By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2009 Last Chance For SONY? Microsoft Domination Continues

I dont think 2009 is Sony last chance cuz the magical price for a console is usually $249 or $199 not $299. Once it hits $199, that will be PS3's last chance. But I believe that this console gen will last a while and 360 and ps3 will end in a tie cuz i beleive MS will discontinue support for 360 and Sony will keep the PS3 selling about another year or two after the start of the next console gen. thats based on what happened last time but who knows.

Still waiting on a New Road Rash and Legend of Dragoon 2...

PS3 Trophies

Around the Network
Tremble said:
I have to agree on one thing: the playstation 3 really has to sell better in 2009 that it dit in 2008. A 35M userbase by the end of 2009 would be very nice.

That is only 49% increase in a single year ....

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

klarklar said:
I dont think 2009 is Sony last chance cuz the magical price for a console is usually $249 or $199 not $299. Once it hits $199, that will be PS3's last chance. But I believe that this console gen will last a while and 360 and ps3 will end in a tie cuz i beleive MS will discontinue support for 360 and Sony will keep the PS3 selling about another year or two after the start of the next console gen. thats based on what happened last time but who knows.

...... I don't see PS3 hitting the $199 price tag unless Sony makes a SKU that has no built in blu ray player.... Or they will have to take out a crapload of things out if they don't want to go bankrupt.

i see MS only dominating in 09.

Valhalla chip has both CPU and GPU on ONE chip, cost cutting a lot of $$$.

This might lead to a $50 price drop, maybe even a 360 Slim, which will cut costs even more.

Halo Wars and Halo ODST are Halo games, they will create a buzz and be system sellers.

I want the PS3 to do good this year, but not so I can make myself look like a retard by gloating about it on here.....it's because if I spent $400 on it, Sony better give me a damn good reason not to Ebay it. If it wasn't for Home and some '09 exclusives, I would've just bought a 360, so if those don't end up being good, I just won't satisfied with my PS3. Sales numbers don't mean shit.

http://soundcloud.com/cathode

PSN: Parasitic_Link

Around the Network
msnolp said:

It seem like 2009 is another 360's time
with its price tag and strong software

Name some GOOD exclusives that will sell well, that are HUGE hits for the 360 in 09? I honestly can't think of many, The PS3's lineup is going to destroy the 360's, and have you forgotten there will be a price cut for the PS3?

double post

-General_Ram- said:
i see MS only dominating in 09.

Valhalla chip has both CPU and GPU on ONE chip, cost cutting a lot of $$$.

This might lead to a $50 price drop, maybe even a 360 Slim, which will cut costs even more.

Halo Wars and Halo ODST are Halo games, they will create a buzz and be system sellers.

I have it on good authority that Valhalla won't hit the market until early 2010.  The Arcade 360 is likely costing MS more than a few $, as well.  You can't make a console as nice as the 360 for that cheap (yet).  MS is willing to pay to regain marketshare from Sony, hence the holiday cuts.  I really doubt we'll see a 360 price drop next year, though.  MS doesn't want their shareholders to think they're foolish.

RED53DEVILS said:

Below are some points Sony need to do in 2009 that could turn this generation around for them and they could again dominate the market like in the previous two generations :

1) $100 price cut early next year.It could be $50 in the starting and another $50 in the holiday season but a full $100 in the starting would help them hugely as PS2's launch price was $299 and it was a huge success.We don't know if a full $100 in the starting of the of the year will bring more loses to Sony on each console as they are working very hard to reduce the price of the console.It could also bring them profits.

Think inflation. Do you know how much $299 is in present day dollars? Check this out - http://www.curmudgeongamer.com/2006/05/history-of-console-prices-or-500-aint.html

It would come in like $399 today - the same price as the 40gb.

2) Money For Trophies - we don't get money for Achievements on LIVE (360 and PC)

3) Sony takes back multi-platform market

How - look at the software sales - the 360 has been leading for the entire time. Sure, it's sitting at 30 percent, but most of the high-high software sales are on the 360. Sony has to prove they can get more sales than the 360 in order to shut them down. And I can tell you, based on the fact the 360 has maintained the software lead for nearly 3 years, I don't think Sony can stop that domination unless an act of God is involved.

4) MMO’s On Consoles! The End Of Monthly Fees?

It can do that - but who/what is going to pay for them? A free lunch is a limited affair.

5) 360 Has A New Hit Goodbye Ninja Gaiden

There are many weapons in the 360's barn besides Ninja Gaiden.

6) Release of all the blockbuster tittle that are yet to come to the PS3 that are GT5,FF13,FF13 Versus,God of War 3,Uncharted 2,Infamous,Mag,Heavy Rain.

And this will generate sales? Most of those are niche titles - with 3 of them unproven IPs. It reminds me of posts back in the day that went like 'Wait until Lair. Wait until Heavenly Sword. Wait until Little Big Planet. Wait until SOCOM.' It's like a broken record. What made the PS2 awesome? Exclusives. And when you look at the top selling videos games on the PS2, GTA is at the top. Not Gran Turismo - not God of War - not SOCOM, but GTA. And it went multiplatform. It's about making money - and having a price, under $299, to really get interested parties to the table.

Also the PS2 success could help them cause a lot of PS2 owners are waiting for the PS3 to be cheaper

This is the real point I want to address. Guess what - without BC, the PS2 owner gets the same thing he/she would get with a 360 - games that won't play their PS2 games. Why should someone have brand loyalty when the company which touted brand loyalty tossed it aside? Just because a game appeared and sold well on the last gen doesn't mean those folks will automatically pick up the new system this go-round. At least with the 360, gamers (if they want LIVE, they'll have to pick up a hard drive now or a huge memory card) have limited software BC. Yeah, play a lot of Xbox games on your system if you are not feeling the current lineup. Is the BC perfect? Nah - even Sony laughed it off - but guess what - it's the only HD console in town that offers BC off the shelf - unless you find an old 20gb or 60gb hard drive.

Sony is focused on making the PS3 profitable and that may be at the expense of market share. They've lost enough money on the PS3 that they're simply not interested in losing more just to claim second place this time around.

All they're concerned about is maintaining the PS3 as a healthy and viable platform that attracts third party support and earns the gaming division a profit.