is needed, no establishing a new format as Blu-ray capacity will cover that. Improved and more stable/smaller Cells as well.

PS4 might be half the size of the PS3 and twice as powerful.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
I think SMcc1887 above seems on the mark, next gen I don't think there will be much change in what Son'y does. An upgraded Blu-Ray drive and Cell and more Ram is all that is needed, no establishing a new format as Blu-ray capacity will cover that. Improved and more stable/smaller Cells as well.

PS4 might be half the size of the PS3 and twice as powerful.

Perhaps.  It worked for the Nintendo with the Wii. Sony might try to emulate the same business model.

For Nintendo to remain competitive in the 8th generation theyll have to definitely juice up their next model.

And MS, well, I imagine theyll have something on par with the PS4 when the time comes.